Dbag's Spanish Log..Continued

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DBAG2
Languages: Spanish

Re: Dbag's Spanish Log..Continued

Postby DBAG2 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:26 am

Wow, its been nearly 3 months already. I ended up getting a little caught up in my personal life, but I've certainly not been idle.

I've finished 3 books by Juan Gomez Jurado https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_G%C3%B3mez-Jurado
I started with La leyenda del ladron . You can see the author speaking about the book here:
and listen to a review here:

It was a pretty big book, coming in at around 700 pages or so I think. It was set in something like 15th century seville, and the author puts in lots of historical details. I really enjoyed this one but can't think of much to say about it right now as I finished it several weeks ago.

I then read his first book, espia de dios and the follow up, Contrato de dios. They both feature a character called Padre Anthony Fowler , a catholic priest from America who used to be a C.I.A agent . I'm sure I read both of these books several years ago.

Espia de dios takes place in the vatican, following the death of the present pope. A new pope is to be elected, but a serial killer is picking off some of the candidates. The vatican decides to keep this secret. Some of it is slightly reminiscent of the Dan Brown novels. I know it was his first book, but somehow it just falls a little flat and seems to end in an anti-climax. You can hear someone talk about the book here :

Contrato de dios was quite a bit better, and is about a quest to find the ark of the covenant in the middle east, financed by a mysterious multi-millionaire. I think it came in at around 400 pages or so, and you can see a kind of "trailer" for the book here :

Its another book which seems to end in something of an anti-climax. With both of these books its almost as if he has some very good ideas for a story but doesn't quite know what to do with them, and certainly doesn't know how to bring everything together into a coherent whole.
That said, he is a very prolific author and I am planing to read some of his other books, once I've been through all the others on my shelf. As I said, "La Leyenda del Ladron " was great, so he obviously has potential.
7 x

Return to “Language logs”