Le Baron's casual reading log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Le Baron's casual reading log

Postby Le Baron » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:23 pm

german2k01 wrote:My question is, how long should we aim for the consumption of media through listening and also through speaking before actually picking up a book and start to read it?

At some point, I would also like to enjoy reading books/novels fluently in my target language.

I'll touch on the last sentence above. I can enjoy books in my target languages, but I am not 100%. I think if some say they are, then they are few and that most people just improve over a fairly long period while being essentially functional. They can read better because they can use the language better in all its capacities.

What I'm essentially getting at is that even though we have to read and do all the other direct textual things, because it's L2 learning rather than first language learning, the acquisition of the language as 'use' language is a knack thing rather than a content thing past some point. This is why you get those people who are functioning after only 3-4 months when they can't possibly have learned the mass of necessary vocabulary required to meet native speakers on their level - and that some who might have, somehow still can't put it to use. What they have acquired however, is the knack. That thing when the penny drops and your inhibitions fall and you're actually running rather than endlessly planning how to approach the starting blocks. This is not a 'revelation' borne of doing the right amount of reading or listening, it's a getting into the water act. Most often people prepare forever and a beautiful blueprint of a house, no matter how carefully planned, is not a house; it's just an idea. It's only when you start work on it in reality that the real obstacles manifest themselves.

As far as I'm concerned there are no time measures and plans and page counting worth the name. All this 6000, 10,000, 102 pages-a-day thing is nonsense. If I say anything at all I say that I read maybe 2-3 dozen books in my first three years of learning Dutch (about the same for German, many more in French because I started young), more about that isn't necessary. I didn't count the damn pages or the words, some of them I didn't even finish. This is not like algebra. Planned bursts of study is fine and necessary, but this minute graph plotting thing reaching visible ideal points in time to do things is just so much rubbish. It's something transplanted over from exam preparation mindsets. Quite a few people are doing exam prep work and understandably look for measures (as the exam itself is).

When I took the Dutch exams I didn't even care about the marking system, or the names given to the results or anything. You either fail it or don't. Of course I wanted to pass it, so I just did all the exercises, read a lot (often with text books of selected 'reading material'). I read the short articles in the paper, and most importantly I talked to everyone about anything and everything, since how else is one to prepare for a speaking exam which involves free-form expression? Even then, some of those who failed it still went out to the pub and talked to people in the target language because they'd done all the experience work.

I know you are in the country of your TL and that you want to speak the language. So I urge you to do things like going into the post office and initiating an awkward discussion about how much it will cost to send a package somewhere. Or going to the bakery and asking for something specific. Or to the supermarket and asking where a certain item is. To a man in the street about where a certain street is (even if you know exactly where it is). All of these things persistently every day until the way people respond and the things they say become obvious patterns and you absorb them. Reading books is never going to give you that, not ever even if you read 100,000,000 pages. After understanding the raw basics or finishing a regular course, you can either speak the language or you can't and it's a doing/necessity thing.
Last edited by Le Baron on Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:56 pm

Le Baron wrote:My basic argument is that reading is what already-functional language users do, not the other way around. They don't read to learn the language, they learn the language then read - I imagine this will appear contradictory, but it isn't. It makes you a better user, but reading novels is not the initial thing that makes you a functional user of a language in the general sense. It only helps and the amount of what might be called 'baggage' or 'wastage' is high because novels are experiences and collecting things from experiences is slow and low-yield, but when your every waking hour is filled with such experiences it accrues.

The bolded sentence is crucial. It's a perennial point of tension in ancient language pedagogy: no one starts off learning Latin to talk with ancient Romans, for obvious reasons, but if all you do is throw yourself at Latin texts written for those ancient native speakers you can't talk to, you won't make good progress. (A few people do make progress like this, but it's in spite of the methodology rather than because of it, and I suspect they'd have made even faster progress if they'd done it differently. Unfortunately those people often get teaching positions and then perpetuate the ineffective methodology that just so happened to work for them.) "Living" or "communicative" approaches to ancient languages have become popular largely because more and more people are recognizing that speaking and writing prepares learners to read and reinforces their reading skills.

(I realize you weren't talking about ancient languages, but I thought they were a good illustration of your point.)
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:13 pm

Herodotean wrote: [...] "Living" or "communicative" approaches to ancient languages have become popular largely because more and more people are recognizing that speaking and writing prepares learners to read and reinforces their reading skills.

(I realize you weren't talking about ancient languages, but I thought they were a good illustration of your point.)

Yes indeed and it is a good illustration; more so because it had that 'living language' element torn away and sunk into a dry exercise for quite a long time. That push to make Latin (and not just Latin) a language outside of translating selections from Ovid is a great thing.
2 x
- Jonathan Swift

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:29 pm

Le Baron wrote:So I urge you to do things like going into the post office and initiating an awkward discussion about how much it will cost to send a package somewhere. Or going to the bakery and asking for something specific. Or to the supermarket and asking where a certain item is. To a man in the street about where a certain street is (even if you know exactly where it is). All of these things persistently every day until the way people respond and the things they say become obvious patterns and you absorb them.

I remember reading a blog by a guy who was learning Chinese and lived in China. He would deliberately spark up conversations with people who were bored spitless and couldn't escape. For example, he spent an entire 8-hour shift chatting with a car park attendant in his booth. The guy had to be there, had nothing to do except lift the barrier once in a while and was happy for the company. I remember he gave a few examples, like security guards, etc.
8 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:43 pm

rdearman wrote:I remember reading a blog by a guy who was learning Chinese and lived in China. He would deliberately spark up conversations with people who were bored spitless and couldn't escape. For example, he spent an entire 8-hour shift chatting with a car park attendant in his booth. The guy had to be there, had nothing to do except lift the barrier once in a while and was happy for the company. I remember he gave a few examples, like security guards, etc.

Very devious, but also excellent. It really is the way to go for this sort of experience.
0 x
- Jonathan Swift

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:55 pm

Cet aprèm je suis allé au supermarché. Sur mon vélo j'ai une élastique (en fait j'en ai plusieurs), sur le grand porte-colis au guidon. Lorsque je l'ai verrouillé mon vélo, l'élastique semblait être tombé sur le sol, mais je ne l'avais pas vu. Cinq minutes plus tard un homme m'a adressé près du frigo à fromage. Il m'a dit, gloussant: 'Monsieur, je crois que vous avez laissé tomber cet élastique...' Et il l'a tenu devant moi, entre les deux doigts comme une souris morte. Je lui ai jeté un regard interrogateur. J'essaye de trouver une bonne traduction de 'meddlesome', mais elle ne me vient pas à l'esprit en ce moment. En tout cas, il y a beaucoup de ce genre ici.

La forme de sa phrase est toujours problématique pour moi ; et c'est pratiquement la même construction en néerlandais qu'en français (et aussi en anglais en y pensant): 'je hebt deze elastiek laten vallen'. L'implication est qu'on a quelque-chose 'laissé tomber' et d'après moi il s'agit d'une action nettement volontaire. Mais ce n'était pas volontaire ! A mon avis - voire en réalité! - c'est l'élastique-même qui est tombé, pour une raison inconnue, et ça c'est assez différent, non ? Je lui ai répondu: 'Non, je regrette, mais ce n'est pas le mien, je n'en ai pas perdu. Vous pouvez le garder si vous voulez. Ils sont très utiles'. Je me sentais triomphant quand je m'éloignais de lui, mais j'ai oublié d'acheter mon fromage..alors, on est quittes.
2 x
- Jonathan Swift

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:01 pm

Eh. I work full time, I have kids, I’m not in a French speaking country. Reading is the way for me to have meaningful interaction with French. I would love to be 23 again and sitting in a cafe or even a car park practicing my French for hours, and someday I hope to do just that, but that’s a good 20 years away. So for now I read. And watch TV. All the time I spend now isn’t going to hurt when I can finally pour my energy into speaking.
5 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:26 am

Lawyer&Mom wrote:Eh. I work full time, I have kids, I’m not in a French speaking country. Reading is the way for me to have meaningful interaction with French. I would love to be 23 again and sitting in a cafe or even a car park practicing my French for hours, and someday I hope to do just that, but that’s a good 20 years away. So for now I read. And watch TV. All the time I spend now isn’t going to hurt when I can finally pour my energy into speaking.

If you're replying to something I've specifically said jog my memory with a little reminder. I'm also not in a French-speaking country. I used to be, but alas. I seek it out where I can. I'm not in the country of my current target language either, but I seek that out too, there are pockets to be found. I also work full-time.
I'm not anti-reading, far from it. All the stuff further up really referred back to german2k01 who is eager to interact in German where he is in the country. In that situation I don't think it's useful or practical to take a heavy reading-only approach. Understanding is a big step, but interactive production is a different skill, no matter how much passive knowledge. I agree that greater comprehension experience will help.
1 x
- Jonathan Swift

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:14 am

I totally agree that an reading heavy approach when you are on the ground is misguided, and I’m sure I told him so! So we are probably more in agreement than I thought.
4 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:43 am

I'm not anti-reading, far from it. All the stuff further up really referred back to german2k01 who is eager to interact in German where he is in the country. In that situation I don't think it's useful or practical to take a heavy reading-only approach. Understanding is a big step, but interactive production is a different skill, no matter how much passive knowledge. I agree that greater comprehension experience will help.

I have a counter-question. When I was a zero beginner I tried interacting with native Germans for once I could not understand them at all also I could not produce a single cohesive sentence which is understandable as I was not exposed to the language extensively. My language device was empty. Hence, my question for you is, is it necessary to be in an "incubation period" where you try to absorb a lot of language through watching TV and reading books, let's say, a year or so then go out and start practicing that passive knowledge. As per my own observation at work or dealing with workers in shops; I am now in a better position to understand what they are saying and I have a better stock of phrases to try out in a given situation than I was before the incubation/silent period. Even without extensive speaking practice under my belt, I am able to use better collocations/phrases that I have acquired through watching TV shows, etc.

I agree with you at some point I need to speak, but again communication is a two-way process if you can not understand what others are saying to you how can you even reply or speak?
1 x

Return to “Language logs”