Learning laguages like the universal translator

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Bilingual_monoglot
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (n) Tamil (n-heritage) French Esperanto (can talk about language policy/lepak, and nothing else) Hindi (bumbling tourist) Malay (basic conversations) Chinese (introductions and ordering food)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16715

Re: Learning laguages like the universal translator

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:10 am

Selamat Ramadan to any muslim readers (I forgot that Ramadan started yesterday... oops) and புத்தாண்டு வாழ்த்துக்கள் to my fellow Tamil speakers.

Today, I spent basically all morning and part of the afternoon working on my Chinese, immersing in content and working through Assimil. After I post this, I'm going to begin working on my Malay (hopefully).

Luckily, budget 2021 just recently came up, so the at least the introductory videos and documents, if not the actual parliamentary debates, are in all the official languages. I'm planing to take advantage of this by looking through the Malay language materials, and place any unknown words into my anki deck.

Since today is the Tamil New Year, I've been thinking about my Tamil, how I'm going to maintain it, even if I'm not going to actively work on it at the moment. Unfortunately, although Tamil is nominally an official language, the language environment is primarily in English. So, I have to treat this mainly as a foreign language, so I'm primarily going to read articles from BBC Tamil.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”