SalzSäule's Multilingual Mess

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SalzSäule
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), French (?), Czech (Beginner)

Re: SalzSäule's German Log

Postby SalzSäule » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:11 pm

german2k01 wrote:SalzSaule -- Do you know any podcasts in German that are aimed at the B2 level?

Unfortunately I do not, Podcasts were never (still aren't) massively my thing, apologies !
0 x
Da seufzt der Tropf im Purpur unter der unabwälzbaren Last seiner armseligen Individualität; während der Hochbegabte die ödeste Umgebung mit seinen Gedanken bevölkert und belebt.

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:12 pm

Just popping in to confirm my continued existence. Uni begins again today and I've spent the past few days relocating and dressing up my room.

French, who she? Czech, I don't know her. German? Hanging on by a thread.

I will try and get back in the swing soon :D
5 x
Da seufzt der Tropf im Purpur unter der unabwälzbaren Last seiner armseligen Individualität; während der Hochbegabte die ödeste Umgebung mit seinen Gedanken bevölkert und belebt.

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:37 pm

Okay so I am really bad at sticking to things, but here I am again.

SO lots going on at final year of uni, and it looks like I could potentially be writing not just one but two dissertations (is he mad? yes.), because I think I'd just enjoy exploring German more linguistically than simple reading older literature and being told what themes to look for.

I also started doing Luxembourgish because my university offers a course in it lol and I'm having a great time with that. I think the aim is to be A2 by the end of this year, but I want to hit the higher levels and thanks to my pre-existing knowledge of German + French I would say it's guaranteed if I work at it.

French is still hanging on, I'm back at my weekly language exchange and there are a fair few French speakers there so I am somewhat being more forced to use it.

Besides that I've just been doing German work for my classes, quizlets etc. can't say I've learnt an excessive amount — maybe "nach dem Zufallsprinzip" and "der Schlawiner". They want us to do grammar again and, from the bottom of my heart, I do not care for it.

I will not promise to be more active because I cannot, but I will try harder :-) Hope all are doing well !
5 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:39 pm

Oh my, do my eyes deceive me, is this SalzSäule doing something two days in a row? The format of these posts is gonna have to get way more concise now:

* Luxembourgish: Made a few crossword puzzles, added some more verb flashcards onto powerpoint, and read a substantial amount in general. Created some sentences for tatoeba.org too.

* German: Found a quizlet set and learnt: nachjustieren (re-adjust), Tümpel (pond), dressieren (to train animal), herumkaspern (clown around) and häckseln (chop down) off top of my head. I also read some more of dtv-Sprachatlas book yday but found it dry. Don Quijote is staring at me and I'm tempted to pick it up again.

* French: Trying to catch up with lingvist flashcard reviews and just use a bit more French in general. So annoyed that my own pigritude has left me at the A2-B1 curve for so long.

* Czech: Crying in the corner and desperate for attention.
Last edited by SalzSäule on Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:48 pm

Ahoy-hoy. Let's stick to the standard format:

* Luxembourgish: Created another crossword for animals (the word for squirrel is always wild isn't it: Kaweechelchen), currently adding some more sentences to Tatoeba, and discovered an old learning book called 'Who's afraid of Luxembourgish?' which has phrases in LB/FR/EN and honestly it is a product of it's time. Do you want to know how to say 'a jolly fellow'? then bei diesem Buch biste richtig.

* German: I'm hating the classes at uni, I'm lit. learning nothing at all. We were asked about past participles earlier which I... learned about... in GCSE. I seriously think they're wasting my time.

* French: An attempt is made at the Lingvist flashcards. I need to start getting a grip with French.

* Czech: Continues to cry in the corner.

I think I found my 'ideal' masters degree for next year, which will require B2 French from myself. So... Allons-y !
4 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:44 pm

Hello all!

Luxembourgish: Relatively little done these past few days in terms of 'active' learning. I've been helping update Wiktionary with Luxembourgish words and have indirectly learnt some words that way, and maybe tonight I will submit my first assignment.

German and French: Last night we had a 'German society' meetup at uni and I spoke so much German there, I lit forced my "interlocuteur'' to speak German. And then at some point he was like shall we do French? And we did lmao.

Czech: Continues to cry.

I am going to a sign language session tonight so that should also be fun :D
2 x

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:38 pm

Just out of curiosity at the C2 level are you comfortable in your skin to deal with different German dialects? How is your comprehension level?
0 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:44 pm

german2k01 wrote:Just out of curiosity at the C2 level are you comfortable in your skin to deal with different German dialects? How is your comprehension level?

Depends very largely on the dialect and how far it deviates from standard German. I can read dialects far easier than listen to (naturally), and I am more used to dialects in the Moselle-Franconian region due to where I lived (I can understand some Hessisch but it's one of the hardest dialects even for German natives because it's practically mumbling at a certain point). Plattdeutsch is also 'okay' for me, but the person would have to speak it slower than Hochdeutsch for me to get it. I can read Swiss German dialect but I cannot understand it spoken.

But it's still hard. I mean it's hard for me in English too. I'm back in North England again and I still struggle a fair bit with people here if they have pretty much any accent that is too thick.
3 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:13 pm

What's up. The last couple of days have been slower. The main thing I have to do now is read 'Der Tod in Venedig' which has, after a mere 3 pages, already annoyed me with its writing style.

Luxembourgish: We are now on to learning the weather, and theoretically also numbers (they're all so similar to German to say I 'learnt' them would be an exaggeration). I've been trying to make more crosswords again and I just did one for food vocab. Still helping update Wiktionary and Tatoeba, as well as reading rtl.lu and I think I discovered two new sources earlier. I also keep taking a stab at translating songs from LB into EN on Lyricstranslate. Flashcards on anki too, and another website, naturally. I've also reqd some books for our uni library, but there's no guarantee they'll procure them.

German: Besides the excitement of this book, I've been searching for quizlets too. I found one today with some elevated words — the problem is many elevated words in German are simply their Latinate equivalent, which is often the normal word in English. Off the top of my head the only new ones I remember learning were "Flegeljahre" (for which I had always said Pubertät) and "deplatziert" which I learnt in a new context. Hader/hadern were also re-collections that I'd learnt in the distance past.

French: We are slowly sloughing our way through the lingvist backlog. I still read a fair bit of French because I have a lot of things set to French, but I need to really try to practice more active usage to get further ahead.

Czech: We are still writing Czech even without doing any, in the hopes it will motivate me. I think I'll start back with the Assimil soon because it'll help with French too.
3 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:41 pm

-Theresa may conference dance walk in-

German: Started getting through a mini-doku today about the Wirecard scandal, quite interesting. Have been reviewing all of my Quizlet sets (3 from the class plus 2 actual difficult ones I found), been trying to read Tod in Venedig :| and I ended up reading a little bit of Die Geburt der Tragödie and then realised I was getting massively side-tracked. I'm feeling like getting through Don Quixote again but I know I'll use that as an excuse to not read the books I'm supposed to be reading. Today I recall learning 'spröde' (chapped, brittle, crisp, recalcitrant etc.)

Luxembourgish: Going very well at the moment. Keeping up with crossword creation, submitted my small profile about moi, been using memorie to practice words (https://d.3210.lu/). Started going through another LBish manual which is half-LB and half-FR and mostly consists of dialogues instead of lessons. Have given this less attention recently than German so that can occupy top place.

French: Back on lingvist and trying to clear that backlog. I have switched more of my programs over to French as well and I'm trying to be more comfortable using it. I've also started using Luxembourgish to learn French and vice versa. I think I will pick up Le petit Prince again soon and stumble back through that.

Czech: Do. Not. Ask. I am really considering purchasing the Assimil app thing just so I actually do Czech.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”