Floret learns French

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Floret
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

Floret learns French

Postby Floret » Thu May 13, 2021 3:35 pm

I've finally got round to starting this log in an attempt to help keep myself accountable.

In the past I've spent more time reading about learning languages than actually learning them, more time planning how I'm going to learn than following said plan and just overall procrastinating. This time round I'm trying to be more lax about things, it doesn't matter if I'm not on the most efficient path to 'fluency', as long as I keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Back in 2018 I did a 4 week course in France starting from nil. By the end I think I was a shaky A1, in hindsight I wish I'd learnt a little before I went and spent less time talking in English with my classmates but it is what it is. Since then my studies have been sporadic, I started an A2 class but quit halfway through and I've attempted various beginner resources but haven't stuck with anything for long and have had several long breaks interspersed with a week or two of study.

My current plan is simple and hopefully achievable for once. I'm working my way slowly through French Uncovered and restarting Assimil French, maybe adding in a bit of Kwiziq when I rememeber it. I've also started lessons on Verbling, I've been aiming to do 2 lessons a week.

As a baseline for this log I've attempted the dialang tests in reading and listening. I found the test process a bit intimidating and I can't face completing the writing, structures and vocab ones. So my results for May 2021, B1 for reading and A2 for listening. I'd consider both to be an over-optimistic assessment but hopefully they'll help put things in perspective so a year from now I can show myself some improvement, even if it's just an improvement in test taking.
9 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: Floret learns French

Postby Xenops » Thu May 13, 2021 4:46 pm

Welcome to the forum! Yes, it is rather easy to spend time reading about languages than...Actually...studying them. :? :lol:

Look forward to following your log. :)
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Floret
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

Postby Floret » Fri May 14, 2021 3:21 pm

I usually have Thursdays and Fridays off so this is my weekend roundup. I don't know how often is ideal to update, I don't want to fall into the trap of being super keen to start with then like new year resolutions dropping off the bandwagon within a month. We shall have to see how it goes.

This week marks the 10th lesson I've had on Verbling. It's still a bit like running for me, the time right before a run I somewhat dread it and think of ways to get out of it but it's fine once I've started and the feeling once I've finished is what keeps me coming back to it. So yeah, speaking French is like running. It has gotten easier, I almost backed out of the trial lesson last minute whereas I'd almost say I look forward to my lessons. Or more realistically I only slightly dread it an hour before compared to the whole day before. I've added all quizes that relate to the topics we covered into 2 seperate notebooks in Kwiziq, if I have time over the week I'll quiz those notebooks alongide the recommended study plan.

Speaking of Kwiziq I'm at 95.63% A0, 51.35% A1 and 1.01% A2. I've found it all too easy to get stuck drilling the easy stuff I know until it's 100% rather than moving onto the stuff I'm more unsure about and should actually be spending more time on so I think I'll try and forget that I haven't drilled A0 to perfection.

With French Uncovered I've started chapter 18 today. I've been taking quite a passive approach to it, my plan is to go back through it once I've finshed the last chapter(chapter 20) and do the vocab, grammar and speaking exercises. Part of why I'd left it was I didn't like trying to write on a screen and I only now have access to a printer. The other part is it is easier to just watch a video or just listen whilst reading. At least having done it this way the exercises should be fairly easy.

Assimil I've picked up and put down multiple times in the past, I've recently restarted it and have just finished lesson 28. It's still quite easy so I'm trying to move through at least the first half fairly quickly rather than wasting time on stuff I already know well. I'm planning on following the Dutch instructions so passive and active wave, years ago I attempted to learn Dutch with assimil but I've since lost the book. I still have a copy of the mp3 CD, though I no longer have any way of playing it. Maybe one day I'll buy the book again and restart Dutch.

Rather a long post but future posts will no doubt be a lot shorter, at least I hope so!
5 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Fri May 14, 2021 8:22 pm

Floret wrote:I
 My current plan is simple and hopefully achievable for once. I'm working my way slowly through French Uncovered and restarting Assimil French, maybe adding in a bit of Kwiziq when I rememeber it. I've also started lessons on Verbling, I've been aiming to do 2 lessons a week.

Welcome.

Keep it simple. More is not really better. All courses just give the basics. There are entry point into the language. A necessary pain to outgrow as soon as possible.

If I were starting French, I would only do:

Assimil + Anki + 501 Common French Verbs + Kwiziq

And that's it!... Done, ready for podcast, Tedxtalks, youtubes, serials, etc. ...books, books, books... Open French culture.

Good luck.
0 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Return to “Language logs”