Road to B1 in Dutch

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Re: Road to B1 in Dutch

Postby Ug_Caveman » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:13 pm

Forgot to log last night - lesson 19 went OK although they're starting to use more colloquial pronunciation (IE: hij --> ie and haar --> d'r) so I've had to focus more.

That, plus 90 vocab items was a bit draining, but got through it unscathed.
4 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:05 am

I've not updated my log for two weeks as my motivation to do anything hit rock bottom.

Not long after my hand being X-rayed, my strong-side shoulder suddenly began to ache and after a visit to the doctors I found out the AC ligament had been damaged. The good news being that this wasn't major damage so won't require surgical repair, but the bad news being that this is a ligament with poor bloody supply and thus a long healing time (but lots of nerves to make sure I feel the aching.)

As quite an active person this hit me like a sledgehammer and I had to cut all physical activity for a week before slowly beginning to rehab at the beginning of last week - which has been demoralising to say the least.

I've watched a few more episodes of Red Light in this time period, but spent most of that time being annoyed at translations in the subtitles not being word-for-word.

I finally got back to Linguaphone today, completing supplementary lesson 7 (which follows presenting your credentials if you were to apply for a job.)
6 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:32 pm

Completed supplementary lesson 8 last night and watched another episode of Red Light.

Every now and again I pick things up in speech without having to overly rely on the subtitles but would still prefer that the English and Dutch matched a bit better.
2 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:19 pm

Ug_Caveman wrote:I've watched a few more episodes of Red Light in this time period, but spent most of that time being annoyed at translations in the subtitles not being word-for-word.
I'm watching that one too! I like the way the Belgian programmes mix Dutch, French and English.

Channel 4's website mention that 13 Commandments is going to disappear soon, so if you've not yet watched that one, now's the time :-)
0 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:10 am

I've been struggling to get the motivation back for pretty much anything recently but completed Supplementary Lesson 9 tonight.

Back to the main course tomorrow.

Finished watching Red Light - would have said my general understanding was between 15-25% at best but I really did try to not look at subtitles.
4 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:12 pm

Back to the regular course last night, completed lesson 21 - a forgivingly simple one compared to its immediate predecessor.
2 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:45 pm

Completed lesson 22 - made a few errors in the exercises which surprised me... Until I realised I'd missed some of the explanations on what they wanted from the exercises in the handbook.

I think lesson 23 must mark the halfway point of the course? In theory I could do a lesson a day for a month and finish before New Year, but I'm not sure I can manage it.

Goal would be moving onto Hugo Advanced in January and completing it around the time CNaVT exam entries are open, before working through Colloquial Dutch 2.
2 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:25 pm

Completed lessons 23 and 24.

I think the next step is supplementary lessons 10 through 12, lesson 25 is revision and then toets 2 to complete part two of the course.

If I finish this course by early January and get a start on Hugo Advanced before the entry deadlines for CNaVT, I'm fairly sure I'll be in a place to take the B1 exam.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:30 pm

Ug_Caveman wrote:Completed lessons 23 and 24.

I forgot which it is now. Is it Linguaphone?
0 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:28 pm

Le Baron wrote:
Ug_Caveman wrote:Completed lessons 23 and 24.

I forgot which it is now. Is it Linguaphone?

Still Linguaphone - a fantastically deep course (despite the dated language/terms)

I've been a medical train wreck for about a month which has killed my progress, otherwise I'd be close to finishing by now...
0 x

Return to “Language logs”