Judo, Music and Olympics

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Flarioca
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (native)
English (C2*), German (B2+*), French (r:C2/p:C1-), Spanish (r:C2/p:B2+), Esperanto (r:C2/p:B2-), Italian (r:C2/p:B1), Catalan (r:C1/p:B1-), Mandarin (A1), Russian (A1).
Beginner: Japanese, Georgian
*: official test supported claim
r: receptive, p: productive
+/-: bias towards higher/lower level
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1705

Judo, Music and Olympics

Postby Flarioca » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:16 am

I became very happy when I realized some guys decided to create this forum. Thank you all very much!

Of course, yes, lots of people contribute to the success of a place like this, but it certainly makes a difference when you believe that something which takes some of our precious time to think and write about won't just disappear because of the lack of interest from someone else. Besides, it's also a relief to be confident that annoying trolls will be gently taken care by a mature and experienced group of moderators.

That said, I'm back to language learning. Indeed, I've never stopped, but during 2015 I was deeply involved on some other projects. Anyway, I've learned hiragana and katakana (not yet to perfection), continue to (slowly) improve my knowledge of German and that's all I did this year about language learning.

Now my projects are very ambitious, but let's see how much of it I'll be able to handle. Two years ago, I went back to judo. At that time, I was learning Mandarin but it was soon very clear that it would be much more important if I could learn Japanese, in order to profit from lots of judo stuff that exist only in Japanese.

As already said, so far hiragana and katakana (and some japanese phonetics) are almost all that I've learned. At this time, my first, more important and long term project is to learn Japanese. I'll start using Genki as a textbook, "The Key to Kanji" to aid kanji learning, plus Anki and Memrise.

By pure chance, during the last month I was introduced to the Georgian music and I'm completely fascinated about it. I'm proud about the very rich and wonderful brazilian music, I'm a jazz, blues and caribbean rhythms fan, I've been listening to baroque and other old european genres since my teens, I enjoy folk music from Russia and various african regions but I've seldom been as much impressed as by the music from Georgia that so far I've been able to listen to (without understanding a single word, of course!!).

The Georgian language sounds great as well, they have one of the most beautiful writing systems of the world, their food seems delicious, their landscape is amazing and they have a great judo team. That's enough to want to learn this language. I'll start with "Beginner's Georgian" by Dodona Kiziria, plus Anki and Memrise :D

This would already be enough and even unfeasible. However, in 2016 Rio de Janeiro will host Olympics, I've already bought tickets for three days (judo, of course) and it would be nice to talk to people. The main language I'll try to improve is German, but all other languages that I've already learned, at least to A1 level, will receive some attention. I'll call this my Olympics Project. My goal is to study 500 hours till the first day of the games.

To improve my stronger languages, I'll have a "passive" and an "active" phase. During the "passive" phase, I'll mostly listen to interesting stuff. During the "active" phase I'll write on Lang-8 and try to speak somewhere, maybe through SharedLingo, not yet sure.

To study Russian and Mandarin I'll start listening to Michel Thomas, way faster than the first time, then continue with "Basic Spoken Chinese" for Mandarin and, possibly, Princeton course for Russian.

I want to be able to speak to people, as much as what I've learned so far for each language would possibly allow me to do. It goes from almost everything in Spanish and French to almost nothing in Russian and Mandarin.

My idea is to set aside a weekday for each language, Mondays for German, Tuesdays for Spanish and Esperanto, Wednesdays for Italian, Thursdays for French, Fridays for Catalan, Saturdays for Mandarin, and Sundays for Russian. Missing days for German and Italian may be compensated on next day. German will be studied at other moments as well.

How much of this I'll really be able to accomplish? I don't mind, for progress in any of these directions will certainly make my life better in many ways.

Any corrections, comments, suggestions, criticisms, support and nice words will be welcome!! :-)
2 x
Corrections and comments are welcome!
Japanese - Genki I : 8 / 61
Key to Kanji : 28 / 1100
Beginner's Georgian : 1 / 66
Olympics Project : 12 / 500

Flarioca
White Belt
English (C2*), German (B2+*), French (r:C2/p:C1-), Spanish (r:C2/p:B2+), Esperanto (r:C2/p:B2-), Italian (r:C2/p:B1), Catalan (r:C1/p:B1-), Mandarin (A1), Russian (A1).

Re: Judo, Music and Olympics

Postby Flarioca » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:49 am

Useful links:

Japanese

Reviewing the Kanji
Forum
Demonstratives etc.

Interesting Resources:

Japanese

"Learn Japanese From Etymology: Approach From Sound Symbolism", by Watanabe Masamichi.
Last edited by Flarioca on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:47 am

i'll definitely be reading your log, as I have some interest in Japanese as well, stemming from the martial arts (though not Judo). I also have to say I really like your ranking system in your profile. Very detailed.
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:26 am

What an ambitious plan! You can count on me when you need advice. Btw, which weekday did you reserve for Georgian? :D
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Flarioca
White Belt

Postby Flarioca » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:48 pm

Expugnator wrote:What an ambitious plan! You can count on me when you need advice. Btw, which weekday did you reserve for Georgian? :D

Japanese and Georgian will hopefully be studied every weekday :D

Now seriously, this is the very hard part.

My "Olympics Project" is supposed to be fun, listening most of the time, trying to use the "talk to yourself" mode. Besides, I just want to say "hello, my name is ...", "do you enjoy other sports?" and simple things in Russian and Mandarin!! Of course, German is still challenging.

I have almost everyday a good one hour in the morning, which will be dedicated to Japanese. After my son sleeps, there may be one hour and a half before tiredness makes it impossible to learn anything and this is when I'll study Georgian and OP languages.
2 x

Flarioca
White Belt

Postby Flarioca » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:09 pm

I've already started the OP, Genki and "Beginner's Georgian". However, the most interesting event has been to meet the book "Learn Japanese From Etymology: Approach From Sound Symbolism", by Watanabe Masamichi. His main thesis is that the 8 original consonants in Japanese are related to the onomatopoeia of motion or movement.

This is not all original and he doesn't claim that, indeed he mentions previous theories on the same line of thought. Besides that, it's not at all clear how much of his theory is right. Anyway, at this point, it's not important to know how much of this may be right or wrong. For me, the most important thing is that this may be extremely helpful to increase the rate of new vocabulary aquisition and, even better, this may turn it much easier to improve our intuition about new Japanese words.

Of course, it would be nice to know more about his ideas and credentials, as well as criticism of his and related theories. Haven't find anything through googbinging.

Ejective consonants are evil!! :evil:
2 x

Flarioca
White Belt

Postby Flarioca » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:47 am

Well, I've complained about ejective consonantes, because I still cannot make this sound effortlessly, in spite of having studied it some years ago while reading the very interesting book (which I'm rereading) "A Practical Introduction to Phonetics" by J. C. Catford.

Anyway, to tell you the truth, this certainly adds to my interest on Georgian ;)

A very interesting, though still controversial paper claims that there is a relevant correlation between altitude and ejectives: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0065275: "Evidence for Direct Geographic Influences on Linguistic Sounds: The Case of Ejectives", Caleb Everett. Among other things he says: "... Languages with phonemic ejective consonants were found to occur closer to inhabitable regions of high elevation, when contrasted to languages without this class of sounds. ...".

To close this message, an interesting video about the airstream mechanisms used in speech production: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuxbGeGHFPs
1 x

Flarioca
White Belt

Postby Flarioca » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:17 pm

So, the most difficult Georgian sound is about to be one of the sounds that I've so far listened to more often. Namely, the hardest ejective consonant ყ (q' - plosive uvular ejective) is a distinctive sound in the very important word სიყვარული (siq'varuli) meaning love. It seems now that those ejectives are not going to be impossibly hard after all.

I'm (slowly) learning the Georgian alphabet using Memrise. Amazing how easy it is to build lots of mnemonics for this alphabet. I could easily go faster, but I won't, no need to reduce the time on this enjoyable activity.

At the beginning, I'll also use Lyricstraining for Spanish, Italian, French and Catalan, in spite of finding there only a few musics that really pleases me.

Tomorrow I'll write a report about this first week of Japanese plus Georgian plus OP.
0 x

TexDeuce

Postby TexDeuce » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:04 pm

I do judo as well, the only Japanese I have learned is to count and whatever the throws are called. And other basic necessary words for training etc. That will probably be the extent of my Japanese lol. Great sport with amazing throws, though it's rough on the body.
1 x

Flarioca
White Belt

Postby Flarioca » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:48 pm

TexDeuce wrote:I do judo as well, the only Japanese I have learned is to count and whatever the throws are called. And other basic necessary words for training etc. That will probably be the extent of my Japanese lol. Great sport with amazing throws, though it's rough on the body.

For sure, nobody needs to learn Japanese to enjoy judo and most champions certainly don't know much more than counting as well.

However, being both a fan of judo and language learning makes it natural for me to want to learn Japanese ... I guess. ;)

Besides that, there are lots stuff that you won't find in any wother language, many research papers and even most of the writings from Jigoro Kano Shihan.

Anyway, I'm already having fun and the time well spent on Mandarin won't be wasted!! :D
0 x

Return to “Language logs”