Xenops' Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: News

Postby Xenops » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:05 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
(By the way, which Wallander episode was it? I've watched some of them, and I remember a very dark one - Hemligheten.)

That's the one. I watched the previous episodes sequentially, and the overall arc storyline finishes with this episode. Mastermind is also very intense, but more in a suspense fashion.
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Re: Bergenstesten i 2023

Postby tractor » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:12 am

Deinonysus wrote:I can't imagine that you won't have access to foreign restaurants and markets if you live in a big city like Oslo, where only about 70% of the population are ethnically Norwegian. I think I remember there being plenty of cuisine options when I visited Reykjavík, which is more remote than Oslo. If you're out in the countryside then sure, it might be a bit hard to find kimchi or falafel, but are there really going to be genomics jobs out in the Fjords?

There are plenty of restaurants in Oslo, many of them excellent.
2 x

Xenops
Brown Belt

Re: Bergenstesten i 2022 eller 2023

Postby Xenops » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:37 pm

The big news is: I am tentatively planning to visit Scandinavia this year. :D I posted my questions on Scandinavian Travel Plans, but there are probably more things I should know about (or would be advantageous if I knew them). I have found Nomadic Matt's Blog useful for tips on traveling on a budget.

My main debate is whether to go in mid-August, or to go around Christmas time, as my job of employment gives us 10 days off for Christmas break.

Despite these possible plans, my enthusiasm for Norwegian isn't as high as I would like. I am getting curious about Swedish, so maybe I'll take a gander at the FSI course? Part of the reason for the trip would be to solidify in my brain which country I would most like to aim for. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, but I feel like I can't decide anything until I visit.

Korean studying has been more consistent. Talk to Me in Korean recently released a book on pronunciation, and I'm also using their Hangul book. I've been researching traditional Korean textbooks, and I'm look for the Korean equivalent of Genki...And I'm not finding it. The Ewha books are probably the most beautiful language textbooks I've every seen, but can I use them as an A0? I also borrowed a copy of Korean from Zero, and despite the mixed reviews on Amazon, it looks like my best shot? Though I admit that since I watched a video of George Trombley boasting of how he cheated in high school by writing notes in Japanese, I'm not his biggest fan. But I might have to use the book anyway.
4 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Re: Bergenstesten i 2022 eller 2023

Postby gsbod » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:40 pm

Xenops wrote:The Ewha books are probably the most beautiful language textbooks I've every seen, but can I use them as an A0?

I think so, as long as you make sure to buy the English language study guide that accompanies it. (This one). They are beautiful textbooks, I just wish I needed Korean more so I could justify spending time on them!
1 x

Xenops
Brown Belt

I'm Going!

Postby Xenops » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:31 am

Good news: I booked my flight to Scandinavia! :D It's a direct flight to and from Copenhagen. I picked the August timeframe.

Now's the time to plan! :shock: :lol:
16 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: I'm Going!

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:19 pm

Xenops wrote:Good news: I booked my flight to Scandinavia! :D It's a direct flight to and from Copenhagen.

Will you stay in Denmark or visit some of the other countries as well?
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Xenops
Brown Belt

Re: I'm Going!

Postby Xenops » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:29 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Xenops wrote:Good news: I booked my flight to Scandinavia! :D It's a direct flight to and from Copenhagen.

Will you stay in Denmark or visit some of the other countries as well?

I will venture into Sweden and Norway as well. I’ll probably focus on these three, unless I have a burning urge to visit Finland or Germany.

Speaking of which, if someone is willing to meet me in person, send me a PM! :D
9 x

Xenops
Brown Belt

Summer Plans

Postby Xenops » Sun May 22, 2022 7:23 pm

I have mostly dabbled in languages lately. :? I have reasons for this:

1. I'm doing a panel for Anime Boston! :D It is is the last weekend of May. I'm sharing my comic-making process, both the traditional methods and getting the page digitized. So I've done some preparation for that--and I need to update my website proper.

2. After years of being thrifty, it finally made sense to upgrade my cell phone plan to Unlimited Data, and I have spent far too much time on Pokemon Go. :lol: Though thankfully, I am finally getting burnt out, and can return to real life. My personal problem with life in general is the feeling that I can't enjoy certain things without money, and I am transposing my dissatisfaction into the game as well (I can't upgrade Pokemon skills without the "stardust" currency, and I can't win battles without upgrading, and I have to work hard to get stardust, etc.) I have played the game about 1/3 of the time in French, and most of the time I could get the gist.

3. And of course, planning for the Scandinavian trip. 12 days seems like a long time...Except for vacations. :lol: As such, I realize that I can only visit a few cities. Copenhagen and Oslo for sure, and I'm debating between Stockholm and Southern Sweden, though leaning towards the former. Skåne makes more sense, because it have more universities that I'm interested in; but I honestly feel I would really regret not visiting Stockholm.

4. Just got the official word that our landlord is moving into our current location, and we have to figure out new living quarters. :cry: I heard rumors about this, but I assumed "no news is good news". So I have to find a new place for September. Blegh.

Regarding languages...I wonder if the interest in Korean is another "thought experiment". I seem to have a lot of those. If I may write of faith things, I feel that God often asks me "would you be willing to give up/ do something else if I asked you?" I felt doing Korean instead of Japanese was such a thing, and I was willing do so. But as many have discovered, Korean is hard. ;) Since I have studied Japanese off/on for so long, I forgot what it's like to tackle a Category 4 language. I could, theoretically, do a bit of Korean each day and make slow progress--but I can't on my own strength, not with a full-time job and other commitments. It just feels exhausting. If anything, this diversion makes me appreciate Japanese all the more. So I'm praying about God's will in this regard.

Started Pimsleur Swedish, and am recognizing the cadence from the Wallander actors.

So that's what I got.
16 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Summer Plans

Postby Cavesa » Mon May 23, 2022 3:56 pm

Xenops wrote:1. I'm doing a panel for Anime Boston! :D It is is the last weekend of May. I'm sharing my comic-making process, both the traditional methods and getting the page digitized. So I've done some preparation for that--and I need to update my website proper.

Wow! That's a damn good reason! Sounds fascinating. What are your comics usually about?

2. After years of being thrifty, it finally made sense to upgrade my cell phone plan to Unlimited Data, and I have spent far too much time on Pokemon Go. :lol: Though thankfully, I am finally getting burnt out, and can return to real life.

Yep. Burning out of games is good! I know far too well :-D

And I got unlimited data too, finally! Now I need to keep myself away from games :-D

3. And of course, planning for the Scandinavian trip. 12 days seems like a long time...Except for vacations. :lol: As such, I realize that I can only visit a few cities. Copenhagen and Oslo for sure, and I'm debating between Stockholm and Southern Sweden, though leaning towards the former. Skåne makes more sense, because it have more universities that I'm interested in; but I honestly feel I would really regret not visiting Stockholm.

All the options sound amazing. Don't let the fear of missing out on something ruin it for you. After all, it's very probably not your last journey to Scandinavia. Sometimes, less is more.

Regarding languages...I wonder if the interest in Korean is another "thought experiment". I seem to have a lot of those. If I may write of faith things, I feel that God often asks me "would you be willing to give up/ do something else if I asked you?" I felt doing Korean instead of Japanese was such a thing, and I was willing do so. But as many have discovered, Korean is hard. ;) Since I have studied Japanese off/on for so long, I forgot what it's like to tackle a Category 4 language. I could, theoretically, do a bit of Korean each day and make slow progress--but I can't on my own strength, not with a full-time job and other commitments. It just feels exhausting. If anything, this diversion makes me appreciate Japanese all the more. So I'm praying about God's will in this regard.

I think I have heard the same question from Him recently. And when I sort of accepted (genuinely, not just lying to myself) and prepared for other options, I got the miracle of my current job!

Korean or Japanese, both are great choices that may have unexpected uses later. Don't be too hard on yourself, you are doing so much!!!

Started Pimsleur Swedish, and am recognizing the cadence from the Wallander actors.

I wonder, do you like Pimsleur Swedish? Frankly, it was the one that drove me off Pimsleur completely. It was during my brief interest in Swedish years ago. And I really hated the conversations :-D :-D :-D Was I wrong and just biased? I have no doubts it must have objective qualities, as it is so well liked.
4 x

Xenops
Brown Belt

Re: Summer Plans

Postby Xenops » Tue May 24, 2022 11:09 am

Thanks for stopping by, Cavesa. :D

Cavesa wrote:
Xenops wrote:1. I'm doing a panel for Anime Boston! :D It is is the last weekend of May. I'm sharing my comic-making process, both the traditional methods and getting the page digitized. So I've done some preparation for that--and I need to update my website proper.

Wow! That's a damn good reason! Sounds fascinating. What are your comics usually about?

They are set in late 1800's America, and are part historical, fantasy, and medical. The first one is about 150 pages long, and it was my first comic, so the art is a bit rough, but I'm pretty pleased with how the story turned out. The second one is going to be much shorter and I am currently drawing it. Both are now posted on the website in my signature.

All the options sound amazing. Don't let the fear of missing out on something ruin it for you. After all, it's very probably not your last journey to Scandinavia. Sometimes, less is more.

I admit the tourist in me is currently stronger than the practical. ;) :lol:

I think I have heard the same question from Him recently. And when I sort of accepted (genuinely, not just lying to myself) and prepared for other options, I got the miracle of my current job!

Korean or Japanese, both are great choices that may have unexpected uses later. Don't be too hard on yourself, you are doing so much!!!

Thank you for sharing, that is encouraging. I admit that I find Japan's sense of art and beauty super appealing, and I love how seriously they take story-telling...Sometimes. Some anime are just amazing, and some are lackluster. :lol:

I wonder, do you like Pimsleur Swedish? Frankly, it was the one that drove me off Pimsleur completely. It was during my brief interest in Swedish years ago. And I really hated the conversations :-D :-D :-D Was I wrong and just biased? I have no doubts it must have objective qualities, as it is so well liked.

I'm afraid to tell you...I think this is one of the better ones. ;) I say "better" meaning the voice actors are pleasant to listen to. I find Pimsleur to be really good at producing automacity in an exchange format. I tend to sample languages using either Duolingo or Pimsleur, and so I have tried various languages. My favorites so far are the German, Farsi and Italian, but I have made the most progress in Japanese and French. it was because of Pimsleur that I briefly dated and am still friends with a Japanese dude--I introduced myself in proper Japanese, and he was pleasantly surprised.
5 x

Return to “Language logs”