wildNightIn's Log - 2021

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
wildNightIn
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Spanish (B1), Mandarin (HSK2)

wildNightIn's Log - 2021

Postby wildNightIn » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:51 pm

Hi all, and welcome to my 2021 language log!

I'm an incredibly lapsed language learner, and don't know how successful I'm going to be at restarting a language learning habit. But I'm hoping that this log will create enough internal pressure to actually stick with studying.

For now I'm going to try to update this once a week.

Fr:
Cette semaine, j'ai commencé à lire quelques livres pour le Super Challenge. J'ai presque 100 livres en français sur mes étagères (dont certaines que je n'ai même jamais ouverts, grâce à mon addiction à l'achat de livres bon marché) donc je ne manque pas de choses à lire ! Pour accroître mon confiance en mon niveau de compréhension j'ai décidé de commencer avec deux livres de jeunesse/ pour les ados.

Livre 1: Mousseline La Sérieuse par Sylvie Yvert (page 66/350)
Livre 2: L'inconnu du Donjon par E. Brissou-Pellen (page 43/199) [je l'ai acheté pour €0.50 en 2018 !]

Ce qui m'ennerve c'est le fait que maintenant je lis tellement l e n t e m e n t que j'ai commencé à penser que ce serait mieux de trouver des livres audio de ces titres. Mais j'espere que si je continue à lire en français, petit à petit je commencerai à lire d'un bon pas.

Sp:
I've felt too daunted to even begin the Output Challenge in Spanish. I have no idea how I'm going to be able to coax myself into doing this. In the last 5 years I've gone from being able to work in Spain and have (grammatically inaccurate) banter with colleagues to feeling nervous about writing "Hola, qué tal?"

This is not helped by the fact that I'm loathe to restart with the A2/ B1 stuff that would probably be really helpful. You know, like writing incredibly detailed instructions on how to not get lost on the way to somewhere, or an incredibly earnest and dreary piece about my life (antes de 2020, siempre había pensado que si tuviera el tiempo escribiría una novela policíaca... que inocente!) to try to remember grammar but I just... can't.

I think that after I've finished the first 2 French novels, I'll read something in Spanish which might boost my confidence..?

Zh: I've been trundling along, revising HSK 2 grammar with the HSK 2 app. I've started Chapter 2 of the HSK 3 course book, and am debating trying to find an iTalki teacher so I can try speaking. I'll probably chicken out as actually speaking to people is something I'm slowly falling out of the habit of doing during lockdown.

I also found a couple of basic Mandarin readers from the 90s' for sale for £1 so I bought them. I'm looking forward to practicing with reading material that's not on a screen or that I've not copied out from a screen with my wobbly handwriting. For some reason it's always easiest for me to engage with material when it's physically there.

I've started watching "Princess Weiyoung" on Netflix, and am up to episode 30. I can understand snatches of dialogue, and am looking forward to re-watching the whole series with Mandarin subtitles only to see how much I can comfortably understand. I know this is a ridiculous amount of TV to watch but as a terrifying lady once said: "the night is dark and full of... well it's not full at all, hence the binge-watching of Netflix".

No: This week I also decided to dabble in a bit of Norwegian as a friend sent me "Complete Norwegian", and 3(!) other TY language books last year, and I've been meaning to flirt through them at some point. Guess it's now or never? Anyway, jeg har lest den første og den andre kappitel. Norsk er søtt men jeg [know] ikke når jeg vil [continue] å laere det språket.

It's a definite ego boost after Mandarin though. :D

Here's to updating next week!
8 x
Super Challenge (joined 10/1/21):
Books : 0 / 100 Film : 0 / 100 Romance languages
Books : 0 / 100 Film : 8 / 100 ZH

Output Challenge 2021:
Written SP : 0 / 500
Recorded SP : 0 / 500

wildNightIn
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Spanish (B1), Mandarin (HSK2)

Re: wildNightIn's Log - 2021

Postby wildNightIn » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:05 pm

I absolutely forgot that MIT Mystery Hunt 2021 was taking place last weekend (indeed it's still happening now), so I've spent a few days having an indecent amount of fun. I'm also a little sleep-deprived so excuse any incoherence (although as ever, please feel free to correct any language mistakes).

A couple of the puzzles were language-based, which was really fun. Obviously as they're still live I can't post about them. Next post I will though, as Hunt has a fine tradition of puzzles involving a variety of languages (both ancient and modern). :)

Sp:
Last post was incredibly angsty re. writing in Spanish, so I've prodded myself into writing a little. Unsurprisingly it was a less painful experience than expected, and I managed to write 350 words. I've decided that the first 1000 or so will be a confidence-building exercise, then I'll focus more on grammar.

Fr:
La semaine dernière j'ai lu un peu plus [+60 pages] de "L'inconnu dans le donjon". J'ai arrêté de lire "Mousseline la Sérieuse" parce que ça allait un peu lentement.

J'ai donc décidé de regarder l'épisode "Secrets d'Histoire" sur Mousseline la Sérieuse. J'oublie toujours à quel point j'aime ce programme jusqu'à ce que je regarde un épisode. Le tournage est incomparable avec des acteurs costumés formant des tableaux illustrant des scènes de la vie du sujet. Il y a 370 épisodes de Secrets sur YouTube, donc je pense que je pourrais en regarder quelques autres au cours des prochains mois.

Zh:
I've finished "Princess Weiyoung". I also discovered a browser extension that lets me watch Netflix with the original subtitles, and English ones at the same time. It also lets me save words and phrases and look at them later. I'm debating re-watching The Untamed with this on, but also am aware that it would be active watching, instead of passive which goes against what I'm trying to do.

I've almost finished chapter 2 of the HSK 3 course, but it's going slower than comparative chapters for HSK 1 or 2 because I shot myself in the foot by only recognising characters instead of learning how to write them. So I keep stopping to write sentences containing the characters I've just encountered.

I'm still waiting on the readers I ordered, apparently one of them wasn't in stock so they're holding the order. It'll be a nice surprise when the books arrive.

Cy:
Now that I think of it, I'm not actually sure what the abbreviation for "Welsh" is...

About a million years ago (October 2020), I signed up for mailing information on the Learn Welsh site. They emailed last week to say that there's a 6-month course covering A1 being run remotely. It costs £45 for 2.5 hours of teaching a week. For 6 months. So obviously I enrolled on the spot because that is an insanely good deal.

The only words I know at the moment are "araf", "parcio", "bae Caerdydd", "Cymru", "croeso", and "morfil trist" so this is going to be one heck of an education.

No:
I've now completed chapter 3 of "Complete Norwegian". Is it bad to say I'm now in it for the story as much as the vocab? :lol:

In addition, I've been watching some videos by Norsklærer Karense on YouTube. I'd never realised just how much Norwegian one can understand without really knowing any. Yes she is speaking slowly and choosing words that beginners will recognise more easily but wow.
7 x
Super Challenge (joined 10/1/21):
Books : 0 / 100 Film : 0 / 100 Romance languages
Books : 0 / 100 Film : 8 / 100 ZH

Output Challenge 2021:
Written SP : 0 / 500
Recorded SP : 0 / 500

Return to “Language logs”