Elvira's Spanish via Telenovela Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elvira213
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2-ish)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 94fc1624da

Elvira's Spanish via Telenovela Log

Postby Elvira213 » Sat May 15, 2021 10:58 pm

Okay, not just telenovelas (Spanish-language soap operas) but they are a big part of my Spanish learning.

I just started Baselang (two hour-long lessons 6 days a week, hopefully) because I'm tired of being at A2 indefinitely.

I also use Duolingo, a little bit of Pimsleur (I really like it), and a few others apps/sites.

I'll add more later but I just wanted to post something to log my progress.
6 x

Araminta
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Español (intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 2ec7b88c80

Re: Elvira's Spanish via Telenovela Log

Postby Araminta » Sun May 16, 2021 5:02 pm

Hi Elvira213, I just stopped by to say hello. I'm learning Spanish too.

Elvira213 wrote:Okay, not just telenovelas (Spanish-language soap operas) but they are a big part of my Spanish learning.

I would love to hear your recommendations. Any telenovela on Netflix that was especially good?

Elvira213 wrote: I just started Baselang (two hour-long lessons 6 days a week, hopefully) because I'm tired of being at A2 indefinitely.

I'm using Baselang too, though I can only fit one hour lessons into my day. Which curriculum are you using? Real World?
1 x

Elvira213

Postby Elvira213 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:10 am

Thanks for your response, Araminta!

I mostly watch Mexican telenovelas using the Univision application. (Most cable/satellite services offer Univision as part of many of their channel packages, however.) Currently I'm watching "Diseñando tu amor" and "Quererlo todo" (though I'm really behind on Quererlo) on Univision. One of my Baselang tutors highly recommended "High Seas" on Netflix, however, so I'm going to try to start watching that too.

Yes, I am doing Baselang Real World. I really love it so far. It's so easy to fit the classes into my weird schedule, and I can already tell my spoken Spanish is improving.

I am trying to do more Duolingo daily. And I feel bad that I am so slow to progress with Pimsleur. I think Pimsleur really helped me a lot with pronunciation, especially at the beginning of my studies. I know my pronunciation has a way to go, but whatever I do right, I credit to Pimsleur, telenovelas, and a fortunate propensity to be able to roll my Rs.

I will return soon to write out a log entry properly!
4 x

Elvira213

Postby Elvira213 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Okay so I'll try to write a proper log entry.

I've had a long-standing telenovela habit starting over ten years ago, which was facilitated in part by Univision offering English closed captions. But I knew enough Spanish ten years ago to be able to follow along with Spanish CCs. But I mainly just enjoyed the stories, not fully comprehending that all those hours of watching and listening were seeping into my brain. At first, the dialog was just jibberish and I had to rely completely on the CCs, but in time, without any conscious effort, I started to understand more and more. Sometimes I'd even be able to follow the "gist" of the story without CCs. I watched hundreds of hours of telenovelas over several years. No studying grammar, just lazily listening and enjoying the absurd (but fun) plots.

Because of how much I passively improved, I'm a HUGE believer and advocate of TV shows/films for helping with listening comprehension and vocabulary.

Now I'm making an effort to actually learn to speak the language, because it's frustrating to be able to listen and (sort of) understand, but not be able to speak a word.

My goal right now:

Two hours of Baselang (and/or iTalki) six days a week.
One episode (45 minutes) of a telenovela 5-7 days a week. (I'm following two telenovelas right now, so this should be more!)
Thirty minutes daily (hopefully more) of Duolingo and/or other learning apps 7 days a week.

I also need to add reading into the mix. I do "read" the CCs on my telenovelas, so this sort of "counts," but I have a lot of novels in Spanish that I know would really help me pick up the pace.

I'm still at A2, but think I'm on the cusp of B1. Ultimately, I'd like to be at least B2 or preferably, C1-C2. I've been hovering in A2 territory for about a year and am weary of it.

My hope is to be B2 before the end of the year. And then continue to improve via telenovelas, conversations in Spanish, and reading.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”