Little by little (TUR, DUT, ITA, FRE)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Sonjaconjota
Green Belt
Languages: German (N) - English, Spanish, Catalan (advanced) - French, Dutch, Italian (intermediate) - Turkish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 24#p192024

Re: Little by little (TUR, DUT, ITA, FRE)

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:15 pm

Weekly update for the 2023 365 Day Challenge

2023/12/11
Turkish 30 min
- working on unit 10, PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1

French
- 1 hour conversation class
- watching: Portrait de la jeune fille en feu

2023/12/12
Turkish 30 min
- I finished unit 10, PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1. There’s still a last revision unit, and I also want to go through the grammar part at the back, but I’ll obviously be able to finish it this year. Yeah!

French
- reading Foenkinos: Le mystère Henri Pick, about 20 pages

2023/12/13
Turkish 30 min
- PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1: I worked on the review unit and the grammar overview.

Italian
My former italki tutor stopped teaching a while ago, so today I tried someone new. And it absolutely clicked. We had a great chat, and he’s even studying Turkish, just like me. I’m so, so happy!
A new word that I learned: While talking about the region that I’m from, I wanted to use the Italian word for “bishop”. It’s “vescovo” and I was very surprised, because at first glance it had nothing to do with the Spanish “obispo” or the Catalan “bisbe”. But then I found out that it’s “évêque” in French, and that all these words come from the Greek “επίσκοπος”, the same as “bishop” and the German “Bischof”. They all seem to have evolved a lot to get to their current form.

2023/12/14
Turkish 30 min
- working on the review unit and grammar overview of PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1
- I also started to transcribe one of the youtube videos with fairy tales that I had already used for listening practice in the past, Tatlı lapa (Sweet Porridge).

Italian
- I worked 20 minutes on my biggest problem in Italian: prepositions. I used Le preposizione italiane by Alessandro De Giuli and had a look at the list with the occasions in which to use “di”. Then I wrote a little story in which all these came up. I think that was a good idea, I’ll report later if has really helped me to memorize the rules.
- Today I passed the Italian bookshop in Barcelona (I think it’s the only one) and went inside.
I had only been there once before, because it’s one of those tiny little shops where you inevitable will get sucked into a conversation with the owners, and I used to be a bit shy about my Italian. But I was still on a high after yesterday’s conversation, so I went and bought a short crime novel: Carta Bianca, un’indagine del commissario de Luca by Carlo Lucarelli. The shop people were actually busy taking some photos, so I got away without saying too much, but I think I’ll definitely be more determined next time.

2023/12/15
Turkish 30 min
- PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1: working on the review unit and the grammar overview
- working on transcription, youtube video
Tatlı lapa
- I also watched a youtube videos with two guys walking around Kadıköy and trying food in different restaurants

French
- watching: 1 video by Nota bene about female hunters in hunter-gatherer societies
- 1 mini-topic Grammaire progressive du français

2023/12/16
Turkish 30 min
- I finished the review unit and worked on the grammar part of PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1
- listening: youtube video fairy tales: Gulliver’s Travels

2023/12/17
Turkish 30 min
- I finished going through the grammar part of PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1.
That’s it, I’m done with the book!
I really like the way it is structured visually, I like the texts and audios, the topics and the vocabulary. I was not keen at all about the way it treats grammar. Some things were confusing, and generally I need clearer explanations and many, many more exercises.
- working on transcription, youtube video Tatlı lapa

Dutch
- listening: I bought a new audiobook called Het rupsenhuis by Jeanine de Vries and listened to about 45 min.
1 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt
Languages: German (N) - English, Spanish, Catalan (advanced) - French, Dutch, Italian (intermediate) - Turkish (beginner)

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:15 pm

2023/12/11
Turkish 30 min
- working on unit 10, PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1

French
- watching: Portrait de la jeune fille en feu

2023/12/12
Turkish 30 min
- I finished unit 10, PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1. There’s still a last revision unit, and I also want to go through the grammar part at the back, but I’ll obviously be able to finish it this year. Yeah!

French
- reading Foenkinos: Le mystère Henri Pick, about 20 pages

2023/12/13
Turkish 30 min
- PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1: I worked on the review unit and the grammar overview.

Italian
My former italki tutor stopped teaching a while ago, so today I tried someone new. And it absolutely clicked. We had a great chat, and he’s even studying Turkish, just like me. I’m so, so happy!
A new word that I learned: While talking about the region that I’m from, I wanted to use the Italian word for “bishop”. It’s “vescovo” and I was very surprised, because at first glance it had nothing to do with the Spanish “obispo” or the Catalan “bisbe”. But then I found out that it’s “évêque” in French, and that all these words come from the Greek “επίσκοπος”, the same as “bishop” and the German “Bischof”. They all seem to have evolved a lot to get to their current form.

2023/12/14
Turkish 30 min
- working on the review unit and grammar overview of PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1
- I also started to transcribe one of the youtube videos with fairy tales that I had already used for listening practice in the past, Tatlı lapa (Sweet Porridge).

Italian
- I worked 20 minutes on my biggest problem in Italian: prepositions. I used Le preposizione italiane by Alessandro De Giuli and had a look at the list with the occasions in which to use “di”. Then I wrote a little story in which all these came up. I think that was a good idea, I’ll report later if has really helped me to memorize the rules.
- Today I passed the Italian bookshop in Barcelona (I think it’s the only one) and went inside.
I had only been there once before, because it’s one of those tiny little shops where you inevitable will get sucked into a conversation with the owners, and I used to be a bit shy about my Italian. But I was still on a high after yesterday’s conversation, so I went and bought a short crime novel: Carta Bianca, un’indagine del commissario de Luca by Carlo Lucarelli. The shop people were actually busy taking some photos, so I got away without saying too much, but I think I’ll definitely be more determined next time.

2023/12/15
Turkish 30 min
- PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1: working on the review unit and the grammar overview
- working on transcription, youtube video
Tatlı lapa
- I also watched a youtube videos with two guys walking around Kadıköy and trying food in different restaurants

French
- watching: 1 video by Nota bene about female hunters in hunter-gatherer societies
- 1 mini-topic Grammaire progressive du français

2023/12/16
Turkish 30 min
- I finished the review unit and worked on the grammar part of PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1
- listening: youtube video fairy tales: Gulliver’s Travels

2023/12/17
Turkish 30 min
- I finished going through the grammar part of PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1.
That’s it, I’m done with the book!
I really like the way it is structured visually, I like the texts and audios, the topics and the vocabulary. I was not keen at all about the way it treats grammar. Some things were confusing, and generally I need clearer explanations and many, many more exercises.
- working on transcription, youtube video Tatlı lapa

Dutch
- listening: I bought a new audiobook called Het rupsenhuis by Jeanine de Vries and listened to about 45 min.
4 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:34 am

2023/12/18
Turkish 30 min
- I started working through Kauderwelsch Türkisch Wort für Wort.
- I worked on the transcription of Tatlı lapa.
- I started reading Momo in Turkish.
- watching: 1 episode Yaratılan (a Turkish series based on Frankenstein)

I’ve been thinking about what I’m going to do with the last two weeks of the month, which is especially important because I’m travelling to Germany tomorrow, so I had to decide which Turkish materials I wanted to take with me to my parents’ place.
I’m going to take my little Kauderwelsch book for Turkish. I guess I can work through it quite quickly, as most of it is going to be a review, and then give it to someone else or leave it in a book exchange shelf.
Additionally I have a Turkish copy of Momo by Michael Ende which I want to read. If it turns out to be impossible, I’ll leave it for further along.
Today I’ve also had a look at my Assimil book for Turkish. I was pleasantly surprised when I found that I had already edited most of the audios in the past. They had the number of the unit at the beginning of each recording and I cut that out. I have also at some point in the past copied (for my own personal use) many of the texts to a word document that I can print out in large format.
So, when I come back to Germany, I definitely want to work with the Assimil book again and will be able to start right away.
I have also decided to go back to The delights of learning Turkish and review the content. So, I’m definitely going to be busy in 2024!

2023/12/19
Turkish 30 min
- reading: Momo
-working on Kauderwelsch Türkisch
- watching: 2 episodes Yaratılan
I’m not so sure about this series. The main actor is quite bad, and I like the story less and less. But there’s only 8 episodes, so sticking to it shouldn’t be too much of a sacrifice.

Dutch
- listening Het rupsenhuis (about 1 h)

French
- reading: 40 pages Le mystere Henri Pick

2023/12/20
Turkish 30 min
-working on Kauderwelsch Türkisch
- watching: 1 episode Yaratılan

Dutch

2023/12/21
Turkish 30 min
- working on Kauderwelsch Türkisch

2023/12/22
Turkish 30 min
- I finished going through Kauderwelsch Türkisch Wort für Wort.
I should have brought another coursebook with me to Germany. Well, I’ll concentrate on the reading Momo. So far, I’ve only done about 2 pages. It’s really difficult, but I know that in most books, the first pages are always a bit different from the rest stylistically, so I’m hoping it will get a bit easier.
This episode was more to my taste than the ones in which people were playing with dead bodies. I really like how this series treats fathers and father figures. It’s nice to see so many men presented as caring.

Dutch

2023/12/23
Turkish 30 min

Dutch

2023/12/24
Turkish 30 min
- I watched the last episode of Yaratılan.

To those of you fellow language lovers who celebrate it: Merry Christmas!
Last edited by Sonjaconjota on Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:14 pm

2023/12/25
Turkish 30 min

2023/12/26
Turkish 30 min

French
- reading: Le mystère Henri Pick (about 70 pages)

2023/12/27
Turkish 30 min

2023/12/28
Turkish 30 min
- watching: 1 episode Kulüp
There’s a second season of the series now, so I’m rewatching the first one to remember the story.

French
- reading: Le mystère Henri Pick (about 40 pages)

Italian
- watching: 2 episodes Tutto chiede salvezza
The premise of this show is kind of depressing, but it is well made with good acting, so I think I’m going to stick with it.

2023/12/29
Turkish 30 min
- I started to work through the Lonely Planet Turkish Phrasebook a friend gave to me some time ago. It’s mostly review, but there’s always some interesting new detail to be found.

2023/12/30
Turkish 30 min
- Lonely Planet Turkish Phrasebook

Dutch
- listening: Het rupsenhuis (about 1h30)

2023/12/31
Turkish 30 min
4 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:45 pm

What I've managed to do with my Turkish studies through the 2023 335 day-challenge:

I’ve finished several books that I had already started to work with before:
Turkish Grammar in Practice
graded reader Son Durak Istanbul
PONS Grammatik kurz & bündig Türkisch
Kauderwelsch Türkisch

I worked through these books from start to finish:
The delights of learning Turkish (coursebook and workbook)
LingoMastery Turkish Short Stories for Beginners
PONS Power-Sprachkurs Türkisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1

And I started to go through this one:
Lonely Planet Turkish Phrasebook

My one big goal for Turkish for 2023 was a bit vague, it was “to stop feeling like a total beginner”, but I think I've accomplished it.
9 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:05 pm

I'm so, so happy the forum is back!
Thanks to everyone responsible!
So, time to catch up.
I don't know if there's going to be an official 366 day challenge for this year, but after how great the challenge worked out for me last year, I definitely want to go on spending at least half an hour with my languages per day in 2024.
But I'm going to be less strict with myself. I will count all of my not-advanced languages (Dutch, French, Italian, Turkish) plus Greek, which I plan to start soon, and although I would like to do some serious desk study time on most days, I will give myself more freedom to count content towards the 30 minutes.
Here's my update for the first week of January:

Weekly update

2024/01/01
Dutch 30 min
- I finished unit 6 of Hugo Taking Dutch further.
- I started reviewing Hueber Niederländisch Power-Grammatik A1-A2.
- I did a couple of exercises in Van Dale Oefenboek Woordenschat Nederlands A1-B2.

French
- reading: Le mystère Henri Pick (about 60 pages)
- I reviewed the present tense conjugation, played 3 min with linguno.com and had a quick look at Practice makes Perfect - French Verb Tenses to re-familiarize myself again with this (very intimidating) resource.

Italian
- watching: 2 episodes Tutto chiede salvezza

2024/01/02
Dutch
- listening: Het rupsenhuis (about 30 min)

French
- 5 min linguno.com

Italian 30 min
- I studied prepositions with Nuova grammatica pratica della lingua italiana A1-B2 and Le preposizioni italiane A1-C1.
- watching: 1 episode Tutto chiede salvezza

Turkish
- listening: Turkish fairytale Jorinde ve Jorindel (about 10 min)

2024/01/03
French
- 5 min linguno.com
- reading: I finally finished Le mystère Henri Pick (about 40 pages). I wasn’t that into this book. Although it was thin and a quick and easy read, I did not feel like reading a bit every day, so I did it more in chunks.
- I watched a documentary about cats by Arte.

Turkish 30 min
- I took my first 30 minute conversation class of this year, which turned out to be more like 20 minutes due to technical problems.
And it was so, so, so awkward. I mean, I have learned enough languages in my life to know that it’s going to be difficult to start with. But I feel very lost. Well, I’ll just have to put on a brave face and go on, it’s the only solution.
- I also spent some time with the Lonely Planet Phrasebook.

2024/01/04
Dutch
- I listened to the last two hours of Het rupsenhuis.

French
- 5 min linguno.com

Turkish 30 min
- Lonely Planet Phrasebook

2024/01/05
Dutch
- 45 min conversation class
My Dutch teacher is going to move to Japan, which means it’s probably going to be difficult to go on with our lessons due to the time difference. Man, I really don’t deal well with change.

French
- 5 min linguno.com

Italian
- listening: I started a new audiobook, Fiori sopra l’inferno by Ilaria Tuti (about 30 min).

Turkish 30 min

2024/01/06

French 30 min
- Practice makes Perfect - French Verb Tenses, infinitive

Italian
- watching: the last 2 episodes of Tutto chiede salvezza

Turkish
- watching: 2 episodes Kulüp

2024/01/07
Dutch 30 min
- I worked a bit on PONS Niederländisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1, unit 5, and then started reviewing countries and nationalities, because that was something I was struggling with during my last conversation class.

French
- 5 min linguno.com
Last edited by Sonjaconjota on Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:51 pm

And the update for the second week:

2024/01/08
Dutch 30 min
- reviewing countries and nationalities

French
- 5 min linguno.com

Italian
- listening: Fiori sopra l’inferno (about 30 min)

Turkish

2024/01/09
French
- 5 min linguno.com

Italian

Turkish 30 min
- transcribing video Tatlı lapa

2024/01/10
French
- 5 min linguno.com

Italian

Turkish 30 min

2024/01/11
Turkish 30 min
- I finished going through the Lonely Planet Turkish Phrasebook
- listening: 1 fairy tale

2024/01/12
Dutch 30 min
- working on PONS Niederländisch für Fortgeschrittene A2-B1, unit 5

French
- 5 min linguno.com

Italian
- listening: newly discovered podcasts:
Demoni urbani: Stretta bagnera (about 30 min) - not a huge fan so far
Elisa True Crime: Ylenia Carrisi (about 30 min) - this one I liked better

Turkish

2024/01/13
French 30 min
- Practice makes Perfect - French Verb Tenses, infinitive

Italian

Turkish

2024/01/14
French
- 5 min linguno.com

Italian 30 min
- Nuova grammatica pratica della lingua italiana
3 x

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:12 pm

I’m in Instanbul right now, during my first trip to Turkey. The idea was to do some tourism, attend a swing dance festival and meanwhile speak as much Turkish as possible.
Hm, let’s say that it’s not going superwell. According to the activities planned, I had three accommodations booked. The second one was supposed to be a flat right next to the festival.
Turns out I had been scammed and this flat didn’t really exist. Fortunately I’ll get my money back from the booking website, but it was stressful and I had to find a new place quickly. It’s actually cheaper and quite nice, but farther away from the festival, which I’m not too happy about.
And now I have a cold. I skipped the first night’s party and my first dance class and will hopefully be able to go to the second party tonight, wish me luck!
Ooops, all of that doesn’t really have anything to do with languages, sorry.
So, how's it going with my Turkish? Not superwell either.
The first day and a half I was in a touristy area and I was absolutely tongue-tied, so I did everything in English.
Now I’m slowly starting to warm up and use a complete and correct Turkish sentence here and there, which makes me very happy.
But then again there are moments where I just blurt out single words. Normal, I guess.
I do think though that this trip is very good for my listening comprehension. My brain is really fascinated by being surrounded by Turkish the whole day, and it’s great that this language is mostly spoken very clearly and slowly.
But one thing is getting very obvious: I really, really need more vocabulary. I can identify some high frequency key words, types of words and certain vocabulary groups which unfortunately I learned all at the same time and now have a hard time distinguishing (like the months and the days of the week, hot and cold, some numbers, vegetables and fruit …).
This means, when I’m near people speaking on the phone or having a conversation, what arrives at my brain is something like this:

Hey, how are you, my brother? Good, good. [verb] [?]. Yesterday [something with possessive ending]. Yes,
yes, of course. [verb]. [?][?] [Was that a number?] [?]. [?] [?] nothing [?]. My friend, [?] [?] [verb] [question marker]? Okay. [That was definitely some day of the week!] [?] [?] university [?].

And so on and so forth, you get the idea.
I'm determined to do something about that. I hate Anki with all my might, so I will try to get back into the paper flashcards once I’m back home again, or maybe I could try Quizlet which looks a bit friendlier.
15 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:33 pm

Fascinating as always. Get well soon!
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt

Postby Sonjaconjota » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:00 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Fascinating as always. Get well soon!

Thanks, Mork! It's nice to know that someone appreciates my rambling. :D
Well, I basically spent an entire day in bed, then ignored the slight malaise and was able to enjoy the rest of the festival.
It was great, although I have to admit that I practiced more Italian than Turkish.
Italian and French people are always happy to speak in their language, even though they know English, and that’s just wonderful for language learners.
I’m at my last accommodation now, which is really nice and also in the nicest part of town I’ve seen so far.
Tomorrow I’m going to do my first ever food tour, I’m quite excited.
I’m also generally more happy with my Turkish. I talk to myself in my head, I seem to understand a bit more when I hear people in the street, I’ve had some short conversations with taxi drivers and on the dancefloor, and I’m also picking up some new words.
Turks love to use terms of affection when addressing people, like “my brother”, “my friend”, “auntie” etc.
There are a couple that I had never seen in my books but noticed since arriving here. I heard “kral=king” a couple of times (that’s also used in Spanish and Catalan), and on netflix I’ve heard “bal=honey” and “fıstık=pistaccio”. It seems that the last one is not very respectul, I tried to look it up and found translations like “bimbo, piece of ass, dolly bird”. But it’s also applied to men, there was a character on the netflix show Kulüp called Fıstık İsmet.

Weekly update

2024/01/15
Turkish 30 min
- 1 episode Kulüp

2024/01/16
Turkish 30 min
- travel day
- I’ve lost count of the episodes of Kulüp I’ve watched today. Three, I guess.

2024/01/17
Turkish 30 min

French
- 5 minutes linguno.com

2024/01/18
Turkish 30 min

2024/01/19
Turkish 30 min
- a bit of vocabulary with Quizlet

French
- 5 min linguno.com

2024/01/20
Dutch 30 min
- working on unit 7, Hugo Taking Dutch further

French
- 5 min linguno.com

Italian
- I also spoke a bit of Italian on the dancefloor.

Turkish
- Quizlet
- I watched the rest of Kulüp. Whoever made this show just did not know when to stop. These last two episodes just dragged on and on.

2024/01/21
French 30 min
- I started reading a new book by Simenon, Maigret à New York. I did half an hour of intensive reading, looking up most of the new words I came across, and later read to the end of chapter 2 without the dictionary.

Italian
- listening: Fiori sopra l’inferno (about 1h)

Turkish
- Because I’m in Turkey right now, netflix has more options in Turkish, but I’m still struggling with finding something I like.
I started three films and stopped watching them before settling on one called Do not disturb. It’s a quirky one about a simple middle aged man who has gotten into self-help and an instagrammy healthy lifestyle during the pandemic and starts a job as a night manager at a shady little hotel.
9 x

Return to “Language logs”