Mówię po polsku

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Mówię po polsku

Postby tungemål » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:56 pm

Mówie po polsku!
or... not really.

I studied some polish two years ago. I focused mostly on reading and listening a lot, inspired by the ideas of Steve Kaufmann, in addition to memorizing words with anki.

So I thought I'd refresh what I learned then, because it is like I forgot everything. I'll go through the beginner book one more time. It is Langenscheidt Polnisch mit System. This time I will not use anki - instead I'll just write down all new vocabulary and see if that makes it stick (it will not be new after all).

After this I might use the mini-stories at Lingq.

Well, first day - chapter 1 of 20 done.

One question - how do you write the special polish letter ł in handwriting? When I write it it looks suspiciously like a t.
Last edited by tungemål on Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

Chmury
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Polski - currently inactive, but I will return to it
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Re: Mówie po polsku!

Postby Chmury » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:07 pm

All the best with your return to Polish Tungemål! I have a feeling I might return to Polish this year at some point myself. Will you be spending much time on reviving and improving in the language?

With regards to writing the letter ł, just practice my friend. I also used to keep the horizontal bar short and emphasise the angle of it.
3 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

tungemål
Blue Belt

Postby tungemål » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:15 pm

I'll just spend about half an hour a day. 20-30 days to go through the 20 chapters I guess. I'll read through the grammar sections, but all those endings seem almost impossible to learn.
0 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:03 am

tungemål wrote:I'll just spend about half an hour a day. 20-30 days to go through the 20 chapters I guess. I'll read through the grammar sections, but all those endings seem almost impossible to learn.

The best way I found to practice/learn the cases is using the first 10 lessons of "Beginning Polish" by Alexandre M. Schenker. It helps drilling in those ending deep into the brain.
1 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Postby AroAro » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:01 am

tungemål wrote:
One question - how do you write the special polish letter ł in handwriting? When I write it it looks suspiciously like a t.

Polish kids are taught to write it like that - they put a horizontal line on top of the letter "l":

Litera ł.PNG

However, I tend to make a wave to distinguish it clearly from the letter "t". But most people say my handwriting is peculiar ;)

Łata.PNG

"łata" means patch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
corrections are welcome

tungemål
Blue Belt

Postby tungemål » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:47 am

Ok, thank you. That was not how I've been writing it. I'll adopt the official way.
1 x

CC93
White Belt
Learning: Polish

Postby CC93 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:37 pm

tungemål wrote:After this I might use the mini-stories at Lingq.

you may have seen in my thread as I see you responded in there but just a heads up there are quite a few mistakes in the mini stories. There was a forum post a few days ago but another member who pointed a few but there are more than what he identified. There are a few spelling errors and incorrect declensions, I have a feeling it wasn't put together by a native speaker. I would have noted them all down and posted them on the forum but I didn't know there was a forum until afterwards.

I just ran through them out of interest myself, I think they are still ok to run through if you are refreshing.
1 x

tungemål
Blue Belt

Postby tungemål » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:41 pm

Ok, thanks for the heads up. That's not good.
Is it only the text or is the reading of it also bad? If a native could listen to it they should be able to tell quickly if the reading aloud is done by a native speaker or not.
0 x

CC93
White Belt
Learning: Polish

Postby CC93 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:29 pm

tungemål wrote:Ok, thanks for the heads up. That's not good.
Is it only the text or is the reading of it also bad? If a native could listen to it they should be able to tell quickly if the reading aloud is done by a native speaker or not.

I don't think it's so bad that it is unusable but it's worth bearing in mind. They're mostly small errors in spelling e.g a word ends in "e" when it should be "ę". Looking at the forums the problems are being identified by at least 1 user and there is a response saying they are looking at correcting it so hopefully that clears a lot of it up. I have only listened to a short bit of the audio but I believe it is a native speaker speaking and it seems to be good quality.
0 x

tungemål
Blue Belt

Postby tungemål » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:30 pm

Update: I am at chapter 3. Half an hour for each chapter was a bit optimistic. Last time I didn't take the grammar notes seriously, but this time I read them carefully.

I am also thinking that I should set some goals to be able to speak on spesific themes. I got this idea from Richard Simcott.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”