Xenops' Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Which Language?

Postby Xenops » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:53 am

As much as I am pleased with my progress with Norwegian (understanding simple texts, able to follow a show with TL subtitles, reading real newspapers with Readlang), I admit I wonder if I am learning the right language.

Recently I did a thought experiment, where I considered German instead of a Scandinavian language, and I had to acknowledge, I am really excited about possibly living in a Scandinavian country. So that part’s settled.

What I’m wondering is if I’m learning the right Scandilang. My goals would be:

1. Work towards B2—C1 fluency in said language
2. Get an upper-level education, possibly in a competitive field
3. Get a job there

Initially I picked Norwegian based on two very simple criteria: it is my ancestry, and I have very distant relatives over there; the tuition for college is free. But upon more research, I’m not sure if Norway would be a good fit. Two things I’m thinking of are diversity and access to exotic food markets. It sounds like Norwegian grocery stores don’t have a great variety. I also understand that Sweden and Denmark have more cultural diversity Another thing that occurred to me, is that if education in Norway is free, then the competition could be absolutely fierce, both to get into the program and getting a job. Another thing I’ve wondered is, even though the education is free—wouldn’t it be a wash because the living expenses are higher than Sweden or Denmark? Also, would either of these two be easier to get into as a non-EU resident?

Of course, I have yet to visit any of these countries because of you-know-what, so it could be I’ll actually visit them and not like any of them. It is speculation.

So I’m wondering a few things: should I continue with Norwegian to a high level, and then get exposure to the others? I think there was a Youtube video with Cristin Solfried and Luca (?), where the former argued for learning Norwegian, because it was an intermediate for the other two (and because she’s biased ;) )

I’ve also been poking around HTLAL, and found this thread:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12786&KW=norwegian
10 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Xenops
Brown Belt

Re: Bergenstesten i 2023

Postby Xenops » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:56 am

P.S. I previously mentioned a graduate degree in data science--and learned it has a lot of math. :? I'll have to think about that one.
4 x

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:29 am

Xenops wrote:P.S. I previously mentioned a graduate degree in data science--and learned it has a lot of math. :? I'll have to think about that one.

As someone with one, yes, they can be math heavy.
2 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Which Language?

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:54 pm

Xenops wrote:Two things I’m thinking of are diversity and access to exotic food markets. It sounds like Norwegian grocery stores don’t have a great variety. I also understand that Sweden and Denmark have more cultural diversity.

How exotic does it have to be? Do we (really) have more cultural diversity in Sweden and Denmark? These are two things I've never given a thought.

Hopefully tungemål can give a clear picture.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:49 pm

Why not study Bioinformatics instead of Data Science? It sounds like that's basically what you're already doing at work, and since it is a jack-of-all-trades position it would have a bit less math than a pure Data Science degree, although you would still have a hard time if you don't know your basic hard sciences math (calculus, linear algebra, statistics). I got an online degree in Bioinformatics but unfortunately I wasn't able to find a job in it because I didn't have any Bioinformatics job or internship experience, so I ended up going into IT instead. Since you are already working on NGS at your job, that will not be an issue for you.

I can't imagine that you won't have access to foreign restaurants and markets if you live in a big city like Oslo, where only about 70% of the population are ethnically Norwegian. I think I remember there being plenty of cuisine options when I visited Reykjavík, which is more remote than Oslo. If you're out in the countryside then sure, it might be a bit hard to find kimchi or falafel, but are there really going to be genomics jobs out in the Fjords?
4 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:26 pm

Deinonysus wrote:Why not study Bioinformatics instead of Data Science?

Or a program like https://icahn.mssm.edu/education/phd/bi ... netic-data
Or programs titled computational biology. There is the CBU in Norway ... https://www.cbu.uib.no
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Xenops
Brown Belt

Re: Which degree?

Postby Xenops » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:34 am

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I appreciate it. :D

jeff_lindqvist wrote:How exotic does it have to be? Do we (really) have more cultural diversity in Sweden and Denmark? These are two things I've never given a thought.

Hopefully tungemål can give a clear picture.

My basic research (relying on English sources at this point), indicate that if you want more of a "cultural environment" (exact meaning to be determined), then Sweden and Denmark, because of their larger population and closer ties to mainland Europe, are better than Norway. Whether this is true, I don't know.

I can't imagine that you won't have access to foreign restaurants and markets if you live in a big city like Oslo, where only about 70% of the population are ethnically Norwegian. I think I remember there being plenty of cuisine options when I visited Reykjavík, which is more remote than Oslo. If you're out in the countryside then sure, it might be a bit hard to find kimchi or falafel, but are there really going to be genomics jobs out in the Fjords?

This is comforting to know. Again, based on my ignorance, I don't know what all is available in Scandinavia. My experience has mostly been Idaho, where you can find nothing, and Japan, where you have to look long and hard to find non-Japanese food in a grocery store.

Deinonysus wrote:Why not study Bioinformatics instead of Data Science? It sounds like that's basically what you're already doing at work, and since it is a jack-of-all-trades position it would have a bit less math than a pure Data Science degree, although you would still have a hard time if you don't know your basic hard sciences math (calculus, linear algebra, statistics). I got an online degree in Bioinformatics but unfortunately I wasn't able to find a job in it because I didn't have any Bioinformatics job or internship experience, so I ended up going into IT instead. Since you are already working on NGS at your job, that will not be an issue for you.

zenmonkey wrote:
Or a program like https://icahn.mssm.edu/education/phd/bi ... netic-data
Or programs titled computational biology. There is the CBU in Norway ... https://www.cbu.uib.no

Thank you two for the ideas, I appreciate it. Sadly, I have a short reason: the university's extension school does have a data science degree, but only a bioinformatics certificate. As probably readers have picked up, I like to be cheap economically reasonable when I can.

Now, about my hopes in education: I have been vague about this, and my apologies for doing so. The degree I hope to earn in Scandinavia isn't a computer science degree, but a doctorate related to biology. One reason I have expressed interest in date science/bioinformatics is because, well yes my current job deals with an aspect of next-generation sequencing, and I will be taught to do some basic data processing. Another reason is that I'm seeking skills that are mobile, that can help me support myself financially (digital nomad + student?). If I were to compare programming/CS skills to languages, then coding would be a "language" I have many reasons to use and am itching to learn, almost as much as Norwegian and Japanese. I would like to be more skilled in HTML/CSS/Javescript so I can be as creative with websites as I am with traditional art; I would like to be skilled in Python so I can get Gradint working, etc....But wouldn't it be cool to do computer science related to biology? That's wild!

But yes, math. :? I did, several years ago, manage to pass my calculus class--but I don't use calculus in daily life, so I lost it. It could be that with my improved learning skills I could do so much better this time around, but it's a commitment that I have to consider.
7 x

Xenops
Brown Belt

Re: Taking a Break

Postby Xenops » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:13 pm

I'm thinking I need a break from Norwegian, and possibly all Germanic languages, for a bit. I need to clear my anxious brain and reconsider what I really want, and to discern God's will for me. So I will focus more on Japanese and projects related to comics (including my constructed language).

There are also other things going on: I'm moving to a place a tiny bit closer to work. Tiny bit. ;) The rent is cheaper, the bedroom is even larger than my current one, and the housemates seem fun. So I'm packing as well. Also applying to housing that allows me to walk to work, but that spot won't open until the summer at the earliest.

Also trying to decide about coding, and possibly graduate degrees. Another option besides data analysis would be to have a graduate degree in biology and add the bioinformatics certificate through the extension school. I'm still hung on that, because as a university employee, each course is 40$ dollars. ;) I don't know if the degree would be recognized overseas, but it should help getting into an American company? And I will start learning on-the-job data analysis this coming week.
15 x

Xenops
Brown Belt

Re: News

Postby Xenops » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:44 am

God natt alle,

I’ve been popping in-and-out with the site outages, but I’m still alive. :D

For news, I decided to stick to Norwegian for now, rather than another Scandilang. I figured I made progress with this one language for over two years, further progress must be feasible? And Norway opened to visitors! I thought it would be the last European country to open, but I guess not. Here’s to hoping they will be open for December, when I will tentatively visit. Depending on restrictions, I might visit other Nordic countries as well, we’ll see.

I found a cheaper copy of Mysteriet om Nils on Ebay, so I will expect that soon. I’m almost done with all of the vocab from book 1 on Memrise—granted, I have not been very consistent these last few months. I lost my Duolingo streak when I moved in mid February, and it was just as well—I need a break. The move is also a nice change as far as commute: the subway station is now a ten-minute walk away, then I ride the subway for a bit, and then change to catch the university shuttle. Now I use Pimsleur when I walk.

I watched Wallander with Krister Henriksson on Prime, and I surprised how much vocabulary I got with my knowledge of Norwegian. Previously my strategy has been to focus only on norsk shows, but watching this one made me realize that Swedish shows would be worthwhile for training as well—which is good, since there seem to be more available Swedish shows available to US viewers. As for the story itself---Oof. The last episode shook me to my core. I also found the interactions between the father and daughter delightful. I am very saddened that Johanna Sallstrom is no longer with us.

Japanese has not been happening lately, that is because…Korean! But it is difficult how to describe this transition on a public forum. If you wish to know details, send me a PM, but in brief, to my understanding, God has been haunting me about Korean for a while, and I kept saying “Nah I’m good—Japanese is hard enough, thanks.” Interestingly, my fascination in Japanese has declined, and I’m finding Korean really interesting. Of course, I find myself comparing it to Japanese, and I need to reign that habit.

I’m still in the research stage of materials for Korean. Even though Korean from Zero! And[url]Go! Billy[/url] have nice online resources, I just really need a physical book. I have the first volume of TTMIK, and like the podcast, it’s pretty light and fluffy. I haven’t opened the workbook, because honestly, the workbooks win for having the ugliest comic characters I have ever seen. They look remarkably similar to the blob monsters Guts from Berserk fights. I will probably return it. I do have the TTMIK Hangul book, which I like and am using. I expect the Ewha textbook in the mail soon.

For a win, I have been doing a little Pimsleur Korean, and I surprised the Korean speakers at church. I said “Hello”, which surprised no one. Then I said, “I come from America”, and one Korean speaker gave a physical display of surprise and shock. I wished I filmed it.

Regarding graduate school...I’m thinking I might really just need to do the biology one. My grades from my first bachelor’s are blegh, and I heard from two different people that in Europe, the expectation is that people do the equivalent of a master’s. In contrast, in the US, it’s not uncommon to go straight from bachelor’s to PhD. I can also do bioinformatics courses as part of the degree. I’m currently in the grieving process of losing future spare time.

That reminds me, via the university’s language-exchange program, I got in contact with a PhD candidate that is moving to Norway! He will work at a startup. I will meet him for lunch next week.

For other news, I started drawing comics again...But I haven’t posted it on my website yet. I need to fix that. In the meantime, it is on my deviantart account: https://www.deviantart.com/hestia-edwards/art/Broken-Arm-Page-1-907973636
9 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: News

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:25 am

Xenops wrote:I watched Wallander with Krister Henriksson on Prime, and I surprised how much vocabulary I got with my knowledge of Norwegian. Previously my strategy has been to focus only on norsk shows, but watching this one made me realize that Swedish shows would be worthwhile for training as well—which is good, since there seem to be more available Swedish shows available to US viewers. As for the story itself---Oof. The last episode shook me to my core. I also found the interactions between the father and daughter delightful. I am very saddened that Johanna Sallstrom is no longer with us.

Yeah, vocabulary-wise you can get a lot out of reading/watching content in the neighbour languages. And Norwegian/Swedish is a powerful combo. If your command of Norwegian is good, you'll grasp a great deal of any Swedish thrown at you.

(By the way, which Wallander episode was it? I've watched some of them, and I remember a very dark one - Hemligheten.)
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language logs”