Cito's Randomly Dispersed Updates

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cito
Orange Belt
Languages: EN (N) //
FR LT ES
OE EL RU
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Re: Cito's General Log

Postby cito » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:21 pm

Log Entry #6!!!!!

I'm really happy to be making this log entry, I'm in the midst of a breakthrough in French and it is amazing!!!!!!

Sorry for all the exclamation points, but I'm just really excited.

Lately, I've been finding that as I watch videos, listen to podcasts, and read books/articles in French, I'm really starting to understand more and more. I was honestly just putting in blind faith that trying to memorize the 1000 most commonly used French words and immersing would work, and it is starting to pay off. I have just surpassed 1000 cards of 5000 in the Anki deck, and honestly, I don't know if I will finish it, but I do think I will keep going, as it is very useful for reviewing content, and of course, building my vocabulary. I think in a month or so I would like to try sentence mining, however, in order to start REALLY seeing words in context and learning how native speakers phrase things. In a way, I am doing this with Glossika, which I have started using (and am really enjoying), but with Anki it will be more personal, more tailored to what I would like to learn.

It is the most exhilarating feeling to be sitting down and watching a video in French, without subtitles in French, and being able to mostly get what is going on and what is being said, and knowing that, if I continue with what I have been doing (which, I don't imagine why I would stop), the veil will only be lifted more. I feel like I am really seeing a reward come from my language learning as we enter my 4th month. It's frankly amazing.

Don't get me wrong tho! I still have a HUGE way to go, but I know if I continue on this path of consistency and pleasure, I will reach a state of being able to converse and understand with French speakers... which brings me to my next point:

France this summer??

I've been looking into exchange programs and I am going to apply to one in Toulouse for 8 weeks this summer!! My parents and I talked about it and they encouraged me to do it so I can immerse and stay with a host family. After talking about it with them I had such a great flow of motivation and happiness, and I am really grateful they are encouraging me to have this experience. I think before it starts I will be in England for a school trip (also amazing, we are going for 2 weeks to watch Shakespeare plays and discuss) and then have ~8 days in between the end of the university trip and my exchange. I think I will spend the week between Lyon and Geneva, which is also super exciting.

I think immersing in the summer will be a great opportunity to experience much more colloquial French, and while, of course, I can always watch sitcoms or videos, it's not the same as being able to spend time in the country with the people who speak the language. And the fact I have around 8 months to save money (gotta get to work!) and really prepare my French is also exciting, as I can probably get to a decent level by the time I get there. I am so excited to share this journey with everyone once I go.

Ancient Greek was fun to try, but I dont know if it was really my thing, it was nice reading about it and learning about it. No loss there :)

On another note, been looking into Russian very secretively. Maybe even spent a little money on an Assimil book entitled Le Russe, so perhaps my Language Laddering journey begins in a week or two when it gets here. Until then I am working a little bit through "Teach Yourself Russian," an Anki deck or two, a wee bit of Duolingo, and a few words a day on LingQ. In a month or two I'll try Glossika with it, but that is something you need a base in before you just dive into.

I know, I know, Duolingo- but it is nice as a way to get a start and dip your toes into a language, and also... its fun ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Russian is going alright, but I think the Assimil format will help a lot. I've been getting back into my Assimil French book lately too, treating it very low stress... it's nice. Currently on level 57. I regret stopping, but also, if I didn't, I would have begun to resent it, which would have been horrible for my learning. I find that starting in a Language can be pretty tough, it's super exciting at first, but then once you start to get into the nitty gritty, it can be a bit off putting. That's why I'm taking Russian pretty slow, putting in time over the course of the day that adds up to maybe an hour. I've taken Prof. Arguelles' advice (welcome back to him!!!!) and have been doing French and Russian on and off each other in shorter doses, allowing me to get used to switching between. I think, though, if I am learning Russian through French, then I will be successful in not confusing them- but only time will tell.

Hope everyone has been well. Best of luck and go with peace!
6 x
50 French Books: 20 / 50
LLPSI-FA: 33 / 35
Greek ASSIMIL: 29 / 100
Russian ASSIMIL: 43 / 100
(On Pause)
Latin ASSIMIL: 29 / 101
Spanish ASSIMIL: 40 / 100

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:06 am

cito wrote:I really feel like a know-it-all, as I get all excited to answer, simply because I've been studying really hard, and sometimes I think it comes off the wrong way to the other students. I just really love languages and French in particular.

Enjoy it! There will be some who admire that it seems to come easy to you. The secret of course is just that you're into it.

I had the same thing with French. By second semester French, I could speak more fluidly than those who had 4 years in high school and 2 years in middle school and were taking it because they thought it would be an easy A. They probably did fine, but they weren't excited and couldn't speak well. (this was a case where I didn't have the background but I just knew someone who had French and liked it in high school and I was very interested in her and French got the attention because I thought it would help).
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

cito
Orange Belt
FR LT ES
OE EL RU

Postby cito » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:23 pm

Log Entry 7...

Months, Jack... ça fait des mois, Jacques!!!!

Hope everyone has been well. I'm currently en vacance for Uni and I'm studying a decent amount, as I am trying to test into Fourth Semester French for next semester. I talked to the head of my department (who is awesome) and he said the main things I would need to learn would be Subjunctive, Imperfect, Future, and Conditional- so not really that bad. I know how all the tenses work because of sentence mining, LingQ, and just input in general, so I just need to learn how to form then and then I'll be fine. I have to take a test and I am going to take it on the 15th. It's all multiple choice so I am not terribly worried- but what does worry me is what accompanies it: an essay. I have genuinely NO IDEA what the essay is on so we will have to see how that goes. I imagine I might practice some writing before hand lol.

To study I have been using LingQ (100 per day) and sentence mining. I have missed a few days on sentence mining, but each day I'm making 20 anki cards (takes me 30 GD minutes to review) so I'm making some decent bounds progressing. I haven't been consuming as much French TV or Movies other than for sentence mining, so maybe I'll try and finish a few movies or something before my test.

I am still sentence mining Zone Blanche- it's a fantastic show. I suggest any French learners to watch it: great story, interesting characters, very hard accents to understand- it's perfect. I am in the beginning of the second season and I am loving it. I have also watched a few episodes of H and I am getting back into Plan Cœur (which just got a new season!).

I read Art by Yasmina Reza, it was my first full French book I read, and it was awesome. Granted it was short, and it is a play- but I'm still proud :D.

Currently, I am reading L'étranger by Albert Camus. It was one of my favorite books in high school, so I am extremely happy to be reading it in French. It's really important to me to be reading it, honestly, as it was one of my main motivations to learn French. It's fantastic, and sometimes I get lost when the narrator is describing the way things look or feel, but I'm picking up on nearly everything that is going on. It's an amazing feeling, and I feel like I'm really starting to enter the "Harry Potter" stage of learning (thanks Dr. Arguelles for the name, and I also literally just ordered a copy of it!!!). I was looking up all the words I didn't know, but I find that pretty dull, so I'll just read it as it is and if I really want to know what something says I can look it up.

I also picked up a copy of La peste and Caligula suivi de Le malentendu by Camus also, which I plan to read after it. I am also trying to read more in English as well, so I am reading Dune right now (awesome!!) and hopefully before I go back to Uni on January 16, I will read The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison as well.

My New Years Resolution is just to read more for pleasure, as it is a habit I lost during the pandemic, because my anxiety was really bad. But I can read now and it's just something I have to do.

Other updates from my French journey:

I went to Québec with my Uni's French club!!!! It was amazing and so rewarding to be able to use my French, even if to just buy something or ask where the bathroom was. My greatest French moment was at 2:45 am in a McDonalds ordering fries and a strawberry shake for me and mes copins after some clubbing. I also picked up a couple of French books while I was there (a ton of Maupassant, who my Professor recommended to me), so I have been going through La horla on LingQ to prepare me for his writing style, and to be able to read it sans dictionnaire.

I hope everyone achieves their language learning goals for this year!

Bonne chance!!
9 x
(On Pause)

cito
Orange Belt
FR LT ES
OE EL RU

Postby cito » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:54 pm

Log 8 (la première entrée dont j'écris en français)

Ça ne fait pas de mois, Jacques... ça ne fait qu'une semaine (ou un peu plus, je ne sais pas).

La chose principale

Je viens de passer l’examen du Français pour être admettre dans le cours "French 4" de mon Université. J'en ai réussi! La dernière semestre, j'ai pris "French 1" et puisque j'avais commencer mes études en été, j'ai déjà su presque tout ce que j'ai dû savoir. La seul problème était avec les agreements entre les verbs qui utilisent avoir, et leur relation avec les objets directs en la passée composée. Je pouvais m'apprendre d'utiliser l'imparfait, le futur simple, et le subjonctif avec les connaissances en ligne et dans mon manuel scolaire et l'Assimil pendant la première semestre et ce vacance. Mais, la lutte n'est pas finie encore. Il faut que je écrive un essai quand je rentre a l’université.

Même si j'ai réussi l’examen, les pronoms relatifs (lequel, duquel, auxquels, etc.) me fait un peu confus et je dois pratiquer plus avec certains temps des verbs et leur formations. J'ai un peu peur pour ce cour mais je pense qu'il va être très efficace pour améliorer mon français.

Autres nouvelles

Hier soir mon frère m'a dit,
"J'ai enregistré le Duolingo dans mon portable, j'en dois configurer."
"Pour laquelle langue?"
"Bah l'italien, je voudrais prendre cinq minute par jour pour l'apprendre."
et l'autre jour, mon autre frère me disait,
"J'ai toujours voulu apprendre l'Italien..."
et quelque jour en été, ma sœur me disait
"Est-ce que tu veux apprendre l'Italien avec moi un jour? J'en voudrais...."

Du coup, je devine qu'on apprendra l'Italien, tous ma famille. Mon père veut apprendre le français, et il est très fier de moi pour mon progrès en français, mais je pense qu’il apprendrait l'Italien si tous de ses enfants le faisaient. Ma mère? Non, probablement pas (elle est Danoise-Américaine), mais ça va. Cette situation me fait vouloir d'apprendre l'Italien avec mes mes frères et sœur. Je pense qu'ils vont réussir avec le Pimsleur et les autres cours comme ça. Il juste faut que je doive leur faire utiliser l'Anki et Italiano secondo il metodo natura :twisted:... ("start with the weak then move onto the hard stuff")

Je travaille sur un petit guide pour l'aider avec mes connaissances de l'auto-apprentissage de langues. Je pense que je vais commencer avec l'Italien quand et si 1. mes frères et sœurs n'en prennent pas a la légère, et 2: je suis au niveau B2 en français. Ça peut venir en six mois, vous savez, du coup ça me donne plus motivation pour apprendre le français honnêtement, mais j'en vais pas me précipiter.

J’espère que vous allez bien.

(p.s. si vous parlez français, corrigez-moi s'il vous plait.)
Last edited by cito on Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6 x
(On Pause)

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)

Postby luke » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:04 pm

cito wrote:Log 8 (la première entrée dont je écris en français)

Je viens de passer l’examen du Français pour être admettre dans le cours "French 4" de mon Université. J'en ai réussi!

Bien fait! Bien fait!
2 x

cito
Orange Belt
FR LT ES
OE EL RU

Postby cito » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 pm

Log 9

Malheureusement, cette semaine n'était pas bien pour mes études de français. J'ai crée mes cartes d'Anki chaque jour, et bien sûr je devais parler, lire, et faire toutes les autres choses pour mon cours, mais c'est comme si je n'ai fait rien. Je sais que ça ce n'est pas vrai, mais ça c'est ce que je me sens.

d'autres nouvelles

Pour mon cours on avait besoin de regarder le film Chaos, qui était très bizarre mais aussi marrant. Autres films que j'ai regardé c'était Bac Nord et Shéhérazade dont j'ai regardé d'avant la rentrée scolaire. Aussi j'ai fini Zone Blanche il y a deux ou trois semaines.

Je commence à faire des cartes d'Anki pour l’émission Family Business. Bientôt je vais commencer à lire un autre livre en français, soit La peste d'Albert Camus ou peut-être L'Indifférent de Marcel Proust (avec un préface de Philip Kolb).

Car j'ai trois cours d'anglais, j'ai beaucoup tout le temps à lire, mais je vais trouver le temps à le faire (en français) pour plaisir. J'espère que je peux aussi trouver le temps pour regarder plus des choses en français, hors de mes études (commençant avec Neon Genesis Evangelion, que j'ai déjà vu en anglais il y a un an, et qui a un bon dub en français).

J’espère que vous allez bien, tout le monde. Bonnes et belles études!
6 x
(On Pause)

luke
Brown Belt

Postby luke » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:17 pm

cito wrote:J’espère que vous allez bien, tout le monde. Bonnes et belles études!

I enjoy following the travails of your log and thankfully remember enough French to do so. :)
1 x

cito
Orange Belt
FR LT ES
OE EL RU

Postby cito » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:48 am

luke wrote:I enjoy following the travails of your log and thankfully remember enough French to do so. :)

Merci!
1 x
(On Pause)

cito
Orange Belt
FR LT ES
OE EL RU

Postby cito » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:42 pm

Aujourd'hui...

j’arrête de cacher ce que je faisais pour ~15 jours avant ce post.

Si vous avez vu les choses dont j'ai parlé, vous sauriez que mes frères et ma sœur sont intéressés par l'italien (la langue d'origine de notre famille, et aussi la langue non-parlé de ma grand-mère, Nonna). Malheureusement, elle est morte en 2018, mais sa souvenir vive dans nos cœurs. Néanmoins, ils veulent savoir cette langue, et mois aussi. En fait, j'ai commencé d'apprendre l'italien!!!- et ça fait environ 15 jours. Je vais vous explique mon emploi de temps pour l'italien (même si ce n'est pas déjà chargée avec le français et toutes mes cours :lol:):

Je passe un peu plus de 1h30 par jour pour étudier l'italien, celles-ci sont mes ressources:

1. Pimsleur: Je fait une leçon par jour. (30 min)

2. Language Transfer: Aussi une leçon. (5-10 min)

3. L'Italiano Secondo Il Metodo Natura: Je passe 5 jours par chapitre, et je m’apprête à finir la 3eme chapitre. Chaque jour je regarde une vidéo de la lecture et je lis au même temps. (~10 mins)

4. First Italian Reader for Beginners par Francesca Favuzzi: Je l'ai commencé récemment, et je lis et écoute au même temps à chaque histoire 3 fois chaque jour, mais au 3eme jour, la dernière fois je fais la prochaine histoire (au 3eme jour de leçon 1, au lieu de faire l'histoire 3 fois, je le fais 2 fois, et à la fin je fais la 2eme histoire une fois; le prochaine jour, je fais le 2eme histoire 3 fois... etc par exemple). (~30 mins)

5. Pas encore, mais bientôt, je vais commencer avec la method Cortina, et probablement passer 15 minute par jour, et prendre 5 jour par leçon (il y a 20 dans le livre, et je voudrais finir ça avant de la fin du semestre.)

L’idée est que je peux finir tout ça par la fin du semestre, et quand l'été arrive, je vais étudier avec les Graded Readers pour les intermédiaires, et quand je rentre de Europe en août, je vais commencer avec Anki. Revendiquez qu'il n'y a aucune mention d'anki ici- et c'est parce que je suis encore focalisé sur le français, et je passe trop de temps là quand meme. Je pense que je vais arrêter avec l'anki pour le français quand nous sommes en été.

L'août est aussi important, parce que mon frère se marie! Et mon but (ne m'obligez pas à faire ça si j’arrête) est à parler à mon oncle (qui a habité en Italie quand il y a 20 ans) en italien pour lui donner une petite surprise au mariage!

De toute façon, j'ai les devoirs à faire. Je mettrai à jour les chose françaises que j'ai fait récemment, mais pas aujourd’hui.
J’espère que tout le monde est en bonne santé.
Bonne chance pour vos études!

Modification (quelque chose qui j'ai oublié):
Il y a une condition ici: si je me sens bloqué ou coincé avec le français, parce que je passe trop de temps avec l'italien, je l'arrêterai. Si je commence à mélanger les deux langues, je pourrais arrêter- puisque le français est ma priorité. C'est juste important à dire!!
Last edited by cito on Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
(On Pause)

cito
Orange Belt
FR LT ES
OE EL RU

Postby cito » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:06 am

cito wrote:
Je travaille sur un petit guide pour l'aider avec mes connaissances de l'auto-apprentissage de langues. Je pense que je vais commencer avec l'Italien quand et si 1. mes frères et sœurs n'en prennent pas a la légère, et 2: je suis au niveau B2 en français. Ça peut venir en six mois, vous savez, du coup ça me donne plus motivation pour apprendre le français honnêtement, mais j'en vais pas me précipiter.

j'ai oublié :lol:
0 x
(On Pause)

Return to “Language logs”