Dedalus66's Language Odyssey

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
dedalus66
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Italian (B2), Greek (B1), Spanish (A2 - currently learning)

Re: Dedalus66's Language Odyssey

Postby dedalus66 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:15 am

Australia is supposed to be an oasis of normal life, that we can dream of from our lockedown/masked/quaranteed asylum. Pull your socks up!

Yes well, we seem to be of the mindset that one case is too many - many states go into snap lockdowns as soon as a case of "community transmission" is detected. Makes it tough to go out and speak languages!
2 x
"To have another language is to possess a second soul." - Charlemagne

dedalus66
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Italian (B2), Greek (B1), Spanish (A2 - currently learning)

Postby dedalus66 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:20 am

And it continues! (the lockdown that is). The language learning...well, could be better! But as I said in my first post on this blog, I believe the key to many things, not just language acquisition, is to do them, even when you have no motivation to do them. I will continue to make progress with Spanish, but I believe my Italian is inching ever closer to being my main fling. It's not complicated - it is just me!
4 x

dedalus66
Yellow Belt

Postby dedalus66 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:26 am

The Odyssey will not end! While I must admit that my motivation has waned somewhat, mainly due to different reasons (work, other interests, etc.) but with the arrival of the Australian "spring break" in one week, I will resume a more active approach to my learning process. What else is there to do over a holidays in lockdown? :D
3 x

dedalus66
Yellow Belt

Postby dedalus66 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:18 am

Well...it has. Kind of. This is just a pause. I have been continuing to read Assimil's "L'Espagnol sans peine", but on the language front, I have been rather inactive.

This is not unusual for me. But what is important is during this period, that I continue to practice all my languages, even if it is in the most minute of forms. For example, reading books in French or watching some videos on YouTube in Greek. The end of this period will give me renewed vigour for my next language learning adventure - I am leaning towards re-commencing Russian, or possibly honing my Italian once again.

Whatever happens however, there will always be some sort of learning happening, and that is what it is all about, isn't it?
5 x

dedalus66
Yellow Belt

Postby dedalus66 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:28 am

New year, new year me, or say they say. Or perhaps that is, new year, new language. I figured I'd change path for a moment and try to re-kindle my language learning habits by resuming my Russian studies. I'm on holidays at the moment and have made use of Duolingo to get into good habits and will resume Colloquial Russian/Assimil without Toil when I get home. Wish me luck!
2 x

dedalus66
Yellow Belt

Postby dedalus66 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:43 am

Well, time certainly does fly. With a new job, new location, new adventure AND a new family member (our baby was due June 2nd - it's getting very close now), language learning has taken a back seat. I am speaking an enormous amount of French compared to normal (my mother-in-law from France is living with us), which is great. But I've merely been dabbling in German on Duolingo - with a 135 day streak, it's not bad, but at the moment, I have no real structure, nor goal.

It's not the destination that counts, it's the journey
5 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:17 am

Congrats on the new addition! :D
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

dedalus66
Yellow Belt

Postby dedalus66 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:12 am

Many thanks! Baby is overdue by 4 days now, so should be anytime.

But this does not mean the end of the Odyssey, it just means a new adventure. I look forward to giving my child one of the greatest gifts possible: The love of languages. Perhaps I'll laugh at myself in 10 years, but one can only hope!
5 x

dedalus66
Yellow Belt

Postby dedalus66 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:24 pm

...and just like that, 9 weeks later, I have a very healthy, smiley young boy! It's been quite a ride, but we're finally settling into something resembling a routine. We speak to our LO almost exclusively in French - this is my main priority as he'll pick up English from the community. I also try and sing in a bit of Italian - yet to do any other language so far. I'm happy with this approach, as I don't necessarily want to bombard him with my passions, so to speak. Anyone else have experience with raising children bilingual/multilingual?
10 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:56 pm

Congratulations!!!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”