Delirium16's Deutsch Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Delirium16
Languages: Spanish (N), English (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16629

Delirium16's Deutsch Log

Postby Delirium16 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:27 am

Hi everyone, I decided to start learning German nine days ago, I like to read your logs, so I thought it would be nice to have one.

Resources

Assimil German with Ease (2014) 9/100
Linguaphone Deutscher Kursus (1990) 0/30
Nicos Weg A1 0.5/19

I will try to update once every 1-2 weeks
4 x

Delirium16

Re: Delirium16's Deutsch Log

Postby Delirium16 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:12 am

15/03/2021

Assimil German with Ease (2014) 16/100
Linguaphone Deutscher Kursus (1990) 1/30
Nicos Weg A1 2.75/19

New Resources

Yabla
LWT

I already started to use Yabla through this week, I even made transcriptions of some episodes of "Felix und Franzi" with their "Scribe" game but I'll try to find more interesting content.

I plan to spend more time studying Nicos Weg because is starting to be too basic compared to Assimil.

Total Study Time = 10:03 hrs
3 x

Delirium16

Postby Delirium16 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:27 am

These last weeks have been going well, I have been doing one Assimil lesson per day, also now I’m doing Anki, when I started, I simply downloaded a pre-made deck (this one), which is basically the Goethe Institute A1 wordlist, it's a good deck, but not what I want, since my purpose at this moment is not to pass a test, so I'm creating a new one with sentence mining. Besides Assimil and Anki, I read on LingQ and sometimes I watch Yabla and Easy German videos, I did some Nicos Weg lessons, but it's very slow and although it's a very good resource, probably I'm not going to continue it, at least for now, Linguaphone will have to wait too. Finally, I am very satisfied with my progress in only 52 days and in the next weeks I'll try to increase my immersion.

Assimil German with Ease 52/100

Total = 49:06 hrs
4 x

Delirium16

Postby Delirium16 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:03 am

So, I have changed my approach a little bit since my last update.

I completed the entire Assimil course, without the active phase and writing exercises, although the first part was quite entertaining, can not say the same for the last lessons, which were incredibly boring, and because of my lack of enjoyment my "study" time dropped off (never enough to skip a day anyways) the course is a good introduction to the language, not too hard, not too easy, wouldn't recommend it if you are already doing immersion.

At the same time, I decided to start watching 'Dark' and making the process funnier, the show has inaccurate subtitles sometimes (without altering the meaning) I don't know what to say about the difficulty, I was very eager to watch it so, at first, I was just focusing on the things that I could understand and sentences with just one unknown word, doing a respective targeted sentence card on Anki with a script for mpv (mpvacious, both free and open source by the way) then I just add definitions manually after creating them.

About the definitions, my main goal is to start using monolingual dictionaries, I always look up the definitions on GoldenDict first and try to read the monolingual definition, at this moment it's still hard to understand them though, so most of my cards have an English translation. About my monolingual dictionaries, I'm using Duden and Langenscheidt Vokabeln Audio as my main sources.

Talking about Anki, I finished the A1 deck a long time ago (I didn't have time to create my cards, so I ended up using it), every card has an example sentence using only words from the deck, so basically at the end you should be able to understand every sentence, this is beneficial for your retention rate since you are just focusing in one word, however, all the deck has a vile robotic voice, I should point out that I suspended all the 'active' cards (English to German) because at this moment I just want to be able to recognize words. Probably this is one of the best-premade decks for a complete beginner, obviously without relying on it and getting input from the beginning, after that, just create your own one.

Currently grinding some sentence cards from the shows that I'm watching: 'Clannad' 'Bloom Into You' and 'Dark', the first two are dubbed, so the audio is clearer, I would say that I can understand most of the ideas in the second one (with subtitles), and it's becoming easier to get n+1 sentences.

About my last log, I don't need courses anymore, so Linguaphone is discarded. I'm no longer using Yabla too, boring and limited content, proprietary.

I am doing ten cards per day from my immersion, and also using the B1 deck because now I have more time, for the latter, I edited the style of the card because the sentences were at the back, and like the A1, suspended the 'active' cards. I'll watch more shows without subtitles to improve my listening.

I'm going to introduce myself and my method in the next log (don't know when).

Active Time: 157:01
Passive listening: 20:12
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Delirium16

Postby Delirium16 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:04 pm

Introduction

I haven't been very active since the beginning of my log, firstly, due to a hectic schedule for the past months, and also, because my lack of practice at writing in English makes it quite uncomfortable and takes a lot of time, but now I'll try to make a brief introduction.

I'm from Mexico. My interest in languages began when I was 11-12, particularly in English, after discovering Duolingo. I didn't have any particular reason to do so, just thought it was something I wanted to do and I already had some exposure to English content, music, and some games before I decided to consciously learn it.

I found Duolingo a pretty fun game, although it wasn't particularly fruitful. Then I started to have mandatory English classes at school and, although my level was mediocre, was enough to stand out among my peers, since it's unusual to find people with at least an intermediate level here.

Now I'm sixteen, will turn seventeen in two weeks, and since the beginning of the past year, I've had an enormous amount of progress because now I spend more time on my PC, and I prefer to consume English content most of the time.

In November 2020 I decided to start learning French and studied intensively for three months, reaching a good level for that amount of time, but I had no passion for the language and I haven't been learning it since then. During that time, I started reading pages and watching videos on language acquisition. I had no idea where to find good methods at the beginning so I was just browsing some normie content on Youtube. "[Ethnic] [Guy, Girl] Shocks [Group of People] with Perfect [Language]". Then I found some more useful channels, like Alexander Arguelles, and started applying some of their advice/methods.

In February I had a lot of interest in other two languages: German and Russian, and then I created this log. However, I wasn't very convinced with the methods of those polyglots, since they never acquired a truly high level in their languages, so researching a bit more I found other pages whose ideas I have been applying these last months, AJATT/Khatzumoto, Antimoon, Tatsumoto, and Refold.

I have been learning Russian too, I know that is more inefficient than learning only one language, but I like both and I'm very eager to learn them. My goals could change in the future, but I would like to learn English, German and Russian, and maybe Mandarin someday, if possible. I haven't think too much about getting a certificate, because I don't truly care about what they think, although everybody says that knowing English is a great advantage for employment opportunities, most of those who get a better job because of it can't formulate basic sentences, so I shouldn't worry about that, I would aim for a B2-C1 certificate if I do it in some years, more than three probably.

At least for now, I haven't been thinking too much about communication/production of the language, since I'll not travel at least in some years and I don't like to talk with most teenagers on language exchange apps. At this moment my strongest motivators are literature and philosophy.

Besides that, I'll continue to try to improve my writing, feel free to give advice about it or corrections.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”