Little by little (TUR, DUT, ITA, FRE)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Sonjaconjota
Green Belt
Languages: German (N) - English, Spanish, Catalan (advanced) - French, Dutch, Italian (intermediate) - Turkish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 24#p192024

Re: Little by little (TUR, DUT, ITA, FRE)

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:54 pm

Weekly update for the 2023 365 Day Challenge

2023/03/06
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary
- preparing material for speaking practice
- started unit 8, workbook
- listening: The Little Match Girl and The Frog Prince (about 20 min total)

Dutch
- reviewed old vocabulary stacks

Italian
- watching: I started a new series, Lidia Poët (1 episode).
- half a topic, Nuova grammatica pratica della lingua italiana
- reading: 3 little chapters Il caso Bramard
I’m not that much into Il caso Bramard, but it is getting a bit more interesting towards the end. I’ll try to finish it soon.

2023/03/07
Turkish 30 min
- working on unit 8, workbook
- listening: The Wolf and the Seven Young Goats, The Fox and the Stork, The Three Little Pigs, (about 30 min total)

Italian
- test at the end of part 5, Nuova grammatica pratica della lingua italiana
- 4 little topics Italienisch - Übungsbuch Grammatik A1-A2
- reading: 7 little chapters Il caso Bramard

2023/03/08
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary
- listening: The Lion and the Mouse, The Shoemaker and the Elves (about 15 min total)

Italian
- reading: 5 little chapters Il caso Bramard
- I don’t think I’ll go on with Lidia Poët. I tried to watch another episode, but the main character is getting on my nerves. A pitty, because I really loved the idea and the backdrop/aesthetics.

2023/03/09
Turkish 45 min
- listening: A Christmas Carol and The Town Musicians of Bremen (about 20 minutes total)

Italian
- reading: the last 8 little chapters of Il caso Bramard
- listening: I started a new audiobook, Io non ho paura by Niccolò Ammaniti (about 45 min)

2023/03/10
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary
- finished unit 8, workbook
- started unit 9, coursebook

French
- listening: 2 episodes Chroniques Criminelles

Italian
- 45 min conversation class

2023/03/11
Turkish 35 min
Wild card day: For this day, I’m counting my listening time towards my 30 minutes, because we were visiting friends in Andorra and had a very busy day.
- finished the explanation part of unit 9, coursebook
- listening: The Nutcracker and Goldilocks (about 20 min total)

2023/03/12
Turkish 35 min
Wild card day: For this day, I’m counting my listening time towards my 30 minutes, because we were visiting friends in Andorra and had a very busy day.
- vocabulary
- I wrote a grammar card for an interesting topic from unit 9 (the use of the buffer letters y, s and n)
- listening: The Snow Queen and Little Red Riding Hood (25 min total)
5 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt
Languages: German (N) - English, Spanish, Catalan (advanced) - French, Dutch, Italian (intermediate) - Turkish (beginner)

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:41 pm

2023/03/13
Turkish 30 min
- I wrote one grammar card (about the word order in sentences).
- I started with the exercise part of unit 9, The Delights of Learning Turkish.
- listening: Snow White and [/i]Thumbelina[/i] (about 25 min total)

Italian
- listening: Io non ho paura (1 h)

2023/03/14
Turkish 30 min
- listening: Peter Pan and The Princess and the Pea (about 15 min total)

Work is challenging right now. I basically have accepted two overlapping translation projects and should get going with the new one while revising the first draft of the “old” one. The reviewing process is excrutiatingly slow, and procrastinating will only make things worse, so I’m trudging through. But it means less time for language learning.
Apart from Turkish, today I’ve only done some teeny-tiny things:

Dutch
- 2 vocabulary puzzles

French
- listening: 3 episodes (1 case) of Crimes - Histoires vraies
- I printed out the lyrics for Mais je t’aime and translated the few words here and there I didn’t understand.

Italian
- I did the same as in French with the lyrics of Il testamento di Tito.

2023/03/15
Turkish 30 min
- working on the exercise part, coursebook The Delights of Learning Turkish, unit 9
- listening: The Fisherman and his Wife and One-Eye, Two-Eyes, and Three-Eyes (about 20 min total)

French
- listening: 1 episode Chroniques Criminelles
- 3 topics [i]Französisch - Die neue Power-Grammatik
(Finally some progress with this! I think I had lugged the book around in my backpack during two weeks or so.)
- I started watching a film, Dernier Domicile connu.

2023/03/16
Turkish 30 min
- working on the exercise part, unit 9

French
- I finished watching Dernier Domicile connu.
- 2 topics Französisch - Die neue Power-Grammatik

Italian
- listening: Io non ho paura (about 1h)

2023/03/17
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary
I thought I might go a bit more into detail about what I’m doing.
I don’t really feel up to a spontaneous conversation, so at the moment I’m preparing more of a presentation or monologue.
As the topic I’ve chosen my history with pets and our two cats.
After writing the text in German, I’ve translated it into Turkish with the help of google translate (being of course critical and careful, because we all know those famous glitches).
My idea is to study both the key vocabulary individually and the sentences in the right order, too.
Today I’ve read the whole thing twice and recorded myself the second time. If I read it in one go, it’s about 6 minutes long, which is incredible if you think that I’ve so far invested probably two to three hours of preparation. Is this really the way to go? I’m not sure yet, but I have to go through it at least once to see any problems and start tweaking the process.
- listening: Mother Holda and The Goose Girl (about 20 min total)
Those were the last two stories from the youtube channel Adisebaba Masallar that I found useful. I’ll have to find another source for nearly-comprehensible input.

2023/03/18
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary
- I finished the exercise part of unit 9 in the coursebook and started with unit 9 in the workbook.
- I’ve found a very similar youtube channel called Türkiye Fairy Tales and have started to convert a selection of videos to mp3 recordings.
There were phases in my childhood and youth when I was really into fairy tales, but many stories had totally slipped my mind. Now I remember that two of my favourite ones where The Goose Girl (collected by the Grimm brothers) and The Wild Swans (actually a literary tale written by Andersen).
- I started watching Annemin Yarası.

Italian
- listening: Io non ho paura (about 1h)

2023/03/19
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary
- working on unit 9, workbook The Delights of Learning Turkish
4 x

vegantraveller
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (C2), French (C2), German (B2-C1), Japanese (B2), Spanish (B2-B1), Swedish (B1). Just started: Icelandic, Romanian, Occitan/Provençal.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16482

Postby vegantraveller » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:29 pm

Sonjaconjota wrote:Italian
I wanted to look up the use of numbers and measurements, which I also had difficulties with during my conversation class. But only one of my books had information on this.
So I started to look around on the internet.
From what I’ve gathered, it seems that you use the plural form for “mile, milione, miliardo” when applicable and you can also say “due zeri”, but you always use “cento” in the singular form.
In regard to measurements, you use plural forms for things like “metro, chilometro, grammo, chilo”.
Currencies have plural forms, too, like “un dollaro, due dollari”.
The “euro” is confusing, because, from what I have found, the official plural form is also “euro” like in “due euro”. It seems that orally, some people use “euri”.
Please correct or add something, if you have more information.

2023/02/11

Use euro, in the singular form. Euri sounds very popular and incorrect. And always spell “mille”!
2 x
I'm a man from Italy, not an owl from Japan :mrgreen:

Please correct my errors!

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:34 pm

2023/03/20
Turkish 30 min
- working on unit 9, workbook, The Delights of Learning Turkish.

2023/03/21
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary
- I finished unit 9, workbook.
I need a break from The Delights of Learning Turkish, so I’ll do some intensive reading.
- I started with Kayıp hazine, the second story in my A1 graded reader by Circon.

2023/03/22
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary
- intensive reading

2023/03/23
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary
- intensive reading
- I finished watching Annemin yarası.

French
- I finished the last 2 topics of Die neue Power-Grammatik Französisch!
I’m still highly confused about the verb tenses, but otherwise happy about this review of the basics. This grammar will definitely be a regular reference book for me.

2023/03/24
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary
- I worked through 2 little grammar topics in Pons Grammatik kurz und bündig Türkisch and reviewed 2 more.
- intensive reading

2023/03/25
Turkish 30 min
- 2 topics Turkish Grammar in Practice

French
- 2 chapters Simenon: L’écluse N°1

2023/03/26
Turkish 30 min
- listening: The Valiant Little Tailor (about 10 min)

Things are a bit weird right now. This week I’ve had a bad cold, which was my own fault, because I choose to go to a dance festival last weekend even though I was already a bit under the weather.
Work is still a lot (so I guess my next weekly updates will look similarly sparse), but at least I finished the annoying revision on Monday and concentrated on something more fun this week.
Apart from that, I am kind of saturated when it comes to content. I don’t feel like reading, I don’t feel like listening to podcasts or audiobooks, I’m not even really into music right now.
When it comes to watching, I can mostly only bring myself to watch youtube videos about rescued cats and dogs, or maybe some stupid romantic comedy.
9 x

Chmury
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Polski - currently inactive, but I will return to it
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:01 pm

Sonjaconjota wrote:End-of-month reflections February 2023

This year is weird.
Do you know how older people often comment that life passes faster and faster, the older you get?
That’s what’s happening to me right now, suddenly the hours pass scarily fast. And it confuses me, because it contradicts a theory in an article I once came across, saying that time passes slowly for children, because they experience so many new things every day, and quickly for old people, because all their days look the same without any outstanding events, which makes any period of time look very short in retrospective.
That was the theory of the article, and the author recommended trying to do something beautiful and memorable every day, even if it just was a small thing.
I’m confused, because right now, I’m just so busy, but precisely because I do many nice things I choose to do voluntarily: studying languages, dancing, seeing friends.
Then why does it feel like time flies and I don’t find the time to do everything I want to?
Maybe it is just that I have more of a social life now than some years ago, and also that I’m still readjusting after the pandemic.

I remember having that sensation/phenomenon explained to me once in high school. Can't remember exactly who told me, but they said that the reason why the days appear to pass more quickly the older you get, is because each day represents an ever smaller percentage of time in your life. Going off that explanation it could have been the maths teacher, who was also awarded mathematician of the year or something along those lines, so perhaps he knew what he was talking about.

Very impressed by the way that you're able to actively study 4 languages at once and make progress in all them. Sehr beeindruckend Sonja.
3 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:35 pm

2023/03/27
Turkish 30 min
- intensive reading: Kayıp Hazine

2023/03/28
Turkish 30 min

2023/03/29
Turkish 30 min

2023/03/30
Turkish 30 min
- 1 topic Turkish Grammar in Practice
- I also watched the first 2 episodes of Biz kimden kaçıyorduk anne?.

2023/03/31
Turkish 30 min

2023/04/01
Turkish 30 min

2023/04/02
Turkish 30 min

End of month reflections:
That’s what I was talking about at the start of the year:
In times with a lot of motivation, the challenge didn’t feel that useful to me.
But right now, I have a lot of work, and when I’m not working, I’m dancing. I’m so busy that I don’t even have time to be motivated.
In this situation, the challenge is fantastic and just keeps me going without thinking about it.

Reading the second story of my graded reader by Circon is quite gratifying, because I seem to notice a big difference compared to the first story.

Next week I’ll go back to The Delights of Learning Turkish, I think.
6 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:08 am

2023/04/03
Turkish 30 min
- started unit 10, The Delights of Learning Turkish

Today I rolled my eyes (pun intended) about something I came across in the book. In one text, the expression “Dört gözle bekliyorum” came up, literally “I’m waiting for it with four eyes”, and the author didn’t feel any need to comment that this means “I’m looking forward to it”.

2023/04/04
Turkish 30 min
- working on unit 10, The Delights of Learning Turkish
- intensive reading Kayıp hazine

2023/04/05
Turkish 30 min
- working on unit 10, The Delights of Learning Turkish: I finished the explanation part and started with the exercises.
- I also watched 1 episode of Biz kimden kaçıyorduk anne.

2023/04/06
Turkish 30 min
- working on unit 10, The Delights of Learning Turkish, exercise part
- listening: The Pied Piper (about 10 min)

2023/04/07
Turkish 30 min
- working on unit 10, The Delights of Learning Turkish, finished the exercise part
- vocabulary
- listening: Anne of Green Gables (about 10 min)

Dutch
- I did some exercises in a new book I recently bought for vocabulary training, Van Dale Oefenboek woordenschat Nederlands.
I do kind of like it, althought so far the exercises are mostly level A1 and A2 (the book is organized by vocabulary topics, not by levels, and includes exercises for different levels in each chapter). I do dislike that you have to go to the internet for the answer key. Recently I’ve really started to appreciate books that I can work with completely offline.

2023/04/08
Turkish 30 min
- started unit 10, workbook The Delights of Learning Turkish

2023/04/09
Turkish
Wildcard day:
Today I had miscalculated things and realized in the end that I had only done 25 min of active studying. So I’m counting content consumation towards the total time.
- working on unit 10, workbook The Delights of Learning Turkish
- listening: Gulliver’s Travels (about 15 min)
5 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:39 pm

2023/04/10
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary
- working on lesson 10, workbook The Delights of Learning Turkish
- I wrote one grammar flashcard for the past tense that refers to regular activities and habits.
- 1 episode Biz kimden kaçıyorduk anne?

2023/04/11
Turkish 30 min
- working on lesson 10, workbook The Delights of Learning Turkish
- I wrote another grammar flashcard for the past tense that refers to regular activities and habits (about positive and negative questions).
- I watched the last 3 episodes of Biz kimden kaçıyorduk anne?

French
- 2 chapters Simenon: L’Écluse no 1
- I started working through 1 grammar topic in my little-used Hueber Französisch Große Lerngrammatik, the simple past, because it’s used in the Maigret-books, but I had never before looked it up.

Italian
- listening: 1 hour Io non ho paura
- 2 tiny little grammar topics Hueber Italienisch, Übungsgrammatik A1-A2

2023/04/12
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary
- I finished unit 10, workbook, The Delights of Learning Turkish, and wrote a couple more grammar flashcards.
- listening: Hachiko (about 15 min)

French
- I finished the grammar topic in Hueber Französisch Große Lerngrammatik.
- 1 chapter Simenon: L’Écluse no 1

2023/04/13
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary
- started unit 11, coursebook, The Delights of Learning Turkish

Dutch
- started Unit 3 of Hugo - Taking Dutch further

French
- 1 chapter Simenon: L’Écluse no 1

Italian
- I listened to the last hour of Io non ho paura.

2023/04/14
Turkish 30 min
- working on unit 11, coursebook, The Delights of Learning Turkish
I’ve been writing lots of grammar flashcards, because they really help me to process information. As usual, the author introduces one topic (in this case, making adjectives out of verbs) and then just mercilessly throws a whole lot of information at the learners.

2023/04/15
Turkish 30 min
- finished the explanation part of unit 11, coursebook, The Delights of Learning Turkish
- listening: The Hunchback of Notre Dame (about 10 min)

2023/04/16
Turkish 30 min
- started the exercise part, unit 11, coursebook, The Delights of Learning Turkish
- listening: Snow White and Rose Red (about 10 min)

French

I’m not over the hump yet workwise, but the panic is fading, which permits me to be interested in content and language learning again.
Also, in case I ever forget again: Doing Turkish first thing in the morning does not only let me start the day with a feeling of accomplishment - it also makes it much more probable that I’ll do something for my other languages during the rest of the day.

This week I have also watched Criminal - UK. The English language will never cease to intrigue me.
I mean - I have been living in Spain for nearly twenty years and currently seldom come across any words in Castilian Spanish that I don’t know/understand.
The other day I read a novel in Spanish because I had to write a summary of it for work. I think there were three words in the whole book that I had never seen before and looked up out of interest.
With English, on the other hand ... I mean, English is the language I consume most content in. Books, music, films and series ... much, much more than in any other language, included my native German.
Yet I always, always come across A LOT of new words.
In one episode alone, I learnt the expressions “to bottle” and “to brick”.
English is just fascinatingly complex and rich when it comes to vocabulary.
7 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:51 pm

2023/04/17
Turkish 30 min
- working on unit 11, exercise part, coursebook The Delights of Learning Turkish
- listening: The Ant and the Grasshopper (about 10 min)

2023/04/18
Turkish 30 min
- I finished unit 11, exercise part, coursebook The Delights of Learning Turkish and started with unit 11 of the workbook
- listening: The Emperor's New Clothes (about 10 min)

Dutch
- I worked on the second part of unit 3, Hugo - Taking Dutch further

In relation to what I posted last time, here something nice in English I learned today: “to clutch one’s pearls”.
I could probably make that a thing, my daily new expression in English.
But to be fair, I also learned something new in Spanish recently: “un largarto / una lagarta” is not only an animal, but also refers to a profiteer, a sly, devious person.

2023/04/19
Turkish 30 min
- working on unit 11, workbook, The Delights of Learning Turkish
- listening: Little Women (about 10 min)

Dutch
- I finished unit 3 of Hugo - Taking Dutch further

2023/04/20
Turkish 30 min
- working on unit 11, workbook, The Delights of Learning Turkish
- I started watching İyi adamın 10 günü.
- listening: Mulan (about 10 min)

Italian
- 2 little topics Nuova grammatica pratica della lingua italiana

2023/04/21
Turkish 30 min
- I finished unit 11, workbook, The Delights of Learning Turkish
- intensive reading: working on Kayıp Hazine, the second story from my graded reader by Circon

Dutch
- listening: I started a new audiobook, Boy 7, a book for young readers.

French
- I’m very excited, because I’m starting to work with my new books of the “progressive” series.
- 2 little topics Grammaire progressive du français A2/B1
- reading: 2 chapters Maigret - L’ecluse no 1[7i]

Italian
- 2 little topics [i]Nuova grammatica pratica della lingua italiana

2023/04/22
Turkish 30 min
- intensive reading: working on Kayıp Hazine
- listening: Oliver Twist (about 15 min)

French
- I read the last 2 chapters of Maigret - L’ecluse no 1.

2023/04/23
Turkish 30 min
- intensive reading: I finished reading Kayıp Hazine.
- I also watched the rest of İyi adamın 10 günü.

French
- 2 little topics Vocabulaire progressif du français A2/B1

You might have noticed that my project to do conversation classes in Turkish has come to a halt right now. I’m still stressed because of work and just don’t feel capable to tackle it at this point. I’ll get back to it in the future. At the moment, I’m not doing any conversation classes in my intermediate languages either, I just don’t have the time.

Oh, I also have a question for English native speakers: I seem to have noticed that suddenly everybody refers to actresses as “actors”. Is this related to being politically correct (gender-neutral?) in some way or does it have other reasons?
2 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:07 pm

Sonjaconjota wrote:Oh, I also have a question for English native speakers: I seem to have noticed that suddenly everybody refers to actresses as “actors”. Is this related to being politically correct (gender-neutral?) in some way or does it have other reasons?
No, you've always been able to do that. An actor could be all actors, an actress only a lady.

EDIT
I looked up actor/actress in my computer's dictionary and got the following:
ORIGIN
late Middle English (originally denoting an agent or administrator): from Latin, ‘doer, actor’, from agere ‘do, act’.

USAGE
In the time of Shakespeare female roles were played by boys or men, and women did not appear on stage in England until after the Restoration of 1660. Female performers were then called either actors or actresses—it was only later that actor became restricted to men—and it seems that we are returning to the original situation. Although there is still an awards category at the Oscars called Best Actress, the gender-neutral term actor is now widely used for both sexes. See also usage at -ess.

following the "-ess" entry link gives:
-ess | ɛs |
suffix
forming nouns denoting female gender: abbess | adulteress | tigress.

ORIGIN
from French -esse, via late Latin from Greek -issa.

USAGE
The suffix -ess has been used since the Middle Ages to form nouns denoting female persons, using a neutral or a male form as the base (as hostess and actress from host and actor, for example). Despite the apparent equivalence between the male and female pairs of forms, they are rarely equivalent in terms of actual use and connotation in modern English (consider the differences in meaning and use between manager and manageress or poet and poetess). In the late 20th century, as the role of women in society changed, some of these feminine forms became problematic and were seen as old-fashioned, sexist, and patronizing (e.g. poetess, authoress, editress). The ‘male’ form is increasingly being used as the ‘neutral’ form, where the gender of the person concerned is simply unspecified.

I don't see any "meaning and use" difference between poet/poetess , manager/manageress other than indicating female-gender, but perhaps some people do. You could just as easily use lady-poet, female-poet. etc.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”