Nandemonai's log (Mandarin, German, Tadoku)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Nandemonai
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch/Flemish (N), English (fluent), Japanese (fluent)
Actively studying: Mandarin (intermediate), German (beginner)
On break: Korean (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1684

Re: Nandemonai's log (Japanese, Korean, Mandarin) TAC '16 Team East Asian Languages

Postby Nandemonai » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:14 am

I was recommended to check out a drama cd called モノクロームパレード. I hadn't listened to a drama cd before in Japanese and took this opportunity to try it out. It's interesting, fun, and not too mentally taxing. I can understand what the characters are saying to each other rather well, but the long monologues by some strange character are hard to understand due the sound effects they've put on. I also noticed that the numbers in Japanese are still a pain when they're spoken. Today was also a day were I hit a milestone! 30 days on uninterrupted Anki usage. I'm very happy how I've been able to keep it under control and consistent.

Today was the first day I sat down at my desk to do some serious Korean studies. I went through chapter 15 of できる韓国・初級1, read the dialogue, studied the words, and did the exercises. The chapter covered the grammar points ~고 싶어요 & ~고 싶어해요. The last exercise had us write down a short text about what you'd like to do when you're in Korea and I wrote down the following:

한국에서 친구를 만나고 싶어요. 대학교에서 친구가 됐어요. 제 친구 이름이 김상민이에요. 상민랑 같이 영화 보고 싶어요. 그리고 술을도 마시고 노래하고 싶어요.

I didn't get it corrected yet, so please let me know if you notice any mistakes in there. It's also a story I made up, the name is a character from in my book.
2 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Re: Nandemonai's log (Japanese, Korean, Mandarin) TAC '16 Team East Asian Languages

Postby Nandemonai » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:35 am

I've calculated my ideal Anki pace now that I've been able to keep it up for a solid 30 days (1.5 months even not counting that one day switching timezones). My goal is to spend around one hour a day on it for all my languages combined. I ended up with the following numbers:

Mandarin: (10 cards/minute)
10/day @ 90% => 10k by 1000 (2y 9m), 100-120 reviews/day, 10-12mins/day
15/day @ 90% => 10k by 667 (1y 10m), 140-180 reviews/day, 14-18mins/day
20/day @ 90% => 20k by 500 (1y 4m 2w), 190-220 reviews/day, 19-22mins/day

Korean: (6.4 cards/minute)
10/day @ 94.5% => 10k by 1000 (2y 9m), 90-100 reviews/day, 14-16mins/day
15/day @ 94.5% => 10k by 667 (1y 10m), 120-140 reviews/day, 19-22mins/day
20/day @ 94.5% => 10k by 500 (1y 4m 2w), 160-190 reviews/day, 25-30mins/day

Japanese: (10.3 cards/minute)
10/day @ 92% => 10k by 1000 (2y 9m), 90-110 reviews/day, 9-11mins/day
15/day @ 92% => 10k by 667 (1y 10m), 140-160 reviews/day, 14-16mins/day
20/day @ 92% => 10k by 500 (1y 4m 2w), 180-200 reviews/day, 17-19mins/day
Other decks/day: 5 (RTK) + 2 (KM) = ~7min/day

Conclusion:
Mandarin: 20/day ~20.5mins/day
Korean: 15/day ~20.5mins/day
Japanese: 10/day ~17mins/day

I'm going to keep Japanese to 10/day because I don't need to learn that many new things through Anki anymore, and it gives me a little room for error with the other two. Mandarin is fast to review because I got 3 cards/new word.

I had a good day studying Korean today. I finished the review section covering chapters 11-15 of できる韓国語・初級1 and spent an hour on studying the polite forms. Now going to sleep after reading a little more in Japanese.
0 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:49 am

Week 5 update:
Pretty standard week for me. Did a little bit of everything, except for extra listening practice. I've been really enjoying this audio drama I was recommended (モノクロームパレード). It's been hard to limit myself to listen to only one chapter a day. My main purpose for doing so is to build a listening habit. Lately I've noticed that my listening ability has become a little rusty. I should see a lot of progress over the next couple weeks or months if I could make myself listen to Japanese for 10-30mins every day during times I'd be listening to music (e.g. commuting, walking, gym, etc...).

I've decided to add in some intensive reading for Korean because it's my goal to read Yotsuba semi-extensively by the end of the 6 week challenge. I'll be using the original Japanese volumes to compare sentences and drill them with Anki.

While I was going through chapter 13 of NPCR1 I noticed I had some gaps in my vocabulary of stuff I learned in the previous chapters. Right now I'm learning core 2k from iKnow but that doesn't really overlap completely with NPCR. I'll pause core 2k for a week or so and focus on the gaps in NPCR.

Over the next two-three months I will have to write a bachelor paper to graduate. I've decided to do this in English, on one hand because my Dutch writing is REALLY bad, and on the other because I'm more interested in improving my English. You can expect to see some English writing study in this log during that time. This week will be the last week I'll have as much free time so I'll be taking advantage of that to get stuff done.

Goals:
  • JP: Read 50 pages of NGNL2
    Read 4 pages
  • JP: Read 50 pages of Kino no Tabi 5
    Read 52 pages
  • KR: Spend 7 hours on できる韓国語
    4h10min out of 7 hours completed
  • ZH: Chapter 13 of NPCR1
    Went through the texts/grammar points, will have to review it more
  • JP/KR/ZH: Keep up Anki streak
    Still going strong!

End of week 5 Anki stats:
JP MATURE: 8786 (+17)
JP YOUNG: 794 (+56)
ZH MATURE: 1056 (+46)
ZH YOUNG: 310 (+64)
KR MATURE: 327 (+32)
KR YOUNG: 233 (+58)
TOTAL MATURE: 10169 (+95)
TOTAL YOUNG: 1337 (+178)

Stats for 2016#05:

Goals for week 5 (~25h):
  • JP: Read 70 book pages (~3h20m)
  • JP: Read 1 manga volume (30m-1h)
  • JP: Listen to モノクロームパレード daily (4h32m)
  • KR: Spend 5 hours on できる韓国語 (5h)
  • KR: Yotsuba&! chapter 1 intensive study
  • ZH: Review chapter 13 of NPCR1 (30m)
  • ZH: Identify unknown vocab in chapters 1-13 of NPCR1 and unsuspend them in Anki to prioritize learning these words (3h)
  • JP/KR/ZH: Keep up Anki streak (~4h)
1 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:05 am

Had a very productive evening/night for once. Put in a total of 5 hours, meeting all goals for the day.
On lesson 16 of できる韓国語, only 4 left until the next volume.

Screenshot 2016-02-10 09.02.16.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:42 pm

Week 6 update:
I don't have that much time to talk about last week because I'm starting my internship tomorrow. I reached most of my goals. I'm almost finished with キノの旅5, only got about 40 pages left in that one. I intend to finish it this week. I also finished with the drama cd I was listening to. It was amazing. A great story. This week I'll be focusing on Korean instead of Japanese for audio learning while on the go. I'll most likely cycle between these two for the time being.

Anki is still going strong as well. I'm glad to see that the numbers I crunched earlier have been more or less correct so far. If anyone notices the 15 minutes I spent on German in my weekly stats: don't think I'm really studying the language. I just have the German assimil book in Dutch that I like to read once in a while. Which was the case last week when I couldn't sleep.

I noticed I got some issues with keeping up with Mandarin. After looking back at the last couple weeks I noticed I barely spent any time on it outside of Anki. I'll have to see how I can make more time for it. I might have to move some of my Japanese and/or Korean study time to it. I'm off to bed now so I'm well rested for my first day of my Internship.

Goals:
  • JP: Read 70 book pages (~3h20m)
    Read exactly 70 after adding all pages up. Doesn't include what I read on my kindle since I can't really track that there.
  • JP: Read 1 manga volume (30m-1h)
    Read あせびと空世界の冒険者1. Going to read volume 2 this week, though I'm not sure if I'll read much further as it didn't really hook me like ハカイジュウ did.
  • JP: Listen to モノクロームパレード daily (4h32m)
    Yay! This one was really great. I had trouble understanding some of the chapters, but I'd say that I was able to understand almost all chapters except like two of them. It's such a brutal story. I got so invested into the characters...and then learning how it all ended was just crazy.
  • KR: Spend 5 hours on できる韓国語 (5h)
    I got a little more even, almost 6 hours.
  • KR: Yotsuba&! chapter 1 intensive study
    Although I couldn't finish the chapter, I worked on it enough to count it as done.
    ...totally forgot about NPCR this week.
  • ZH: Identify unknown vocab in chapters 1-13 of NPCR1 and unsuspend them in Anki to prioritize learning these words (3h)
    Also goes for this one.
    No misses!

End of week 6 Anki stats:
JP MATURE: 8849 (+63)
JP YOUNG: 800 (+6)
ZH MATURE: 1153 (+97)
ZH YOUNG: 332 (+22)
KR MATURE: 417 (+90)
KR YOUNG: 248 (+15)
TOTAL MATURE: 10419 (+250)
TOTAL YOUNG: 1380 (+43)

Stats for 2016#06:

Goals for week 7 (~16h30m):
  • JP: Read 40 book pages (~2h)
  • JP: Read 1 manga volume (1h)
  • KR: Listen to Talk To Me In Korean daily (4h)
  • KR: Spend 3 hours on できる韓国語 (3h)
  • KR: Yotsuba&! intensive study (2h)
1 x

kujichagulia
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), Portuguese (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=858

Postby kujichagulia » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:52 am

すごく頑張ってるね!私も未来で韓国語、中国語を勉強したいだが、日本語がむずかしいので、多分9、10年間後かも。 (笑)

質問を聞きたいですが、Nandemonaiさんの日本語の読んだ小説のおすすめを教えてくれませんか?私は最近本を読み始めたので、いい小説を探してるんですけど。
0 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:53 am

kuji wrote:すごく頑張ってるね!私も未来で韓国語、中国語を勉強したいだが、日本語がむずかしいので、多分9、10年間後かも。 (笑)

質問を聞きたいですが、Nandemonaiさんの日本語の読んだ小説のおすすめを教えてくれませんか?私は最近本を読み始めたので、いい小説を探してるんですけど。

もちろん!僕が一番好きになった本は「GO(金城一紀)」と「GOTH(乙一)」です。GOはちょっと読みやすいと思います。主人公は在日朝鮮人から在日韓国人に国籍を変え、その事について色々な問題がありました。主人公の性格の形成と恋愛と友人の関係も書いました。

最初を読んだ本は「キノの旅」というラノベでした。面白くて、とても読めやすいなので、日本語学者にとって良い本と思います。時間がないので、他の読んだ本のことに興味があって、僕の読書メータを見てください。
0 x

kujichagulia
Green Belt

Postby kujichagulia » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:08 pm

いいですね!それを教えてくれて、ありがとうございました!
0 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:15 pm

I'm going to post an update later this week. I haven't been able to keep up my updates because I got sick. My study time has been limited because of that as well =/
0 x

kujichagulia
Green Belt

Postby kujichagulia » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:58 pm

Get well soon, and take your time!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”