Emeg̃ir (Sumerian) mini-FLC

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: Emeg̃ir (Sumerian) mini-FLC

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:55 am

guyome wrote:Interesting, thanks :) Tolkien actually mentions Erech/Uruk in one of his letters (Letter 297), I quote parts of it below.

I'm not buying the Black Speech/Hurrian connection. First, it reminds me too much of the Altaic language family/Sprachbund controversy, where you compare vaguely similar roots having some vague degree of semantic closeness and claim they are proof of an "Altaic" substrate. And if none is to be found, you can 1) enhance the formal similarity by positing any sound change you wish or 2) enhance the semantic side of things by letting your imagination roam free (the entries for burz/wur- or krimp/ker-imbu seem especially guilty of that to me).

Taking the following (and that's already supposing the data used here for Hurrian is accurate),

[...]

Second (and much more interesting), knowing a bit about how much pleasure Tolkien derived from creating his languages and how much thought he put in them, I find it ludicrous to think that Tolkien would have surrendered his creative genius in this matter and have the words of one of his languages simply be a copy of an existing language (in both form and meaning, no less).
Fortunately, you don't have to take my word for it because Tolkien himself wrote a long letter about this very topic (and it conveniently covers the origin of Black Speech nazg "ring"). To summarise it: he might sometimes, knowingly or not, have found the inspiration for the sounds of his creations in words already existing in other languages, but there is no link to be found as far as the meaning is concerned.

[...]
Very cool! Those spurious French connections are exactly what I meant when I said a lot of the Hurrian connections were a stretch. If you want there to be a connection you can probably find words that sound vaguely similar and have a tangentially related range of meanings, you can probably make it seem like any two languages are related!

It's interesting that he unintentionally used the name of the Sumerian city of Unug not once but twice! Once in Akkadian (Uruk), and once in Hebrew (Erech).

"Ash" as the number one could have been another subconscious borrowing. The sign for aš is one of the simplest Cuneiform signs (just a single horizontal stroke), so it's conceivable that it could have been mentioned in a book about the history of Mesopotamian writing. Or it could just be a coincidence. There are only so many syllables you can make. The most famous example is that the Mbabaram word for dog is "dog"; they thought it was a loanword at first but as it turns out it follows from regular sound changes when compared to related Pama-Nyungan languages.

Another example of a same-sounding word (although not with the same meaning) is that there is a Sumerian word "pisag̃" (meaning fish, or a kind of fish, I can't tell from the dictionary entry). It seemed really familiar to me, and it sounded like Indonesian, so I looked up and as it turns out, it is pronounced almost the same as the Indonesian word for banana (completely unrelated of course).
4 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Dagane
Orange Belt
Languages: I regularly use:
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1+)
Hungarian (A2?)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Postby Dagane » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:44 am

Now, this is an interesting log. Good luck! I'm hugely interested in Sumer since I was in my teens and attempted to learn Sumerian many years ago (16 years ago!). At that time there was a comprehensive online dictionary English -Sumerian. The first one ever if I remember correctly. I did not speak any English and never went beyond recognising a few basic symbols :oops: :lol: .
3 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:12 pm

Dagane wrote:Now, this is an interesting log. Good luck! I'm hugely interested in Sumer since I was in my teens and attempted to learn Sumerian many years ago (16 years ago!). At that time there was a comprehensive online dictionary English -Sumerian. The first one ever if I remember correctly. I did not speak any English and never went beyond recognising a few basic symbols :oops: :lol: .

Thanks! Maybe that was the PSD, the web version was released in Beta in 2004 (17 years ago) and the full release was in 2006. It also could have been the Sumerian Lexicon at Sumerian.org; the website as a whole says ©1996-2021 but I don't know when the Lexicon was released specifically.
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:37 pm

There's an old joke attributed to Mark Twain: "It's easy to quit smoking. I've done it a thousand times!"

Similarly, my experience with the Japanese kana syllabaries is that it's very easy to learn them. I've done it at least half a dozen times! Unfortunately I seem to forget half of the symbols every time I spend a few months away from them, and the next time I get interested in Japanese I have to learn most of them all over again. I thought of this and it made me concerned that although I'm sure I can learn all of the Sumerian signs in a month or two, I might forget them all if I spend too much time away from Sumerian, so it could all be in vain!

But then I remembered that I could think of a lot of particularly pictographic Kanji (such as "rice field", "middle", "sun", "moon", "eye", "mountain", "tree", "person") that I learned 15 years ago in Japanese class in college, and I only had to learn them once. I never forgot them! A lot of the Sumerian signs are transparently pictographic and easy to remember when you've seen the more archaic line drawing versions, so I am hopeful that I'll be able to remember a lot of the signs.

The situation with the kana is probably a bit more similar to the Akkadian syllabary in a Neo-Assyrian style, since they are much more abstract and it isn't clear what the original pictograph may have looked like, and even if you did it wouldn't make sense if you didn't know Sumerian. For example, the "an" symbol used to look like a star and "an" is Sumerian for sky, but the Neo-Assyrian version looks nothing like the original Sumerian pictograph (to see the progression, take a look at the end of this post on the first page of this log). In fact, I doodled the "an" sign onto my daughter's placemat with a crayon at a restaurant the other day, and she pointed at it and said it was a star! The pictograph is so clear that a two-year-old can tell what it's supposed to be 5,000 years later!

I have slowed down a bit in adding new signs to my Anki decks, but I do have 29 signs that I'm trying to get through, which will put me at 19% of the 155 primitives and 3% of the 777 total signs. I slowed down because after all this talk about Tolkien, I had to rewatch the Lord of the Rings Extended editions! I don't think I've seen them in at least 15 years. I also got a bit addicted to an old tower defense game I used to play, but I finished the main campaign and I've been avoiding it because it sucks up my attention, so maybe I can start making more progress in my Anki deck again soon.
5 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:59 pm

Well, I think I've managed to scratch my Sumerian itch, so I'm able to return to Arabic. I didn't spend too much time away from it so I don't think it rusted much. I'll continue to finish the Great Courses series about ancient mesopotamia and I'll probably read through Irving Finkel's book on cuneiform.

I think I have a good plan for studying Sumerian when I'm ready to spend some real time on it! Most of the resources are free, so I'd say it's a very good candidate for a FLC. If you are able to use French and especially German, that jumps up to excellent, because then there are a ton of public domain or abandoned seminal works that you can access for free!
6 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

elec
Languages: french english spnaish

Postby elec » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:27 pm

Hello everyone, I really need help translating this Image
https://ibb.co/7CbFvX6

EDIT: Link checked by admin. Looks to be a legit image of some Sumerian Text.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:27 pm

elec wrote:Hello everyone, I really need help translating this Image

In future just use the upload feature to put the picture in, or use another site to upload the image.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:36 pm

rdearman wrote:
elec wrote:Hello everyone, I really need help translating this Image

In future just use the upload feature to put the picture in, or use another site to upload the image.

Thanks for checking the link, I don't trust link shorteners.

@elec That's cuneiform but I only studied Sumerian for a few weeks so there's not much I can do with it. It seems to be written with a Neo-Assyrian font style and I don't see any complex signs so that would suggest it's not Sumerian. And actually I'm not even sure if it's one language; the first sign is Sumero-Akkadian cuneiform but the next two signs seem to be Old Persian cuneiform which is a completely different writing system even though they look very similar. It does seem like the image is a bit corrupted, with a lot of lines actually having a second line of text covering it.

You might have better luck at https://reddit.com/r/assyriology.
0 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Return to “Language logs”