Little by little (TUR, DUT, ITA, FRE)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Sonjaconjota
Green Belt
Languages: German (N) - English, Spanish, Catalan (advanced) - French, Dutch, Italian (intermediate) - Turkish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 24#p192024

Re: Little by little

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:13 am

dEhiN wrote:[Bonjour Sonja. Je connais que je suis en retard et peut-être quelqu'un t'a déjà répondu, mais si non, je voudrais t'aider. Dans ce cas, on dirait disponible, pas libre. Libre est pour le sens du temps, gratuit est pour le sens d'argent et disponible est pour le sens de la disponibilité. Pour ton question spécifique, j'avais dirais « est-ce que les toilettes sont disponible ou attendez-vous eux ? » Plus simple, tu peux dire aussi « est-ce que vous attendez les toilettes ? »

Merci pour ton aide, dEhiN!
And a happy new year to everybody!
This is my last post before starting the 365-days- challenge for Turkish (right now). Yay!
I’m going to post my study days in the official thread at the end of each month, but I’ll also try to do a weekly update here on Sundays to break down what I did exactly, for Turkish and my other languages.
For the challenge, I’ll try to make the 30 minutes active studying, desk time, unless I’m really tired or ill. Let’s see how that goes!
When it comes to my Swedish/Dutch dilemma, I’ve found a solution. It was as easy as taking my two intermediate Dutch resources (Hugo - Taking Dutch further & PONS Power Sprachkurs Niederländisch für Fortgeschrittene) off the shelf and having a look at it. They both look great, and I really feel like starting them, so I’ll do that for a while and maybe switch to Swedish later in the year, or in 2024.
6 x

dEhiN
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N); French (B2); Spanish / Brazilian Portuguese (A1-A2); Tamil (A1); Albanian / Tagalog / Maori (A0 - some words)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 21&t=17669

Postby dEhiN » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:19 am

Sonjaconjota wrote:Merci pour ton aide, dEhiN!

De rien!

And a happy new year to everybody!

Yeni yılın kutlu olsun!

They both look great, and I really feel like starting them, so I’ll do that for a while and maybe switch to Swedish later in the year, or in 2024.

Quel est ton niveau en suédois? J'ai étudié le suédois il y a quelques années. Si tu commences cette langue dans le futur, peut-être je vais m'ajouter à tes études. / What's your level in Swedish? I studied Swedish a few years ago. If you start learning later, maybe I'll join you.
0 x
Anki
fr : 658 / 1473
es : 199 / 799
ta : 59 / 649
pt : 118 / 556
mi : 10 / 22
tl : 5 / 37
sq : 12 / 73

Study resources
¡Adelante! Uno : 11 / 218

ISO 639-1 Language Codes

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt
Languages: German (N) - English, Spanish, Catalan (advanced) - French, Dutch, Italian (intermediate) - Turkish (beginner)

Postby Sonjaconjota » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:53 pm

dEhiN wrote:Quel est ton niveau en suédois? J'ai étudié le suédois il y a quelques années. Si tu commences cette langue dans le futur, peut-être je vais m'ajouter à tes études. / What's your level in Swedish? I studied Swedish a few years ago. If you start learning later, maybe I'll join you.

So far I've only dabbled a bit. I would basically be starting from zero.
Je te préviendrai si je (re)commençe.
2 x

dEhiN
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N); French (B2); Spanish / Brazilian Portuguese (A1-A2); Tamil (A1); Albanian / Tagalog / Maori (A0 - some words)

Postby dEhiN » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:13 am

Sonjaconjota wrote:So far I've only dabbled a bit. I would basically be starting from zero.
Je te préviendrai si je (re)commençe.

Merci et c'est bon, il faut que je commence aussi au début. Une petite correction: on écrit « commence » sans le c cédille.
0 x
Anki

Study resources

ISO 639-1 Language Codes

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Re: Little by little (TUR, DUT, ITA, FRE)

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:45 pm

So, this is my first weekly update for the 2023 365 Day Challenge:

2023/01/01
Turkish:
- 1 hour of intensive reading. I finally finished the first short story, Son durak Istanbul, from the graded reader of the same name. This has taken me ages.
- I’ve also started to edit the second story of the book, Kayıp Hazine, for my own personal use. I’m scanning it and converting it into a .docx-document, so that I can print it out and read it on paper with space for annotations, because I’m old-school.
Italian:
I watched 7 donne e un mistero
Dutch:
I started the first lesson of Hugo TDF.

2023/01/02:
Turkish 30 min:
- 2 topics of Turkish Grammar in Practice, 5 minutes of vocabulary flashcards
- I watched one episode of The Summer I Turned Pretty dubbed to Turkish. (I got the idea from a language youtuber.)

2023/01/03:
Turkish 30 min:
I think during the next weeks/months, a lot of resource-hopping is going to happen, because I’m starting with new books, but there are also some old ones I want to finish.
- I worked through 1 topic of Turkish Grammar in Practice, 2 little topics of PONS Grammatik kurz & bündig Türkisch, the first pages of The Delights of Learning Turkish.
- I reviewed some vocabulary flashcards.
- I watched one episode of The Summer I Turned Pretty dubbed to Turkish.
French:
- I read 3 chapters of Fred Vargas: Un peu plus loin sur la droite

2023/01/04:
Turkish 30 min:
- I mainly spent my 30 minutes doing something I have been putting off for months: Creating a chart to to compare the forms of the “to be”-suffixes in present tense with the possessive suffixes. I always mix these up. Unfortunately, the chart didn’t clear things up, it still looks all the same to me. I really have to come up with some sort of trick or system to keep these apart in my head.
- I also reviewed some vocabulary flashcards and watched one episode of The Summer I Turned Pretty dubbed to Turkish.
Dutch
I finished working through Les Een, Leestekst 1 of Taking Dutch further.
Italian
I worked a bit on my chart that compares Spanish tenses with Italian ones.

2023/01/05:
Turkish 30 minutes:
- I reviewed four small grammar topics of PONS Grammatik kurz & bündig Türkisch.
- I went on working on the first chapter of The Delights of Learning Turkish. I can already see that this book is really dense and demanding. For me, because right now everything is just a review, that’s great, it’s a good book for false beginners. But I would not recommend it to start from zero.
- 1 topic in Turkish Grammar in Practice
- 1 and a half episodes of The Summer I Turned Pretty dubbed to Turkish.
French
- I read 4 chapters of Fred Vargas: Un peu plus loin sur la droite

2023/01/06:
Turkish 30 minutes:
- I reviewed four small grammar topics of PONS Grammatik kurz & bündig Türkisch.
- 1 topic of Turkish Grammar in Practic
- 3 pages of The Delights of Learning Turkish
French
- I listened to a couple of episodes of Crimes - Histoires vraies
Italian
- I started a new audiobook, Marco Lugli: Nel tuo sagne, listened to it for about 1 hour.

2023/01/07:
Turkish 30 minutes:
- I finished the first lesson of The Delights of Learning Turkish.
- Half an episode of The Summer I Turned Pretty dubbed to Turkish.
Italian
- I finished my notes on the verb tenses I mix up. My idea is to keep this list next to my for consultation once I start to read my next book in Italian.

2023/01/08:
Turkish 40 minutes:
- I worked through Unit 1 of the workbook of The Delights of Learning Turkish.
- I also watched the last episode of season 1 of The Summer I Turned Pretty dubbed to Turkish.
6 x

dEhiN
Yellow Belt

Postby dEhiN » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:34 pm

Omg, I'm jealous! You spent so much time each day on your languages! :D Keep it up, it's definitely inspiring me.
1 x
Anki

Study resources

ISO 639-1 Language Codes

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:52 pm

Weekly update for the 2023 365 Day Challenge:

2023/01/09
Turkish 45 min:
- 2 topics PONS Grammatik kurz & bündig Türkisch
- 1 topic Turkish Grammar in Practice

French:
- 3 chapters Un peu plus loin sur la droite
- 2 topics Die neue Power-Grammatik Französisch

2023/01/10
Turkish 30 min:
- 1 topic PONS Grammatik kurz & bündig Türkisch

French
- 1 hour conversation class
- 2 chapters Un peu plus loin sur la droite

2023/01/11
Turkish 30 min:

French
- Listening: 1 case (3 epsiodes) of Crimes - Histoires vraies

Italian
- Listening: 45 minutes audiobook Nel tuo sangue

2023/01/12
Turkish 30 min:
- 1 small topic PONS Grammatik kurz & bündig Türkisch
- I started Unit 2 of The Delights of Learning Turkish

Dutch
- I finished Lesson 1 of Hugo - Taking Dutch Further

French:

2023/01/13
Turkish 30 min:
- 5 small topics PONS Grammatik kurz & bündig Türkisch
(I had a horrible realization - that chart I made for the personal endings versus the possessive suffixes, on the side of the personal endings I only included ONE of the two groups of often used endings. There is a second one - in addition to some tenses having their own specific endings - and the group I didn’t include has even more forms concurring with the possessive suffixes. Man, it seems that every language has at least one - smaller or bigger - grammar topic that drives me absolutely nuts.)
- 2 topics The Delights of Learning Turkish

French
- 1 chapter Un peu plus loin sur la droite

Italian
- 45 min conversation class. I booked a new tutor, who was nice but not what I was looking for. I will try with someone else next month.

2023/01/14
Turkish 30 min:
- 2 small topics The Delights of Learning Turkish

French

2023/01/15
Turkish 30 min:
- I finished the topics of Unit 2 of The Delights of Learning Turkish and started with the exercises.

Dutch
- I started with PONS Power-Sprachkurs Niederländisch (A2-B1) and did the first 5 activities. This looks really, really good, so far I love it. I’m already considering buying the same course for Italian und French.

French
- I read the last 2 chapters of Un peu plus loin sur la droite.
7 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:50 pm

2023/01/16
Turkish 30 min
- I finished unit 2 of The Delights of Learning Turkish.
- I started unit 2 of the workbook.

French
- 3 grammar topics Französisch - Die neue Power-Grammatik
-listening:
several episodes Crimes - Histoires vraies
1 episode Chroniques criminelles

Italian

- I watched 2 episodes of Prisma, but wasn’t convinced.

2023/01/17
Turkish 30 min
- 10 min vocabulary work
- I finished unit 2 of the workbook of The Delights of Learning Turkish.

Dutch
- 2 activities PONS Power-Sprachkurs

Italian
- listening: 90 min Nel tuo sangue

2023/01/18
Turkish 40 min
- 10 minutes vocabulary work
- I started to review the same complicated topic (the aorist) with both PONS Grammatik kurz und bündig Türkisch and Turkish Grammar in Practice.

Italian

2023/01/19
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary work
- I finished reviewing the aorist and worked through 2 other mini-topics in PONS Grammatik kurz und bündig Türkisch.

Dutch
- I wanted to go on studying with my PONS B1 course, but I saw that the next topic were relative clauses, so I started to review those in my A1/A2 grammar.

2023/01/20
Turkish 45 min
- vocabulary work
- I started Unit 3 of The Delights of Learning Turkish. I stopped at the point where the days of the week were introduced. (This is one of the books that just throw a lot of information at you and then expect you to know these things from that point on.) I had already seen the days of the week before, but find them difficult to remember. So I watched 2 videos on youtube about them and did a bit of research to find out the origin of the names.
- I also watched the film Gönül.

Italian
- listening: 1 h Nel tuo sangue
- I’m going to do some “resource hopping” for Italian as well this year.
I started to work through Hueber Italienisch Übungsbuch Grammatik A1-A2 and finished 2 little topics. The other grammar by Hueber that I’ve recently finished had some exercises, but was more focused on giving clear information and lots of examples, this one is more about students discovering rules by themselves and about simple exercises, mostly filling out blanks.

Dutch
- I finished my review of the relative clauses in my beginners’ grammar and watched a video about it from Kim of Dutchies to be.
- Afterwards, I did 2 activities in the B1 book.

2023/01/21
Turkish 1 h
- vocabulary work
- I translated the song Senin Marşın by Duman that I’ve been playing on repeat lately.
- I worked through Unit 3 of The Delighs of Learning Turkish till the exercise part.
- I watched 1 youtube video about how to talk about what time it is.

French
- 4 topics Französisch - Die neue Power-Grammatik
- Listening: 1 episode Chroniques Criminelles, several episodes of Crimes - Histoires vraies (1 case)

Italian

2023/01/22
Turkish 45 min
- vocabulary work
- 1 topic PONS Grammatik kurz und bündig Türkisch
- I started with the exercises of Unit 3 of The Delighs of Learning Turkish.

Dutch
- I reviewed 1 activity in PONS Power-Sprachkurs Niederländisch.
- I watched a video from Kim of Dutchies to be about motivation in language learning.

Italian
- I listened to the last hour of Nel tuo sangue.

I have decided that I need a new approach for vocabulary memorization, because my old system doesn’t work anymore. I always study with paper flashcard. When I started with Turkish, I used a paper box for spaced repetition, but quickly had too many cards for that. But I still maintained a rhythm were I reviewed the “first phase” cards frequently and the cards of the other phases less frequently. I usually went through at least two stacks per day, because I carried them around in my purse and took them out in the underground.
But at some point, I lost the habit, and the number of cards has just totally gotten out of hand, too.
So I have decided that I will have just 20 flashcards for memorization, and I will do as many activities with them as necessary (copying by hand, reading out loud, finding mnemonics, drawing, whatever). Only when I feel that I finally have memorized a word, I will permit myself to move it into the “second phase” stack, which I will review from time to time, and put a new card in my active stack of 20 cards.
So far it has been going well for Turkish, and I might add 20 cards for Dutch at some point.
5 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:32 pm

2023/01/23
Turkish 30 min
- Today was the first time I really struggled, because I was both kind of tired / in a bad mood and stuck because of a topic that I had difficulties to wrap my head around: talking about the hours of the day.
Finally, I made a graphic for the expressions needed to talk about the hours, and found a mnemonic device. I hope I will remember which expressions go with which question by kind of “rapping” the combinations or reading them rhythmically:
kaç - geçiyor - var, kaçta - geçe - kala
- vocabulary work
- I wrote 1 sentence about what I usually do on each day of the week.

Dutch
- 45 min conversation class on italki

2023/01/24
Turkish 30 min
- Tired again, so I still didn’t manage to finish unit 3. But I worked through the 6 exercises. There’s still a vocabulary list (about people’s character traits) at the end that I’ll tackle tomorrow.
- vocabulary work with my 20 words

French
- 2 topics Französisch - Die neue Power-Grammatik
- I listened to several episodes of Crimes - Histoires Vraies.
- I watched the 3 episodes of Criminal - France.

Italian
- I started the series Di4ri, but so far watched only half an episode.

2023/01/25
Turkish 40 min
- vocabulary work with my 20 words
- I looked through the list of words (about character traits) at the end of unit 3 of The Delights of Learning Turkish for the first time.
- I started unit 3 in the workbook.

Dutch
- I finally did the last 2 activities of Power-Sprachkurs Niederländisch für Fortgeschrittene, unit 1. I also started to go through the vocabulary list for this unit.
- Listening 75 min: I started a new audiobook, Anya Niewierra: Het bloemenmeisje

Italian
- 2 little topics Italienisch Übungsbuch Grammatik A1-A2
- I finished watching the first episode of Di4ri. Not sure yet if I find it interesting enough.

2023/01/26
Turkish 45 min
- vocabulary work: I looked up an example sentence for the words I find difficult to memorize on Tatoeba and Reverso Context.
- 5 exercises workbook The Delights of Learning Turkish
- I spent some time with the list of character traits and watched a video by Turkishle with the title What are Turkish men like? on youtube, but not many of the words of the list came up. (“kıskanç” did quite a lot though ...)

Dutch
- listening 30 min Het bloemenmeisje

French
- 15 min conjugation on Linguno
- 2 topics Französisch - Die neue Power-Grammatik

Italian
- I started a new novel, Il caso Bramard by Davide Longo, and read the first 4 short chapters.

2023/01/27
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary work with my 20 cards
- the remaining 4 exercises of the workbook of The Delights of Learning Turkish
- vocabulary work with the list of character traits

Dutch
- I listened a bit to the spotify playlist by Kim from Dutchies to be.

French
- By chance I discovered the youtube channel Nota Bene about historical topics and watched a video about the history of the décolleté. I have to admit that I was quite impressed by the youtuber's eloquence. I felt a bit like Nicole Kidman making sheep’s eyes at Stephen Fry on the Graham Norton Show. (Watch the video of that moment if you have never seen it!)

2023/01/28
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary work
- I started unit 4 in The Delights of Learning Turkish.

Italian
- 3 short chapters Il caso Bramard

2023/01/29
Turkish 30 min
- vocabulary work
- working on unit 4

I’m proud of myself, because I was on a weekend retreat, and got up half an hour earlier on both days to work on my Turkish before starting activities with the group.
Actually, I think that I should do this at home as well - tackle Turkish first thing in the morning. I might try it next week.
1 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:54 pm

Sonjaconjota wrote:French
- By chance I discovered the youtube channel Nota Bene about historical topics and watched a video about the history of the décolleté.
You might like Fashion Quiche, she is/was a philosophy student and made some videos trying to marry that with her interest in fashion. :-)
3 x

Return to “Language logs”