Road to B1 in Dutch

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Road to B1 in Dutch

Postby Ug_Caveman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:57 am

After the turbulent times of the last year, my language learning has been up and down. At some points during the national lockdown in my country I was able to get through significant amounts of language learning, and at others I stagnated significantly.

I want to change that, and feel keeping a log might help.

I've not quite worked out a set program yet, although I've set one "goal", that even if I only do one 5 minute segment of Michel Thomas for a language a day, that's acceptable so long as I keep a chain going. Dutch is the language that takes precedent in my studies. I'd like to take my rusty A1 in Dutch to an A2 by May (hoping I can pass the CNaVT Informeel in the process) and take my A0 in Swedish to an A1 by the end of the year.

Materials for Dutch:
Michel Thomas Foundation and Advanced
Assimil Dutch (I've already completed this but feel like I need to refresh myself on the second half of the book)
Colloquial Dutch 1 and 2 (was about halfway through book 1 before my studies dropped off as I was able to start work again)

Materials for Swedish:
Michel Thomas Foundation Swedish
Colloquial Swedish? - I like the Colloquial Dutch course, but have seen a lot of mixed reviews regarding their Swedish course, don't suppose anyone here has used both and can offer a comparison?
I own a copy of Linguaphone Swedish, but don't feel like I'm ready yet linguistically, and couldn't justify spending too much time on it at present.
Last edited by Ug_Caveman on Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Re: Dutch and Swedish log

Postby Ug_Caveman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:58 am

13/01/2021:

Complete the first five tracks of Michel Thomas Dutch. Didn't have time to complete anything else today and still need to work out a decent plan for using multiple materials.
1 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:42 am

Ug_Caveman wrote:Materials for Swedish:
Michel Thomas Foundation Swedish
Colloquial Swedish? - I like the Colloquial Dutch course, but have seen a lot of mixed reviews regarding their Swedish course, don't suppose anyone here has used both and can offer a comparison?

What exactly has been said if it? I have done all of the first volume for Dutch recently, and thought it was a pretty good text. I haven't done the Swedish one on front to back, but have done parts of it in the past and didn't find anything about it objectionable. However, I was using it as someone who already knows a bit of Swedish, and I didn't use the audio. There are volumes of that series that I don't like very much, like the Japanese one, but the Swedish volume seemed fine to me from my limited experience with it.
2 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:02 am

Cèid Donn wrote:What exactly has been said if it? I have done all of the first volume for Dutch recently, and thought it was a pretty good text. I haven't done the Swedish one on front to back, but have done parts of it in the past and didn't find anything about it objectionable. However, I was using it as someone who already knows a bit of Swedish, and I didn't use the audio. There are volumes of that series that I don't like very much, like the Japanese one, but the Swedish volume seemed fine to me from my limited experience with it.

I’ve seen some comments comparing it unfavourably to the Colloquial courses for Danish and Norwegian (I have never used these, but nonetheless it piqued my interest).

My experience with the Dutch course has been very positive though, so I was just curious how some who has used both would compare them :D
1 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:03 am

14/01/2021

Read two short stories in “First Dutch Reader” - didn’t need the English translation for either
1 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:21 pm

Over the last seven days I've read one story each night in the First Dutch bilingual reader (things have been much busier than I expected recently, but I should be able to start something a bit more... Serious :P soon)

Decided I won't bring any Swedish in until I'm a bit more grounded in my Dutch routine. Given my plan is to only reach A1 in Swedish by the end of the year, that doesn't concern me for now.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:02 am

You used Colloquial Dutch and you didn't use the audio. I am disappointed, for you have missed my glorious voice.
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:35 am

tarvos wrote:You used Colloquial Dutch and you didn't use the audio. I am disappointed, for you have missed my glorious voice.

(Not sure if this is a forum in-joke...)

Oh, I did use the audio! As a matter of fact the audio for Colloquial Dutch was one of the major reasons I chose to use it over TY or Hugo, as I know it's spoken pretty much at native speed from the outset. I just sort of fell off the wagon a bit with my studies in general towards the end of summer/early autumn last year and need to get back on it.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:12 am

It's not an in-joke. I literally did some of the recordings ;)
9 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:21 am

24/01/2020:

Working on a short time allowance today, but got started with some more robust programs:
Michel Thomas Foundation CD-1, tracks 1-3
0 x

Return to “Language logs”