Le Baron's casual reading log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Le Baron's casual reading log

Postby Le Baron » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:13 pm

german2k01 wrote:I have a counter-question. When I was a zero beginner I tried interacting with native Germans for once I could not understand them at all also I could not produce a single cohesive sentence which is understandable as I was not exposed to the language extensively. My language device was empty. Hence, my question for you is, is it necessary to be in an "incubation period" where you try to absorb a lot of language through watching TV and reading books, let's say, a year or so then go out and start practicing that passive knowledge. As per my own observation at work or dealing with workers in shops; I am now in a better position to understand what they are saying and I have a better stock of phrases to try out in a given situation than I was before the incubation/silent period. Even without extensive speaking practice under my belt, I am able to use better collocations/phrases that I have acquired through watching TV shows, etc.

I agree with you at some point I need to speak, but again communication is a two-way process if you can not understand what others are saying to you how can you even reply or speak?

Of course you need a preparation period, I don't think anyone would disagree with that. I wouldn't expect any adult learner to just drop themselves cold into an L2 situation and be able to function. It would be absurd. How could a 'zero beginner' even interact or hope to interact? It's like reporting for work as a biochemist when you've not even so much as read the Wikipedia biochemistry article!

Your particular situation of being in the target language country is a bit different though. Different from someone busy learning the language outside a place where the language is the daily currency of communication. That last tends to be less pressured, more controlled and structured - specifically because they are not required/expected to speak the language unless they choose to. So, yes, you must do a course or two (or three) and read a lot and watch TV and listen - to media and real-life speech.

However I think the interaction can start when you need it to start. What does that mean though? Probably not religiously abiding by some holy polyglot's pronouncement that says: "the theory is... you can/should remain silent for the first year". Silent? Does that mean e.g. never going to the supermarket and answering the robotic questions from the cashier? "Zahlen Sie bar? ... Möchten Sie die Quittung?" Even when you know what they are and know the possible answers? This despite the fact that just yet one might feel they can't chat freely to a neighbour? Training the recognition of real-time speech and response benefits from as early a start as possible. Expect to fail half the time, to look incompetent for a while. I'll tell you a true anecdote...

When I started learning Dutch in Belgium I'd pretty much completed Hugo 3 Months and was halfway through Hugo 'Further'. I was by this time living in the border region and worked four days a week further south where I could get along fine in French. But we already had a plan to move north and later to NL. So I bit the bullet and joined a work agency to work on my free day. Lied about my CV so I could apply for basic jobs (pill packing factory, private post sorting...). On the first day of this I was with some people who were given tasks and then this fellow said in a typical accent: 'oké, loop even mee...' Now what? Was I even sure I knew what he'd said? Did I know those words, that phrase? There wasn't the time to do much thinking. And that's a soft situation, because the guy was already turning and walking and any fool knows at that point that the aim is to follow. Direct questions are harder because you have to gasp them and formulate an answer within a reasonable space. It's one thing to have memorised questions from a book, but they can appear in real-life as contorted varieties in unusual accents.

I screwed up so many encounters: at a sandwich shop; when the builders came to our apartment, where I used the male 'vriend' (mijn vriend is er niet vandaag...) instead of 'vriendin' when talking about my partner, so they assumed I was gay; when I caught a train. I mispronounced the word onbekend as 'on-bay-kend', even though I already knew the German cognate. For who-knows-what reason.. that 'beker' (beaker) is said 'bay-ker' maybe? Just a lapse, who knows. But this fades away as you go along and it's partly because you are accumulating knowledge from all sources and employing it. The old-school world used to call it 'learning on the job'. And I say this because the gap between course material, fiction/non-fiction, media listening and talking to people in actual life is real. And that it's as well to start dealing with it from about the time you think you've absorbed enough language you'd need to function as a tourist. That is not a huge amount. 'Incubating' the beginning from zero to basic knowledge is expected. Incubating the entire process to come out a competent speaker with minimal failures is, to mind at least, fictional and misguided. Nothing worth acquiring is acquired without a struggle.
8 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:45 am

When a shopkeeper wishes me Merry Christmas I do say "du auch" ; yes, I engage in these yes or no types of conversations.

My question is in regards to speaking fluently about day-to-day topics under the sun. For example, what is going on with the political situation in Germany and surrounding countries what happens if Russia overtakes Ukraine, will it trigger WW3? What jobs are people doing? What's going on in their normal lives etc? Also, to formulate questions on the fly when engaging in a simultaneous conversation.

Your suggestion for engaging with water is working as I get to use some of my passive knowledge of the language with employees. Sometimes I used a phrase that I read in a novel or heard in a TV show.

In regards to visiting shops asking questions for example looking for a specific item. Do you recommend using an online translator like DEEPL if I do not know how to ask a question in a certain way? And memorize the correct sentence beforehand even though it sounds formal?

or try to come up with a natural phrasing by myself, double-check and fix it with the online translator?

Which way is better?

I am thinking about visiting Thalia.De bookstore in my area and asking for a specific author or book recommendation for someone who is learning German just to see how the whole conversation may turn out.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:21 pm

german2k01 wrote:When a shopkeeper wishes me Merry Christmas I do say "du auch" ; yes, I engage in these yes or no types of conversations.

I used to say 'danke, gleichfalls', or 'ebenfalls'. All the common sorts of set greetings/replies are worth investigating. Often you'll only have to observe what others say or do. I still fail to respond as expected at times. Yesterday someone said 'fijne dagen' (referring to the Christmas days) and I said 'ja, fijne dag'. I thought the guy was merely wishing me good day in general, because I didn't know him from Adam! Plus the final 'en' is very unstressed, but I ought to have known. I'm used to these clashes by now.

german2k01 wrote:My question is in regards to speaking fluently about day-to-day topics under the sun. For example, what is going on with the political situation in Germany and surrounding countries what happens if Russia overtakes Ukraine, will it trigger WW3? What jobs are people doing? What's going on in their normal lives etc? Also, to formulate questions on the fly when engaging in a simultaneous conversation.

I'd say if they're complicated they're some distance away and how far depends on varying factors. Any special vocabulary required will be in the news stories and if you watch news items about such a thing you'll see how other people phrase the issue under discussion. Most depends on your own fluency and general fluency rests on how much discussion practise you've had. You crawl, then walk then run. Fluid discussion of a wide range of topics is something that comes with time. There's a general rule of thumb usually offered with grammatical sentence construction for L2 learners: keep it as simple as possible. Otherwise you risk getting into a tangle and stalling. In conversation people love to finish other people's sentences, so you can parrot the suggestions. ;)

Most questions have a standard formulation, there's no need to create a long monologue to ask what someone's job is. Just ask the simplest questions, get the simple answer and respond to that and so on. Interrupt if they're getting complicated. Don't be afraid to ask for repeats and to use simple question mechanisms to get more information (or stall and get a repeat if you didn't catch it) like: auf welche weise / inwieweit?...wie passiert das? The thing is the 'discussions' will be a bit superficial at first; sort of : 'what do you do?..'oh that's interesting'...'for how long?'..'does it pay well?' (zahlt es gut?)...yada yada. All the accumulated interactions over time are how you collect ways to express yourself. Above all don't get hooked up on the idea of 'not sounding like a learner' and therefore avoiding looking stupid. As a non-German person you'll likely even get some people questioning your ability even when you feel competent.

german2k01 wrote:In regards to visiting shops asking questions for example looking for a specific item. Do you recommend using an online translator like DEEPL if I do not know how to ask a question in a certain way? And memorize the correct sentence beforehand even though it sounds formal? Or try to come up with a natural phrasing by myself, double-check and fix it with the online translator? Which way is better?

Of course if that helps. Here's one of the easiest ways to find out whether a question/statement is a commonly used formulation: use the translator and see what different results it offers (maybe check the dictionary as well), then formulate some questions using them and put them into the search field of Google (or another search engine). If lots of hits turn up of people using them to ask questions, you can be fairly sure they are commonly used. Or you'll discover what native speakers do use. Don't prepare a detailed script though because a reply that doesn't fit will throw you off! Go for the basic structures then indeed attempt to use them in as naturalistic a way as you can.

german2k01 wrote:I am thinking about visiting Thalia.De bookstore in my area and asking for a specific author or book recommendation for someone who is learning German just to see how the whole conversation may turn out.

That's good. If you want the conversation to be measured rather than unmanageable and thus unsatisfactory, don't be afraid to suggest a warning that you might not understand everything. Such as: Ich lerne/studiere Deutsche aber ich bin ganz nicht fortgeschritten (theatrical laughter).... aber Ich habe eine Frage zu einem Buch/Ich suche ein Buch ..mit dem Titel...und der Autor ist... and go from there...

If you're feeling brave and someone is being difficult or defaulting to English, you might try: "Hör mal! Wir können Deutsch oder Urdu sprechen...wählen Sie!"
3 x
- Jonathan Swift

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:28 pm

Hmmm my first (almost) completed book of the new year is not Spanish. This is not supposed to happen. A week ago I started reading a play: Un piano dans l'herbe by Françoise Sagan, and I've rattled through it because of a less busy schedule.

It's amazing how much more quickly you can get through a play than a book of prose. I think perhaps I should try this for Spanish, because the natural flow of dialogue is a constant exposure to model examples for speech. And the more true to life the dialogue, the better; so likely modern works of theatre. If I could get some plays like this in Spanish, with exact audio performances I think this could well be a source of L-R type material that would be useful to me.
9 x
- Jonathan Swift

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:25 am

Just to clear this up.. I don't have to create some new log just because the year changed, do I? I'm quite happy with this one.
2 x
- Jonathan Swift

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:30 am

Nope! Just keep going if you want!
2 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:17 pm

I haven't changed logs in years.
4 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:25 pm

Just under two months ago I sent a letter to my old piano teacher? I got a reply today and the envelope was completely torn open at the top! >:(

Unfortunately it was mostly bad news. He told me that a week ago his old aunt Minnie had died. Also that his father died last May at the grand age of 98. So now he's alone in their bungalow and he's pretty hopeless at domestic and social tasks. He already had porridge dripped onto his tie all the time several decades ago when I was having lessons.

He said there was a lot of vandalism going on now and that someone had smashed one of the panes in the front windows. That's bad because they are old-school stained-glass type windows and hard to replace. I'm quite worried.

He also said: "your written French is 'as original' as your music". However I remember that he thought my music was "unusual", somewhat lacking in form and not to his taste. So it's probably not a compliment.

At the end of the letter he wrote these two things:

Voix muettes, proclamez la vérité:
A quoi bon insister sans persister?
A quoi bon subsister sans résister?
A quoi bon exister sans liberté?

Translation:
Silent (or 'mute') voices, proclaim the truth:
What is the use of/what good is there in insisting without persisting?
What is the use of subsisting without resisting?
What is the use of existing without freedom?

Then in English:

Let all the silent shout with dying breath -
WHAT ELSE IS EACH SLAVE'S LIFE BUT LIVING DEATH?
The naked truth, too quiet, loudly tell -
WHAT ELSE IS LIFE ON EARTH BUT LIVING HELL?

So yes, I think he might be a bit out of sorts right now!
3 x
- Jonathan Swift

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:51 pm

Le Baron wrote:So yes, I think he might be a bit out of sorts right now!

Maybe you and your wife can use a piano playing roomer?
2 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:06 pm

luke wrote:
Le Baron wrote:So yes, I think he might be a bit out of sorts right now!

Maybe you and your wife can use a piano playing roomer?

Unfortunately the fellow's too far away in another country, but I contacted my brother to go and visit him and see if anything needs to be done. At least to make sure he gets a decent meal and some meaningful conversation.

It is no doubt very bad when you've lived an intellectual sort of life, as he has, to then have your life shrink down to mundane routine. In the past I've seen people meet him at home, people from the council or social services, talking to him like he's a simpleton, when he was trekking around Soviet Russia playing concerts before they were even born.

Life is unjust.
3 x
- Jonathan Swift

Return to “Language logs”