SalzSäule's Multilingual Mess

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SalzSäule
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), French (?), Czech (Beginner)

Re: SalzSäule's German Log

Postby SalzSäule » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:14 pm

alas the Gods have not looked favourably upon me and have cursed me with a lost voice and mild fever. I am trying to do what I can.

German: Managed to make it through half a class earlier until I yeeted home. Honestly learnt very little, besides "geraspelte Kokosnuss" is how you say desiccated coconut, and "ausformen zu" is "to form into". Just did a quick grammar sheet on the passive and did some revision of the four quizlet sets I've done lately. I've been trying to read today but honestly it's difficult in my current state (though somehow managed it in French?).

French: I've done about another 100 cards today on Lingvist to clear the backlog (135 to go), and I'm considering trying some iTalki lessons because I lit. never speak French at this point. I also read through some of Kafka's Brief an den Vater in French (posted here some pages back) and a little bit of Camus. Also spending more time just randomly flicking through French wikipedia and reading things. I looked in the library for a French textbook yday but nothing grabbed me — I'm there now so I might try again before I leave.

Luxembourgish: Memorie flashcards again, bit of rtl.lu reading. Beyond that, not much. I've got a LB session tomorrow morning so I will probably do something later tonight. Have also been adding LBish words to Wiktionary (DE and EN). If you're ever interested in the Luxembourgish words I'm learning, I often put some of them onto Crosswords which are all archived here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... eYdd17IyLv

Czech: I am checking my bank account soon and buying the Assimil app because I am completely incapable of bringing myself to do Czech and if I invest money into it I will actually use it.
3 x
Da seufzt der Tropf im Purpur unter der unabwälzbaren Last seiner armseligen Individualität; während der Hochbegabte die ödeste Umgebung mit seinen Gedanken bevölkert und belebt.

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:09 pm

:o Did he? No he didn't?! He did. He actually started doing Czech again. -applause-

My voice has returned, I'm still a bit exhausted but we should be back to normal tomorrow. Ohne Weiteres:

* Luxembourgish: Had a class today, it's getting intense because I am in the group of people who already speak German so we can basically understand a lot of spoken Luxembourgish anyway and now 90% of the class is spoken LBish. We did the time and numbers and seasons, nothing super ground-breaking lmao. I decided to pay for the Aurelux app. last night and I think it's worth it (maybe £4 not ~£5 :D) and it's quite modern compared to many other resources. I'm also gonna start working on finishing the powerpoint-flashcards of Luxembourgish common verbs. Also started researching for presentation about region in LB.

* French: Lingvist backlog is finally almost gone. I think after the next monthly payment I will not use it anymore and just rely on wider reading, because some of the flashcards (what is 'apple' in French) are really basic now. Read some more of Kafka letter in FR and was on French wikipedia again. I started doing a bunch of vocab. exercises in a book aimed at débutants as well, which are quite fun. Listened to maybe half an episode of a Hugo Easy French or w.e. it is youtube video. I'm tempted to carry on with an exercise book but it depends on my energy level tonight.

* German: Just reading aloud, some more of Der Tod in Venedig, a bit of Die Geburt der Tragödie for some reason, and just some newspaper articles. I re-did two quizlet sets (for words like e.g. nachjustieren, Rabauke, Flegel), but apart from that very little. I have a backlog of flashcards here staring at me too.

* Czech: How nice to write something here. I bought the Assimil program for it because I just needed to get a grip and I actually quite like their program (it's just the book but digital form, and nicer, and with more exercises). The price depends on exchange rate, but I paid ~£39 which is steep but it's going to be one of my main resources (and the others I won't buy) so I'm okay with that really. It's also good for learning French because the only assimils available for Tcheque are in French. I did the first four lessons and I'm surprised how much I've recalled passively from months ago.

To clarify, I don't really write new words I learnt here for FR/LB/CZ like I do German, because the words I learn in German are much less common, whereas all the others would just be "today I learnt how to say 'whereas'" for example.

I'm trying to use my French knowledge more actively and I can tell it's draining me a lot. I am truly exhausted today and I'm not surprised.
5 x
Da seufzt der Tropf im Purpur unter der unabwälzbaren Last seiner armseligen Individualität; während der Hochbegabte die ödeste Umgebung mit seinen Gedanken bevölkert und belebt.

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:33 am

What exactly Kafka letter are you reading? As an aside - do you read out loud without hearing the sounds first?
0 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:55 pm

german2k01 wrote:What exactly Kafka letter are you reading? As an aside - do you read out loud without hearing the sounds first?

The Brief an den Vater (the whole thing, it's just one letter). I think the French was linked on pg. 4/5 of this blog. There is a radio adaptation of it, so I do both, but I prefer to just read it and sometimes read it aloud myself.
1 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:58 pm

French has to be the next focus now, owing to reasons. It looks likely I will soon also have to do the TestDaF because I don't have any certificate of my language status for a master's degree in Germany (because my literal degree in the language is obviously not enough proof of B2). Not exactly enthralled about it, but no other choice.

Not done massive amounts the past few days except for French. Just lots more music, flashcards (backlog is cleared), using French more with people, putting almost everything I can into French etc. Also like to go onto 'Ba Ba Dum' online game for fun.
1 x

german2k01
Green Belt

Postby german2k01 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:38 pm

Should not be a huge problem for you to pass the exam. I don't know how costly is the test fee.
So what exactly is the major for your master's degree? Some fancy name? :D
1 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:48 pm

german2k01 wrote:Should not be a huge problem for you to pass the exam. I don't know how costly is the test fee.
So what exactly is the major for your master's degree? Some fancy name? :D

It's like £150 or something ridic :cry: which is why I don't want to do it, but I know what German bureacracy is like.

I have a few options in mind. At the moment my preference is, alas, not a fancy name: Border Studies (https://www.uni-saarland.de/en/study/programmes/master/border-studies.html)
1 x

german2k01
Green Belt

Postby german2k01 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:08 pm

Seems interesting hopefully you will be able to find a related job after completion of the degree. What is your current degree? Is it Bachelor's degree?
0 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:33 pm

german2k01 wrote:Seems interesting hopefully you will be able to find a related job after completion of the degree. What is your current degree? Is it Bachelor's degree?

I would like to work in some kind of governmental or administrative office and help out with transnational or translingual affairs, so I am hoping I can get on the way to that. Yes I am currently doing a simple BA in German & Linguistics.
1 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:22 pm

helloo, I completely forgot about here tbh. Updates:

- I have been able to try and not have to do a French language exam until end of February, so I have some time to try and get to B2 lmao.

- I am sitting the TestDaF in just under 3 weeks, and I am tensed.

- Luxembourgish is still happening very occasionally, Czech is paused.

Everything is paused at the moment, besides going through the revisions of French. I'm mostly practicing for German because the test is a priority — currently reading Der geteilte Himmel by C. Wolff, reading a lot of philomag.de articles, and now watching the German dub of Bojack Horseman just for the sake of it. Also watching more German films again, going through a book for the digital TestDaF and have ordered another book for practicing writing skills.
7 x

Return to “Language logs”