Benson's Japanese Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
giraffemindset
Languages: Cantonese, Japanese

Benson's Japanese Log

Postby giraffemindset » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:48 am

- I started fi3m challenge on 2021-02-08 (Monday); today is hence Day 24

- iTalki wise: Teacher X - I had one lesson; Teache Y - I had one lesson; Teacher Z - I had three lessons

- I have been mostly trying a "Spiritual" approach,

- there are three Japanese churches in London, I contacted all three by e-amail; only SLJC responded to me; I have attended like 1 introduction session and 1 Sunday worship and 2 prayer groups so far.

- I also attempted to join a Hindu group in Japan but my request wasn't accepted unfortunately.

- Resource-wise: I have been studying the Bible through YouVersion & Bible.com & the like; I also spent like 8 hours studying the Bhagavad Gita through Iskcon Japan on YouTube; I spent like 30 minutes studying the Koran in Japanese but that didn't go very far; I spent like 2 hours studying Buddhism/Dalai-Lama/Thich-Nhat-Hanh in Japanese; I have listened to Marie Kondo in Japanese for like 3 hours (I get a cleaner kitchen and bedroom as a bonus; yay)

- Vocabulary-wise: I can say Exodus and Abyss (cf. Genesis) and worship and 10-commandments and the like; I'm not sure about real world usefulness but definitely intellectually stimulating; similarly, I'm accumulating very domain-specific vocab regarding Marie-Kondo/
Vaishnavism/etc

- Grammar-wise: I can indeed benefit from brushing up the basics regarding NI vs DE, honorifics, transitive/intransitive forms etc

- Pronunication-wise: I suppose I can improve my level of "voicedness" and "roundedness", but I don't currently perceive much ROI

- CEFR-wise: I don't think I can pass B2 with confidence, but I'm somewhat functional/conversational I suppose ^^

- NVC-wise: My original goal was the ability to teach and participate and NVC (Nonviolent Communication) workshops, I did spend like 6 hours on this, but my focus has sadly strayed a little bit

- Anki-wise: I haven't touche any flashcard apps at all for months, they just simply aren't fun ☹ I wonder how I can gamify the experience

Until next time ☺
3 x

giraffemindset
Languages: Cantonese, Japanese

Re: Benson's Japanese Log

Postby giraffemindset » Thu May 06, 2021 10:26 am

Here is an update on my Japanese learning

❶ Grammar: Using "500 Essential Japanese Expressions: A Guide to Correct Usage of Key Sentence Patterns". 
❷ Vocabulary: I learn through the Bible, SKY2017; I organise my vocabulary items in Google Sheets; I study and learn using Flashcard Deluxe and Quizlet. 
❸ Listening: I participate in plenty of prayer group sessions and Bible Studies on Zoom; It is way above my level and my comprehension is like 20 to 60% depending on the day and topic; but as a Universalist, I am fascinated by wisdom literature and my interest can be sustained. I also listen to plenty of Marie Kondo on her new-ish Japanese YouTube channel. 
❹ Writing: I practise mostly via e-mail correspondence with a pastor and in chat during Zoom sessions. 
❺ iTalki: I read NHK Easy Japanese news and discuss Stoicism with my tutor. Philosophy is way above my level, but it's fascinating to me. 
❻ Reading: I aim to read/listen to a chapter of the Bible a day; NHK Easy Japanese news. 
A. What still puzzles me?: How to maintain my language learning habit.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”