Kulelyn's log (ES) - TAC 2016

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Kulelyn
White Belt
Languages: German (N)
Speaks: English, Norwegian
Learns: Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1711

Kulelyn's log (ES) - TAC 2016

Postby Kulelyn » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:28 pm

After a rather chaotic attack on the language (Pimsleur followed by some podcasts and native stuff) I decided to restart learning with a course. At the moment I use three resources: Assimil, Glossika and the Spanish Short Stories from Olly Richards. Unfortunately the audio for the stories came out after I bought the ebook. But I don't think that's a problem. Thanks to the other resources I am quite comfortable with the pronunciation and I have several audio books for later use.

In the last four weeks I was a bit lazy and didn't follow my regular learning routine. I hope to get back on track with this log. With Assimil I finished lesson 42. I should have worked more on last weeks lessons but I didn't find the time. And I did understand everything that I consider to be important (I don't care for food I wouldn't recognize or eat).
Last edited by Kulelyn on Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Spanish
: 25 / 109 Assimil active
: 1 / 6 Books
: 298 / 50000 Output words
: 0 / 3000 Output minutes

Kulelyn
White Belt

Re: Kulelyn's log (ES)

Postby Kulelyn » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:39 pm

Today was quite productive. I worked with today's Assimil lesson in the morning, did a dictation of it in the evening with just one error and listened to all lessons of this week twice. I already understood large parts of the following lessons.

With Glossika I had to look up several of the new sentences because I wasn't sure if I understood the Spanish sentences correctly. I mainly use the GSR (Spaced Repetition) part, but on weekends I tend to pick one of the older Spanish only files and use it for shadowing and dictation.

I finished the first of my short stories too. It was a nice little story with some interesting phrases and words that may be worth putting in my tiny Anki deck.
0 x
Spanish

Kulelyn
White Belt

Postby Kulelyn » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:49 pm

Today I added some Spanish podcasts to my playlist. After listening to the first two minutes I checked if I had hit a weird speed setting. But the podcasts really started mid sentence and the person spoke very fast. After they changed the subject and the interviewee I was able to understand some words and phrases and to keep up with the current topic.

I really suffer from wanderlust and thought about joining the next 6WC with a new (or neglected) language. In the morning I was very sure that I'd avoid looking at other languages until February and in the evening I played with the Russian Course from Duolingo because someone here had linked an explanation how to change the keyboard layout. And because I'm weak. Typing in Russian was funny. It's unbelievable how long it can take to type four letters when you have no idea where they are on the keyboard. First I used a virtual keyboard to show me the position of the letters but the dumb program changes it's layout only if you select your language with the mouse and not with the keyboard the way I use to work. I ended up with consulting a screenshot of the virtual keyboard. I'm curious how long it will take me to learn this layout. All other layouts I learned were very close to the standard German or US keyboards.
0 x
Spanish

Kulelyn
White Belt

Postby Kulelyn » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:23 pm

After playing a bit more with Duolingo Russian I deactivated my account. There are better uses for my time.

The thread about New Year's resolution got me thinking. To start the 6WC with zero knowledge of the language does not seem wise. I should at least be comfortable with reading and writing the letters (writing down what I learn is an important part of my routine). A plan of action, which includes a decision about ressources, would also be necessary. And I won't be able to dive into the language while doing Assimil and Glossika Spanish at the same time. Completely dropping Spanish for six weeks is not an option either. That means I'll have to finish the second part of Assimil and 1000 Glossika sentences in six weeks (somehow this time frame looks familiar). Since it's holiday time and I have only 3 days to work in the coming three weeks, this looks doable. It's all right if I still have some sentences left when the 6WC begins but a solid understanding and knowledge of everything from Assimil is mandatory. If I can't do this, I'll join with Spanish and postpone my Russian adventure.
0 x
Spanish

Kulelyn
White Belt

Postby Kulelyn » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:00 pm

I visited my library to take a look at a Russian textbook from Langenscheidt. The structure looks all right and at the beginning there is a guide how to write the letters and how to combine them in writing. Just what I need. I'll get it at the end of my vacation.

In preparation of the output challenge I wrote my first Spanish text ever and published it on lang-8. It was of course not very difficult and not without errors, but I survived it and will do it again. I'm a bit confused about the use of the direct article in Spanish. At the moment the rule seems to be: If in doubt, do, what looks wrong. I'll look tomorrow if I can find an even better rule.
1 x
Spanish

Kulelyn
White Belt

Postby Kulelyn » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:20 pm

I had to visit the library again and after seeing someone borrowing language material, I decided to get the Russian course immediately. The Russian section is astonishingly small, smaller even than the Vietnamese section. But when I took a look at the selection of non-English foreign language films, I had trouble finding anything that wasn't Russian.

I have postponed using Glossika after looking at the first 20 sentences of the last part. One reason is that I don't need such complicated constructions at this stage and the other is that I am not convinced that all of them are correct. I did not mind the two obvious errors I found in the other parts. While I would have preferred to learn what would you know means in Spanish, the sentence was acceptable because it was correct and I understood it. But with the new sentences I'm not sure what's going on. They might be perfect for all I know; I just feel uncomfortable with them.

Instead I went back to LR the book I was reading before I started with courses: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I have some other audiobooks but this is the only one that I have read before. Since I don't tend to look up words, this is a vital criteria for my first book in a foreign language.
0 x
Spanish

Kulelyn
White Belt

Postby Kulelyn » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:58 pm

All of a sudden the Assimil lessons got much longer which means that I didn't cover as much ground as I'd liked to. The grammar section at the end of the book is a surprisingly big disappointment. I didn't expect it to include more than the absolute minimum of information but even that is missing. I got myself a copy of Modern Spanish Grammar and intend to use it as a reference as long as I'm working with Assimil. When I'm done with the course I'll work thoroughly through the book.

I read/listened to two more chapters of Harry Potter and listened to 2 hours of podcasts. I'm quite content with my comprehension. I guess it's time to look for some tv shows.
0 x
Spanish

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:56 pm

I'm not interested in learning a new language this year...but if I were, it would definitely be Russian! I'm interested in seeing what you decide to do in the new year!
0 x

Kulelyn
White Belt

Postby Kulelyn » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:59 pm

Stelle wrote:I'm interested in seeing what you decide to do in the new year!

Me too. After skimming through some grammar books I wonder if it really is such a good idea to start learning another language now. There is still so much to learn. On the other hand it may be a nice diversion after some really intensive Spanish weeks. I still have three weeks to decide what I'll do.

In the last three days I had to work which means I couldn't do more than one lesson a day. But I listened to several podcasts and to Spanish music while commuting. After noting my inability to find interesting music in my lang-8 posting, I got a suggestion for a band that was actually not bad. Thanks to Spotify I found a lot of related music and often enough even with a transcript.

Midnight is approaching and I guess it's time to lay down my ideas for next year. At the end of the year I want to be really comfortable with Spanish. To reach this I'll study two grammar books and write at least one post every week on lang-8. I also think about starting one of the FSI courses in spring. I'll start a language journal and a new Anki deck. I want to finish reading at least 6 Spanish books, including the one I'm currently reading.

I know I can't stay with one language for a year. 2015 was to be my Turkish year, just in case someone is wondering what I'm talking about. When I have to try something else than Spanish it will be Russian and only Russian. And I won't read the Celtic TAC thread because that is too tempting.
0 x
Spanish

Kulelyn
White Belt

Re: Kulelyn's log (ES) - TAC 2016

Postby Kulelyn » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:29 pm

Since there is a beginner/intermediate team for Spanish and that's the language I want to conquer this year, I decided to join the TAC. I hope this helps me stick with the language throughout the whole year.

I didn't start my language journal yet but I 'm collecting stuff that belongs there. The most important topic at the moment are the tenses. While I do understand the sentences in the lessons, I have no idea what they are talking of when they remark that the indicative is used somewhere. I know that there was some mention of this thingy in some earlier lesson but I have no idea where. Not to mention the fact that I had thought that the indicative is just the opposite of the subjunctive which happens not to be a tense. Today I looked for some short introductions into the topic and tomorrow I'm going to put a concise summary in my journal.
0 x
Spanish

Return to “Language logs”