Cito's Randomly Dispersed Updates

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cito
Orange Belt
Languages: english (N) //
use: french
study: latin, modern greek
study sometimes: spanish, russian, old english
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Re: Cito's Randomly Dispersed Updates

Postby cito » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:43 pm

Hey everyone!

Quick General Update

It's been a while and I haven't posted in a bit... but thankfully not because I slowed down studying my languages!!! I figure I'll just put a general life/language update here, and that I'll use my other log just whenever I feel like intensively working on anything and logging it!

French
I completed my 15 book goal for 2022!!! Wooohooo!!! It was awesome. I think I'm aiming for the same goal, but I'd also like to hit 20, but I wont stress it. The highlight was definitely at the end with L'Événement by Annie Ernaux, the recent Nobel Prize winner. I was absolutely blown away it, and it is definitely the best book I've read in French. I reread L'Étranger to start of the year, and... well... I don't know. It was as good as I remember :lol:. I guess I understood it more, especially the second half (which I discovered is not at all as difficult as for some reason I thought it was), but I think the novelty has just warn off. When I read it around this time last year, it was like a major goal of mine, and felt super cool to be able to (mostly) read a French novel. Now that's kinda just something I do, I guess. Not that that is a bad thing, I just feel like I'm in a different mode with French.

For classes this semester, I'm doing an independent study with another student, and we are reading Madame Bovary and a (so far) undecided Congolese novel, as the other student is from the Congo. MB is funny so far, and definitely pretty difficult, but we're taking it somewhat slow and I'm still getting my footing in to Flaubert's writing style. I stopped reading Stendhal, since I wouldn't have enough time, even if the story was getting interesting and I was 100 or so pages in. I'm also taking a class on French humor, in which we will read BD, watch films, analyze some Molière, and learn about historical and contemporary French comedies. It's pretty fun so far! I'm loving Asterix.

Not sure if the trip will go through, but if it gets enough support, a couple students and I will be headed for Quebec City for a few weeks in May, which would be awesome! It isn't all good news for our French department, though, as the administration at my Uni are literally trying to dissolve the French department, even though it was that same administration which didn't require second language studies for Bachelors of Science (and at my Uni, Business is a Bachelors of Science...), so of course the French department is down in students.

Whatever, we make the best with what we got!

Russian

Slow and steady wins the race (maybe)! I'm really just taking my time with Russian, though I hope to be more consistent with it this semester, by making my Anki cards on Saturday and Sunday of each week and taking the week to get through 2 lessons. I'm currently on Lesson 31 (which is a somewhat abysmal pace), so I hope to get to around lesson 60 by the end of the semester, and then finish it by the end of the summer. I have 335 words "learned" on Speakly, which I mostly use for the listening exercises. I like it, and I think if you use it, its worth the 40-50 a year. Unfortunately I lost my streak... I only missed one day but that was it! I was almost at 50 too :(.

I was actually inspired to write on the forum today and post on my MIA board because I listened to the 1st Russian with Max podcast and actually got some information out of it! He studied IT at Uni, got a job and hated how much he was working, then went to China for a few years! He was talking about the breakfast he would have and was also talking about countries in general and Italy, as well. I was so surprised I understood, but also so happy!!! It is a very slow grind, Russian, but for how (relatively) little effort I have put in (not really immersing, just doing like 20-30 minutes a day on average) I'm getting some results! Cool!!!

Given that Russian hasn't deteriorated my French, I think I'll continue studying it, but also at a slow pace. If needed, I'll take a break in heartbeat to let my French have a breath.

Old English... oh yeah 8-)

That's right... we got enough students and Old English is officially a class running at my Uni. Despite it being the first week of classes (i.e we've only had 2 classes), Old English has to be my favorite so far. The other students who are in it are involved and excited and we are planning on starting a study group. The professor told me to not rush too far ahead as to not intimidate the other students, but thankfully we're all friends and they all know I really like languages. She meant no malice, just wanted to look out for the other students! Our first class was on Phonology, and the second more on grammar, particularly cases. We did phonology drills, and given the professor's laid back, understanding way of going about teaching it (knowing that it is tough, and that OE is usually taught as a graduate course) made it so fun! I've literally never had that much fun doing drills!

We are using Peter S. Baker's Introduction to Old English, along with his website "Old English Aerobics." Our goal will be to start translating Beowulf by the end of the semester, of which we bought a bilingual copy translated by Chickering. As some may know I was using Atherton's Teach Yourself Old English , which I got a few chapters into (but might restart and do on the side, sorry prof :lol:), and bought a prose/poetry reader (by Sweet), but my sister-in-law also gave me Alice in Wonderland and a beginner Prose Reader by Baskerbill. I was also fortunate to find a poetry collection edited by Treharne and Wu of Old and Middle English poetry at a used bookstore. I'll have plenty to work through and read this semester and during the summer. I think I'll try to translate/read the rest of Beowulf during the summer.

Well, that's my update. I hope everyone has been doing well.
12 x
50 French Books: 20 / 50
Greek ASSIMIL: 35 / 100
Russian ASSIMIL: 43 / 100
(On Pause)
Latin ASSIMIL: 29 / 101
Spanish ASSIMIL: 40 / 100

cito
Orange Belt

Postby cito » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:14 pm

Hmm some ranting for today...

I have been enjoying Russian lately, and I think it's because I've been seeing some returns with it/minor comprehension even though I've spent only 20-30 minutes per day studying it. My girlfriend asked me what I wanted for Valentines Day and I couldn't resist mentioning The New Penguin Russian Course :lol:.

I've been reflecting on what I want to do career wise, and I have been researching graduate schools and looking at job postings. I think I'm going to try librarianship and I've found a university that offers a Comparative Literature and a Master of Library Sciences dual-masters program, and I know a few post-grad Alumni from the school as well. I might have a good shot :D.

Looking at jobs on the US Gov. job listings website has me hooked. They have positions that require abilities with foreign languages, and I've noticed there are lot of postings for Hebrew, Arabic, and Russian (and other Slavic) language-speakers, so looks like my early interest with Arabic might pay off if I start to study it. I figure I should try and focus on Russian right now before diving into a Category 5 language, but another part of me is saying I should start as early as possible :?.... I'll try and figure it out.

(Not to fail to mention that now I'm looking at Amazon for ASSIMIL Arabic and Speaking Arabic... but I should let my wallet rest.)

(Maybe I should try Hebrew first to get my foot in the door of *Semitic* languages? But what about spelling inconsistencies... ughhhh. Yet at the same time, no dialects :evil: so hard to choose.)

In other news, got to lesson 36 in Le Russe, and started reading Fathers and Children by Turnegev, trans. by Pasternak/Slater. I'm loving this book so much! Making my excited to listen to my Russian today.

Have a good day, y'all.

[edit: said Slavic when I meant Semitic)
7 x
(On Pause)

stell
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (perpetual toddler), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17696

Postby stell » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:59 pm

I just read your log from start to finish, and I absolutely love your enthusiasm! I wish I’d discovered my love for languages when I was your age. I look forward to following along with your adventures!
2 x

cito
Orange Belt

Postby cito » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:05 am

stell wrote:I just read your log from start to finish, and I absolutely love your enthusiasm! I wish I’d discovered my love for languages when I was your age. I look forward to following along with your adventures!

Thank you so much, Stell! But as they say, the best time to start was yesterday, the second best right now (or something of the like :D).

Also encouraging because part of me regrets how much time I spent playing video games and watching youtube in high school when I had very few responsibilities and could have taken advantage of my classes, but hey, too late for regret now!
4 x
(On Pause)

cito
Orange Belt

Postby cito » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:48 am

Quick Update:

I've been studying a lot of Russian lately. It's become more interesting as content slowly becomes (relatively) more comprehensible.
I'm on lesson 40 of ASSIMIL (making my lesson 39 cards right now), lesson 6 of the NPRC, and I'm about 2/3rds the way through Beginner II on Speakly.

Still reading Madame Bovary (a little bit behind my class so I'm playing catch-up tonight) and haven't had time to read any more of L'Amant.

Have a translation due for Old English on Tuesday, and I've got to start studying OE daily, since I have been slacking since class started.

All love to everyone!
8 x
(On Pause)

cito
Orange Belt

Postby cito » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:51 pm

Another Quick Update:

Dealing with some mental health stuff and a large amount of schoolwork. Haven't had much energy to do language learning, but I've kept up with my Anki for the most part (not adding/taking new cards, however). Decided to hit the gym today with my roommate to try and get out of this slump, but it's pretty bad right now. I'm not in any danger, thankfully, and this just may be a side-effect of a concussion I got a few weeks ago.

Hoping to feel better soon and have more energy.
8 x
(On Pause)

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:58 pm

Get better soon!
5 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

cito
Orange Belt

Postby cito » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:12 pm

My life has felt a bit amiss lately, so I decided to go to church this Sunday. I went to a Greek Orthodox church (for the first time) and had quite a multi-lingual experience. The service was in both English and Greek, and I recognized a few words from my studies over the summer. After the Our Father in English, it was said in Greek, then the priest said the name of another language (which I did not catch) and a parishioner said it in the language (sounded Slavic), and when he finished, the priest said "Russian," and another parishioner hurriedly said it in Russian. I think this is because the Greek Orthodox is the only Orthodox church in our community. I think I will go back there, since I felt somewhat calm during the service. I felt a bit alone, however, as I was one of the only young people there. The only other person my age was also not orthodox (I was raised protestant), but he seemed quite right-leaning, in a way which made me feel a bit uncomfortable. (I understand the forum is not about politics, and I do have plenty of right-leaning and Republican friends/family, but the way he was talking about certain political topics made me feel weary. Nonetheless, I shouldn't judge this early in meeting him.)

Today I listened to a French and a Russian podcast, and yesterday I wrote out a few notes from the NPRC and did a few exercises. I will be starting Lesson 6 when I have so more time and once I have gone over the last few ASSIMIL lessons as review, since I feel a bit shaky on them. Tomorrow I am going to do a verb worksheet for Old English and translate the first 15 lines of the Voyage of Ohthere, which I might describe in my log.

Good luck with your studies everyone.
9 x
(On Pause)

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:48 am

cito wrote:(I understand the forum is not about politics, and I do have plenty of right-leaning and Republican friends/family, but the way he was talking about certain political topics made me feel weary. Nonetheless, I shouldn't judge this early in meeting him.)

FYI forum rules allow you to stretch the rules a bit when it's you writing in your own log.

I've never been in a Greek Orthodox church, and I really should visit one some time. When I lived in India I went to a bilingual Hindi/English church (standard independent protestant church), and it was good both for the cultural enrichment and of course excellent language practice.
3 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

cito
Orange Belt

Postby cito » Sun May 28, 2023 6:13 pm

It's been 3 months or so!

Wow! Just making this post to briefly explain what I have been up to for the last 3 months. I am currently on a study trip to Quebec City, QC, CA. Speaking lots of French and doing better at socializing than when I was in France :lol:. I think it is easier for me to relate to Quebeckers because of their cultural similarities with other people of North America. My roommate is from Mexico, and I have been practicing some Spanish with him and his friends.

I've recently started doing Pimsleur for Russian, but unfortunately, I got 2 concussions in a row earlier this year (around when I stopped posting), and basically halted all of my non-school-related language studies. So I'm fresh back into Russian.

I haven't really been keeping up with Anki either, but I've been sentence mining a bit (in Russian, since they have Demon Slayer with a Russian Dub in Canada) and need to get back into the habit of making vocabulary cards, as I intend on reading some Hugo this summer in French and would like to understand more than what I have read by him in Notre Dame de Paris so far. I've taken a break from it and I am currently reading Kafka sur le rivage by Murakami (to no one's surprise). I picked up a few other books in Quebec but I'd like to read in both English and French this summer. I've read some of The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon, but I haven't had time on the trip, due to the intensity.

My goal is to read around 8 or 9 books this summer, half in French, half in English, and improve my Russian. If I feel inclined, I'll do some Old English as well (I still have to read Alice in Wonderland!).

Hope everyone is happy and well.
6 x
(On Pause)

Return to “Language logs”