Nandemonai's log (Mandarin, German, Tadoku)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Nandemonai
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch/Flemish (N), English (fluent), Japanese (fluent)
Actively studying: Mandarin (intermediate), German (beginner)
On break: Korean (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1684

Re: Nandemonai's log (Mandarin, Tadoku)

Postby Nandemonai » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:09 am

ロータス wrote:99% chance they start charging to take the test.

Yeah, they'll make it paid (which I don't mind). The test itself will also be updated and changed, so I wanted to get a feel for how I'd do right now compared to my past scores.

ロータス wrote:Active as in writing out each kanji? Do you plan to do more hand writing soon? Also do you plan to take one of the Chinese test soon (HTK/TOCFL)?

I want to feel more confident in my kanji ability. Sometimes I have to write in Japanese on a whiteboard and I have to fall back to kana more often than I'd like to.

No intention of taking any tests in Chinese. Primary focus is to be able to read in the language.
0 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:59 am

We're almost three months into the year so I felt like it was time for an update.

I've been kinda sick the past week. I managed to maintain my language learning, but it's been a struggle.

Japanese

Making relatively good progress for the amount of time I'm putting in.

My daily routine is the following:
- Learn 1 new 四字熟語
- Learn 5 new words from various sources
- Re-learn 3 new characters from RTK
- Do a couple practice problems for the 基本情報技術者試験

I haven't been reading as consistently lately because I've been busy studying for a national engineering exam here in Japan.
That's been a priority for me over my language studies. The exam is on April 18th and after that I should be able to refocus on languages.
On the other hand, the exam has also been great for my technical vocabulary in Japanese. I'm learning words like 符号化, 多相性, 隔離.
They're words that I do come across sometimes at work but not frequently enough for them to actually stick.

I've also been watching a lot of anime on Netflix these days, but I no longer consider that as study because it has become pure entertainment for me.

This year I've done three JLPT mock exams for the 言語知識・読解 section.
- January 11th: 43/71 (60%)
- February 16th: 45/70 (64%)
- March 15th: 52/71 (73%)

My scores are increasing although I haven't done much yet to address the mistakes I made in these mock exams.

Mandarin

Making good progress, but just like Japanese it's been on the backburner for the past two months.
I've dropped my new sentences/day to five until April 18th to keep my review load managable.
I'm at 738 new sentences this year so far. I'll increase the pace again later next month. Probably to about 20~25 new cards a day.

Reading/listening has been put on hold for now.

Tadoku

A new round has started. I'll be reading in Japanese and English when I feel like it.
0 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:06 am

ロータス wrote:How are you liking that ZH deck? Does it do a good job of teaching you the grammar through input or are you looking it up? Did you buy the Traditional version? Think you talked about playing pokemon in traditional so that's why I ask. Most of the readings I can find online are in simplified so I spend most of my time with that

I got the simplified deck from my brother a long time ago. I remember I generated the traditional readings, but that ended up being a bit buggy. I've had to double check sentences that had the wrong characters generated. I don't remember how I ended up generating the readings though.
0 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:45 pm

Oh wow, just got an email with the news that the 基本情報技術者試験 will be cancelled or post-poned due the corona virus situation. That means I'll be refocusing to mostly languages until further news is available.
0 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:19 pm

ロータス wrote:Grammar?

I'm not spending much time on learning grammar at the moment. I'm starting to notice when something is a grammar pattern, and when needed I look it up. Often times I'll just let the sentences work their magic to ingrain the pattern into long-term memory.
0 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Mon May 25, 2020 1:40 pm

Two months have passed since the last update, felt like it was time for a new one. Language learning has been mostly on the back-burner during May, but I've been able to keep up my learning daily.

I'll be moving next month to a new apartment where I'll be able to have a dedicated room for working/studying. I'll finally have space to put a book shelf or two, something I've always wanted. I should be able to focus better and have more productive study sessions with the new room. So far I've been mostly studying on the couch and a small kitchen counter table, which are killing my back.

Japanese

I've done some reading, mixed fiction and non-fiction. Been keeping up my daily Anki reps of RTK/active recall grammar/四字熟語/Core 10k.

Mandarin

4707/8085 sentences learned from Spoonfed. Still on track to finish the deck this year.
Looking to resume with New Practical Chinese Reading after the move.

Tadoku

In April I spent two weeks giving Tadoku a face-lift. It looks more modern now and it is easier to use on mobile. There are a couple more things to improve. After a couple more minor brush ups on the profile page I'm planning on overhauling the infrastructure that supports the platform. That should keep me busy for a while. The goal of doing so would be to reduce the operational burden for me in the future by creating a more stable platform.
1 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:21 am

Japanese

I've been living life in Japanese while keeping up my reps in Anki. Recently picked up あつまれどうぶつの森, but that hasn't been too useful for learning new words.

RTK active run: 589/2042
Grammar active recall: 195/312
四字熟語: 182/406
Core10k remainders: 1196/3098 (still need to suspend cards that I already know, doing that as I go through the deck)

Haven't really mined any mined words lately. I don't have the energy/motivation to do so with Japanese right now.

I've signed up for the 基本技術者試験 again, hopefully it won't get cancelled this time. I won't have as much time to study for it this time though.

Mandarin

Spoonfed: 5372/8085

Doesn't seem like I'll finish within the year anymore, I've had to lower my daily new cards to keep my reviews manageable. According to my last post I was going to pick up NPCR again, but I never did. Don't think I will right now either.

I've been making sticky notes of words that I have trouble with. I've been sticking them all over my room. I rotate them out quite frequently. It helps to prevent leeches in Anki.

Apart from language learning I've also been busy trying to get back in shape. The lockdowns happening right after the holidays weren't great for me. I've got an exercise bike at home now which has proven to be quite effective for me. About two months remaining until I'm back where I want to be.

Last week I also hit a 1 year streak with Anki. I've never been able to be this consistent with it. Really proud of this one as I have trouble staying consistent with things in life.
2 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:52 am

Japanese

I've been putting the 四字熟語 and grammar deck on hold for now, and only doing reviews for it. My retention for them isn't great and I'll have to rethink my strategy. Instead I'll going through Core10k a bit faster as it requires less mental effort.

The 基本技術者試験 was cancelled again... I'm close to giving up on it ^^'

Mandarin

Spoonfed: 5861/8085

The past month I've mostly done reviews and haven't added many cards. I've just started doing new cards at a pace of 10/day again, and I'll increase that when life gives me room to do so. I've hit a 451 day Anki streak. I still can't believe I've managed to keep this up so long.

Lately I've been thinking that I have to start consuming native content, or I'll never really get anywhere. I know a lot of words and have a good base in grammar, but I'm not able to put that knowledge to use. I was at a similar phase with my Japanese 7 years ago and only got out of that after extensive reading and listening. It might be worth it lowering my Anki load to do a bit of immersion.
5 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:42 am

Japanese

I've been mostly reading for enjoyment. Last month I got really into the 呪術廻戦 anime and picked up the manga where the anime left off at the time. Got caught up with it after a couple days. Last week I did the same with 神達に拾われた男. Finished the anime and ever since then I've been reading it daily. So far have read 500+ pages of it.

I also no longer need to take the 基本技術者試験 now that I've changed jobs. I won't be studying for it anymore.

Mandarin

Spoonfed: 5988/8085

I've just been doing the bare minimum to keep Mandarin alive to be honest. Job hunting took most of my free time.

Tadoku

Made some user experience improvements by showing the start/end times of a round, current tadoku time, and the time remaining until the round starts/ends. I've also changed the schedule of the contest after feedback from several participants on Discord.

Plans for 2021

If there's one thing I've learned in 2020, it's that a lot can happen in a very short time period. Most of my plans for 2020 didn't pan out because of the current state of the world.

I'm only gonna set goals for the next month and evaluate my progress more often. This way I can pivot my strategy much earlier when I notice things are off.

January
Japanese:
- 150 new words core10k
- 300 book pages read
Mandarin:
- 200 new Spoonfed sentences
- Read 花木蘭 graded reader
1 x

Nandemonai
Orange Belt

Postby Nandemonai » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:50 am

Japanese
January goals
- ✅150 new words core10k -> 150 learned
- ✅300 book pages read -> 1470 pages read

I caught up with 神達に拾われた男, so now I've got to wait for new chapters to come out. I've now started catching up with One Piece. I'll keep my goals for February modest so I can focus more on Mandarin.

I read a lot more this month than I originally anticipated. My reading speed has improved so much that I can now read 300 book pages in a single day spread over 7-9 hours. This kinda took away all my time that I was planning on using for Tadoku improvements.

Mandarin
January goals
- ✅200 new Spoonfed sentences -> 200 learned
- ❌Read 花木蘭 graded reader -> Didn't even get started on this one

Spoonfed: 6157/8085

I've been going a bit easy on myself and have been more liberal with the suspend button. Mostly with cards that take me too long to answer. This cuts down on the time I spend doing Anki. I might get to these cards eventually.

I didn't get any reading done in Chinese this month. One of the reasons why is that reading a physical book in Chinese is still very challenging. Because of this I've decided to scan all my graded readers and bundle them in PDFs that I can read on my iPad. I can annotate words directly and have a dictionary on the side for quick lookups. I'll report back on how this went next month.

February goals
Japanese:
- 150 new words core10k

Mandarin:
- 200 new Spoonfed sentences
- Read 100 pages of graded readers
- Study 2 NPCR lessons
3 x

Return to “Language logs”