Road to B1 in Dutch

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Re: Road to B1 in Dutch

Postby Ug_Caveman » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:45 pm

Geen studie vannacht - ik heb veel keelpijn :( Spreken is dus ongemakkelijk (in het Engels, laat staan in het Nederlands!)

In plaats van lessen studeren, zal ik een beetje lezen doen voor ik ga slapen.
2 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:24 am

Ik heb er nog 40 pagina's van Hugo af te maken... Het examen is op the 2de mei.

Het aftellen is begonnen!
0 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:21 am

Ik heb over mijn volgende stappen in taal-studeren denken.

Achter mijn B1 examen, zal ik Frans beginnen studeren. "Waarom?!" hoor ik je zeggen?

Ik heb dit keuze besloten als mijn beste vriend spreek Frans bij zijn thuis. Ik zal met zijn familie makkelijker praten, en het is en plus dat ik kan met hem oefenen!

Bovendien, ik heb veel goede boeken om Frans te leren - Hugo (3M, Advanced, Business), Michel Thomas (F, LB, A, VB, I) Assimil (NFWE, UF, BF), Linguaphone (Premiere and Deuxieme) en Living Language: Ultimate (B-I, A).

Mijn doel is B1 in het Frans te bereiken, dit wil ik in juli 2024 doen. Ik zal ook nog steeds Nederlands studeren en ik wil in 2025 B2 bereiken.
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:37 pm

Ug_Caveman wrote:Ik heb nagedacht over mijn volgende stappen in taal-studeren denken.

Achter Na mijn B1 examen, zal ik met Frans beginnen studeren. "Waarom?!" hoor ik je zeggen?

Ik heb dit deze keuze besloten als gemaakt omdat mijn beste vriend thuis Frans spreekt bij zijn thuis. Ik zal dus met zijn familie makkelijker kunnen praten, en het is een plus dat ik kan met hem kan oefenen!

Bovendien, ik heb veel goede boeken om Frans te leren - Hugo (3M, Advanced, Business), Michel Thomas (F, LB, A, VB, I) Assimil (NFWE, UF, BF), Linguaphone (Premiere and Deuxieme) en Living Language: Ultimate (B-I, A).

Mijn doel is B1 in het Frans te bereiken, dit wil ik in juli 2024 doen (proberen). Ik zal ook nog steeds Nederlands blijven studeren (leren) en ik wil in 2025 B2 bereiken.

Mooi dat je met iemand Frans kunt oefenen. Dat gaat enorm helpen. Comme toujours je te souhaite bonne chance !
1 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:35 pm

Le Baron wrote:
Ug_Caveman wrote:een

Arghh, dit blijf ik doen! Wat vervelend :oops:

Le Baron wrote:Comme toujours je te souhaite bonne chance !

Forgive me for awkwardly staring into the distance, my French is sadly nowhere near this good... Yet.

Although there was a rather hilarious situation a few weeks ago where I was with my friend and by chance we bumped into some of his family. Initially they spoke in French and my friend was translating for me, but his relatives switched into English for my benefit... My friend did not notice, and proceeded to translate several sentences from English... Into English, while the rest of us stared at him wondering if he'd lost the plot.
83RI.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:46 pm

Ug_Caveman wrote:Arghh, dit blijf ik doen! Wat vervelend :oops:

You're among compatriots, I did it on a note I left for the neighbour on Sunday!

Ug_Caveman wrote:Although there was a rather hilarious situation a few weeks ago where I was with my friend and by chance we bumped into some of his family. Initially they spoke in French and my friend was translating for me, but his relatives switched into English for my benefit... My friend did not notice, and proceeded to translate several sentences from English... Into English, while the rest of us stared at him wondering if he'd lost the plot.
83RI.gif

:lol: It's interesting though isn't it that the brain process just doesn't notice?
1 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:39 am

So my exam is on Tuesday but I've still got 11 pages to work through in Hugo.

In normal circumstances I think I'd be able to make it, but it's been a very difficult few days at home (and looks like tomorrow will continue the trend.)

Did some listening practice from the actual CNaVT paper earlier and felt OK, I could decode around 80% of what I was hearing pretty well and only missed odd words, but I am worried I won't have enough time in the exam to translate it all to written answers. Reading section seems OK (especially given you're allowed a bilingual dictionary which I did not know when I did my A2 :roll: ...)

I'm very worried about the speaking section though, I tried to come up with answers on the spot for the example questions and still had some fairly long pauses while I searched for words or tried to come up with circumventions. I'm not sure if I had enough detail/vocab at the ready.
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:51 pm

Ug_Caveman wrote:So my exam is on Tuesday...
I'm very worried about the speaking section though, I tried to come up with answers on the spot for the example questions and still had some fairly long pauses while I searched for words or tried to come up with circumventions. I'm not sure if I had enough detail/vocab at the ready.

Try not to be. I've been on both sides of this sort of exam: first when I did my own, and now I see others working up to it when I assist at the Taalschool. What they want from you isn't a detailed answer on a par with what you would give in English, nor is it a Dutch answer to that level. They're looking to see if you've internalised standard response conventions, standard sentence structure for starting arguments, e.g.: Ik vind dat, naar mijn mening, men denkt dat. or volgens onderzoek...het lijkt alsof...etc. which is then filled in with detail mostly gleaned from the articles or listening they provide. Yes you can take some of the vocabulary, but when you listen or read to stuff try to internalise the whole argument rather than attempting to hold sentences or expressions in your mind from the examples. Overuse of that is marked as "parroting" and not independent language use.
So though you might feel your responses are not up to scratch, the examiners will actually see someone making an effort to use the language independently, even if you make minor errors. Remember to keep it as simple as possible, which has a two-fold advantage of not getting trapped in a very difficult sentence structure, and also allows you more head-space to find and use vocabulary and prepare the next sentence.

As far as I know for post-A2 listening/reading you can only use a monolingual dictionary. And they're the only two parts where you can use a dictionary.

I wish you the best of luck.
4 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt

Postby Ug_Caveman » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:15 pm

Le Baron wrote:So though you might feel your responses are not up to scratch, the examiners will actually see someone making an effort to use the language independently, even if you make minor errors.

'Minor' is what worries me, or getting caught in a situation where I have enough grammatical skill but forget the necessary nouns :?

Le Baron wrote:As far as I know for post-A2 listening/reading you can only use a monolingual dictionary. And they're the only two parts where you can use a dictionary.

I wish you the best of luck.

From the instructions we've been given they seem to suggest we're allowed a bilingual (Dutch -> English) one as well as the monolingual one.

Many thanks, I've had a really sore throat today so last minute speaking practice has been out of the question - it seems the Universe as a whole is conspiring (in verband met dit examen) against me right now :lol:
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:28 pm

If you are able to use a bilingual dictionary that'll be a great help. It's odd though because if you sit the exam here it's a monolingual dictionary! I bet no-one here knows that.

Relax and don't think about the potential errors. So long as you understand the question more will flow out of you than you think.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”