SalzSäule's Multilingual Mess

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: SalzSäule's German Log

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:01 am

SalzSäule wrote:Am on the verge of finishing "Brief an den Vater". Hallelujah! Now to re-read it and make notes and highlight the words I was like ? to...

And of course I've now started reading Der Prozeß by Kafka online :lol:
France Culture have a French radio drama adaption of 'lettre au père' part one, part two, text.
1 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), French (?), Czech (Beginner)

Postby SalzSäule » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:26 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
SalzSäule wrote:Am on the verge of finishing "Brief an den Vater". Hallelujah! Now to re-read it and make notes and highlight the words I was like ? to...

And of course I've now started reading Der Prozeß by Kafka online :lol:
France Culture have a French radio drama adaption of 'lettre au père' part one, part two, text.

Hey thanks a lot! I listened to some of it earlier (maybe the first five pages) and it's good. It's still quite challenging because my FR passive skills are ~B1 level, but obviously having read the German already it was easy to deduct in a lot of places.

I think I'll listen to the whole thing after I've done through the book, again, in class :lol:
1 x
Da seufzt der Tropf im Purpur unter der unabwälzbaren Last seiner armseligen Individualität; während der Hochbegabte die ödeste Umgebung mit seinen Gedanken bevölkert und belebt.

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:25 pm

I have made it up to Ch. 3 (of ten) of Der Prozess by Kafka. I've been listening along with the audiobook as well to make it more beneificial. I also tried again to get throughh some of Sein and Zeit by Heidegger, because it's easily the hardest piece of German literature I've ever tried to read and I would like to read more of the existentialists. It's got easier compared to the last time I tried, but honestly who has the patience with terms like "Daß- und Sosein".

I've been watching some Dr Who episodes again, but this time in German dub. And I got through almost all of Resident Evil over the past week (in German) — just one left to goooo.

Oh and a cool thrase I learned today blinde Passagiere = stowaways.

Really struggling to bring myself to do something more active.
3 x
Da seufzt der Tropf im Purpur unter der unabwälzbaren Last seiner armseligen Individualität; während der Hochbegabte die ödeste Umgebung mit seinen Gedanken bevölkert und belebt.

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:01 pm

My inner linguist, being guided through university studies: I accept all linguistic diversity as valid. How different languages arrive at different grammatical structures is fascinating and oftentimes allows us an eye-opening look into the past.

Czech: ten, ta, toho, tu, to, té, ti, ty, těch, tamten, tamta, tamto, tamtoho, tamtu, tamté, tamtěch, tamty, tamti, tento, tato, toto, tohoto, tuto, této, tyto, tito, těchto, tenhle, tohohle, tomuhle, tímhle, téhle, tuhle, tahle, těchhle, těmhle, těmihle...

My inner linguist, now: I accept almost all linguistic diversity.
3 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:07 pm

Today I started reading Fenitschka again. My paperback version has arrived so soon I won't have to read from a PC. Kafka's brief an den vater is now finished and I'll be going back through highlighting any words I care to look up.

The demonstrative section on Czech is bringing me to my wits end and I just want it over with.

And I've been binging some more Dr Who and Torchwood in German :)
1 x

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:12 pm

Wann hast du geschlafen? :lol:
0 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:46 pm

german2k01 wrote:Wann hast du geschlafen? :lol:

N i e m a l s :twisted:
2 x

german2k01
Green Belt

Postby german2k01 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:33 pm

N i e m a l s

ist "nie" der Grund dafür, dass du C2 in Deutsch erreicht hast ;)
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:16 am

SalzSäule wrote:
* Carried on reading Fenitschka and then listening to the audiobook too. I'm currently about 1/4 of the way through the book, even though we're not going to be discussing it at university for two months. This might be the most prepared I've been for anything. Not so many unknown words discovered today, or words that weren't simple compounds. All I recall are Spitz (a breed of dog also apparently called Spitz in English...), and Droschke (a droshky taxi-carriage).
I was looking through past winners of the Prix des lecteurs earlier, one of them was a very short biography of Ms Andreas-Salomé: Lou, histoire d'une femme libre.
1 x

german2k01
Green Belt

Postby german2k01 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:11 pm

SalzSaule -- Do you know any podcasts in German that are aimed at the B2 level?
0 x

Return to “Language logs”