amarina's log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
amarina
White Belt
Languages: Russian (N) English (F) German (B1) French (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 03#p187703

Re: amarina's log

Postby amarina » Sat May 08, 2021 7:06 pm

So having accumulated a lot of leeches on anki, I decided to start changing decks to help me remember words

Now I go on reverso, choose sentences that give the most hints about the meaning of the leech-words, and add them to the cards, with a translation on the other side, if needed
2 x
Output Challenge 2021
: 582 / 15000 ~ write 15 000 words in German;
: 0 / 300 ~ record 300 minutes of audio in German;
: 0 / 5000 ~ write 5 000 words in French;

amarina
White Belt

Postby amarina » Sat May 08, 2021 7:43 pm

golyplot wrote:I'm not sure what your goals are with German, but personally I wouldn't worry so much about the preposition verbs. I'd recommend less drilling and more immersion (i.e. watching German TV or the like). If they come up, you'll understand them from context, and if they don't, what's the problem?

That would word if I was in the mood for exposure. Right now I have a lot of studying to do, and Anki + Duolingo is more different from what I have to do for my studies than ~ exposure ~. I'm primarily working on increasing my vocabulary to the point where I can improve by extensive exposure
1 x
Output Challenge 2021

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat May 08, 2021 10:44 pm

In your signature you need to add a space after the = and before the ] this is why the bars are not showing correctly.

I found that for cards that were leeches for me, it was easier just to put the question and the answer on both sides of the card. So although I didn't have to remember the answer because it was there right at the bottom of the question eventually I remembered it because I saw it all the time. Also, I answered that I didn't remember, so I would see it the next day. Being a leech card wasn't so frustrating then and after a couple of weeks I would take the answer off the question card and start testing myself again.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

amarina
White Belt

Postby amarina » Sun May 09, 2021 7:57 pm

rdearman wrote:In your signature you need to add a space after the = and before the ] this is why the bars are not showing correctly.

Ouch, this is embarrassing :D I didn't realise it didn't work. But at least now nobody can see it :lol:
rdearman wrote:I found that for cards that were leeches for me, it was easier just to put the question and the answer on both sides of the card. So although I didn't have to remember the answer because it was there right at the bottom of the question eventually I remembered it because I saw it all the time. Also, I answered that I didn't remember, so I would see it the next day. Being a leech card wasn't so frustrating then and after a couple of weeks I would take the answer off the question card and start testing myself again.

Good idea! I have 300-400 words due for review every day, which is a bit frustrating. I somewhat regret downloading like 30 decks and setting the studying goal of 5 cards from each. They piled up reeeeeally quickly.
1 x
Output Challenge 2021

Return to “Language logs”