Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:42 pm

rdearman wrote:
Radioclare wrote:Total - Russian: 106 mins

I'm lucky if I do 106 minutes a week. :(

I haven't got a lot else on at the moment :lol:

3 February
I had to get up early for a call with Australia. Actually it wasn't really that early - the call was at 8am - but since the pandemic started I have been enjoying lie ins. In pre-pandemic times I would normally have been on a train by 07.30, so I'm a bit concerned about how I'm ever going to get used to that again :lol:

Russian
I've decided that I'm only allowed to read Twilight if I study Russian numbers first, otherwise I think I could procrastinate working on this chapter of Schaum's indefinitely. The bits that I studied today covered thousands and millions, which actually seem slightly simpler than the numbers 2 - 4.

Afterwards I was able to enjoy my Twilight fix, so I'm three chapters into 'Затмение'. The chapters are quite long so I'm nearly 100 pages in. Still not much sign of a plot to be honest.

Total - Russian: 68 mins, Croatian: 47 mins, German: 53 mins (yesterday)
8 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:01 pm

Radioclare wrote:Still not much sign of a plot to be honest.

Think you'll be waiting a long time to find a plot in that book. :lol:
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:25 pm

4 February
The end of the week is in sight!

Russian
I studied two short sections in Schaum's this evening. The first one was about prices, which I found pretty straight forward. I feel like I already practised prices a lot when I spent hours and hours working through Pimsleur in 2019. The second section was about how to give phone numbers in Russian, which was new to me but not terribly difficult. So at least there was one easy bit in this number chapter :)

After that I spend half an hour or so reading 'Затмение'. Haven't found the plot yet :lol: I think maybe I need to start looking up some words to justify this as being educational.

Finally, on the treadmill I watched an episode of 'Татьянин день'. Татьяна 1 has been sentenced to 5 years in prison for that dodgy contract she signed, so half the characters spent the episode exclaiming "Пять лет!" which I guess was some reinforcement of my learning about numbers. The good news is that Татьяна 1 is starting to realise that she's been set up by someone, but she doesn't realise yet that it's her supposed best friend Татьяна 2. Meanwhile Татьяна 2 is trying to convince Татьяна 1 to have her baby adopted. Oh, and the other character who got pregnant has just had a miscarriage, so that wasn't very cheerful. I can't remember whether I mentioned this last time there was a hospital scene, but when the characters go to visit a patient they all have to wear white coats (so essentially all the visitors look like doctors!), the women seem to have to put something over their hair to cover it up and everyone has to wrap blue plastic bags around their feet. I guess there are some special rules about hygiene in hospitals.

Total - Russian: 108 minutes, German: 32 minutes (yesterday)
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:49 pm

5 February
I had a glass or two of wine with my tea to celebrate the fact that it's Friday and this may have hampered subsequent language learning efforts.

Russian
I didn't do any grammar this evening. I did read three chapters (=68 pages) of Twilight though, which took over an hour.

Croatian
Afterwards, I watched an episode of 'Drugo ime ljubavi' while on the treadmill. Remember the "bandera" which fell over in a storm the other day? Well, when the characters were trying to replace it, they accidentally dug up the body of someone who has been missing from the village for over 20 years and who was murdered by one of the other characters. The audience know who the murderer was and how it happened (but not why), whereas the characters currently have no idea. All very exciting.

Total - Russian: 77 mins, Croatian: 45 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:14 pm

6 February
A day at home without any plans, so plenty of opportunities for language study.

Russian
I opened Schaum's fairly early on in the morning to make up for not having done any studying last night. The sections I reviewed today were about how to say "both" (which I hadn't realised declines differently depending on whether masculine/feminine) and collective numbers.

I then spent over an hour reading 'Затмение' and I'm approximately 240 pages into it now. I think I do vaguely remember what the storyline is now!

I spent over half an hour attempting to write in Russian and managed 500 words, so I feel like I might be getting slightly faster.

I also watched an episode of 'Татьянин день' on the treadmill. Татьяна 1's mother has now found out that she's in prison rather than in Norilsk, so there was a lot of crying. Overall, I think having watched an episode of this series every other day so far this year, my comprehension is starting to improve. The exceptions to this are that I can't understand what the female characters are saying when they're crying and I can't understand what the male characters are saying when they're drunk. Both scenarios occur fairly frequently so this is definitely something I need to work at :lol:

German
This week I've been reading 'Das Erbe von Winterfell', one of the books in the Game of Thrones series, in German. The German publishers seem to have split each English book into two separate books, so this is the second GoT book I'm reading in German but effectively the second half of the first book if I was reading them in English. I think :? I'm 320 pages into it now, which is a bit over halfway, and really enjoying it :)

Total - Russian: 194 mins, Croatian: 16 mins, German: 64 mins
8 x

Chmury
Green Belt
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:47 pm

Guten Morgen aus Australien Radioclare. Wie geht's dir? Ich wollte nur sagen, dass obwohl ich kein Russisch oder Kroatisch lerne oder kann, habe ich immer genossen, dein Log zu befolgen und deine Einträge zu lesen. Ich habe immer deinen Einsatz und Arbeitsethik bewundert. Außerdem, wusste ich nicht, dass du auch sehr gut Deutsch konntest aber dann habe gesehen, dass du GoT auf Deutsch liest. War das, das erste Buch auf Deutsch für dieses Jahr, das du ausgelesen hast? Ich habe gerade gesehen, dass du dieses Jahr als Ziel zehn Bücher auf Deutsch gerne lesen möchtest. Ich glaube, das Ziel würde mir auch sehr gut passen. Wie empfindest du Twilight als Lernfutter? Schönen Tag noch!
4 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:31 pm

Vielen Dank für die nette Nachricht, Chmury :) Ich habe vor vielen Jahren Deutsch gelernt. Es war meine erste Fremdsprache, vor fast zwanzig Jahren. Damals hatte ich einen deutschen Brieffreund und ich habe Deutsch durch das Schreiben gelernt. Heutzutage habe ich selten die Möglichkeit, Deutsch zu üben und es kommt mir vor, als hätte ich fast alles vergessen. Aber ich lese sehr gern auf Deutsch und obwohl ich versuche, deutsche Literatur (oder, zumindest, deutsche Krimis!) zu lesen, ab und zu lese ich auch Übersetzungen aus Englisch, wie GoT.

Das erste Buch, das ich dieses Jahr gelesen habe, war "Splitter" von Sebastien Fitzek. Fitzek ist einer meiner Lieblingsautoren auf Deutsch - er schreibt Psychothriller und die sind immer sehr spannend, wenn auch ein bisschen verwirrend. Aber das erste Buch in der Reihe "Das Lied von Eis und Feuer" habe ich kurz vor Neujahr gelesen und es hat mir sehr gut gefallen, deshalb wollte ich so schnell wie möglich mit dem zweiten anfangen :)

Was Twilight betrifft, habe ich diese Bücher noch nie auf Englisch gelesen, nur auf Kroatisch und jetzt teilweise auf Russisch. Das ist natürlich keine Hochliteratur, aber ich kann noch nicht sehr gut Russisch und ehrlich gesagt wäre es für mich ganz unmöglich, Klassiker zu lesen, ohne fast jedes Wort nachzuschlagen. Twilight ist Jugendliteratur und wohl nicht sehr gut geschrieben, was bedeutet, dass es unglaublich einfach zu lesen ist. Es gibt fast keine langen Beschreibungen oder schwierige Wörter, und die Bücher sind alle ziemlich lang, was bedeutet, dass die gleichen Leute die gleichen Dinge sagen, immer wieder. Auf Englisch wäre das vielleicht etwas langweilig, aber auf Russisch finde ich es hilfreich. Aus dem gleichen Grunde habe ich auch "Fifty Shades of Grey" ein paar Mal auf Kroatisch gelesen :)

Und jetzt ist es mir peinlich zuzugeben, dass ich dein Log schon lange nicht gelesen habe :oops: Irgendwie hatte ich den Eindruck, dass du normalerweise auf Spanisch schreibst! Es scheint, dass ich mich irre, also schaue ich öfter vorbei :)
5 x

Chmury
Green Belt
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:14 am

Radioclare wrote:Vielen Dank für die nette Nachricht, Chmury :) Ich habe vor vielen Jahren Deutsch gelernt. Es war meine erste Fremdsprache, vor fast zwanzig Jahren. Damals hatte ich einen deutschen Brieffreund und ich habe Deutsch durch das Schreiben gelernt. Heutzutage habe ich selten die Möglichkeit, Deutsch zu üben und es kommt mir vor, als hätte ich fast alles vergessen. Aber ich lese sehr gern auf Deutsch und obwohl ich versuche, deutsche Literatur (oder, zumindest, deutsche Krimis!) zu lesen, ab und zu lese ich auch Übersetzungen aus Englisch, wie GoT.

Nun, es kommt mir vor, als ob dein Deutsch noch sehr gut sei, wenn du nach zwanzig Jahren so noch schreiben kannst und auch noch Bücher lesen kannst. Aber natürlich, ich weiß nicht welche Ebene der Sprache du früher erreicht hast.

Ich habe GoT nie gelesen also ich weiß nicht aus eigener Erfahrung wie es ist, aber ich würde vermuten, dass so ein Buch mit einer ganzen Menge Charaktere ganz schwierig wäre, also du musst dir das Deutsch, das du damals gelernt habe, richtig gut ins Gedächtnis eingeprägt haben.

Radioclare wrote:Und jetzt ist es mir peinlich zuzugeben, dass ich dein Log schon lange nicht gelesen habe :oops: Irgendwie hatte ich den Eindruck, dass du normalerweise auf Spanisch schreibst! Es scheint, dass ich mich irre, also schaue ich öfter vorbei :)

Und du hattest auch Recht. Ich lerne Deutsch seit eineinhalb Jahr ungefähr und nur ab und zu, und nur seit einigen Monaten konzentriere ich mich ein bisschen ernster darauf und deshalb schreibe ich in meinem Log auf Deutsch viel regelmäßiger. Wie du es geschafft hast, Deutsch zu lernen, lerne ich am besten beim Schreiben, also schreibe ich heutzutage sehr häufig auf Deutsch.

Radioclare wrote:Was Twilight betrifft, habe ich diese Bücher noch nie auf Englisch gelesen, nur auf Kroatisch und jetzt teilweise auf Russisch. Das ist natürlich keine Hochliteratur, aber ich kann noch nicht sehr gut Russisch und ehrlich gesagt wäre es für mich ganz unmöglich, Klassiker zu lesen, ohne fast jedes Wort nachzuschlagen. Twilight ist Jugendliteratur und wohl nicht sehr gut geschrieben, was bedeutet, dass es unglaublich einfach zu lesen ist. Es gibt fast keine langen Beschreibungen oder schwierige Wörter, und die Bücher sind alle ziemlich lang, was bedeutet, dass die gleichen Leute die gleichen Dinge sagen, immer wieder. Auf Englisch wäre das vielleicht etwas langweilig, aber auf Russisch finde ich es hilfreich. Aus dem gleichen Grunde habe ich auch "Fifty Shades of Grey" ein paar Mal auf Kroatisch gelesen :)

Ja ich würde auch nie die Twilight Serie auf Englisch lesen, aber als Lernstoff, ich glaube dass es hilfreich sein könnte, wegen der Gründen die du erwähnt hast; einfache Sätze, leicht erkennbare Wörter die sehr häufig wiederholt werden, höchst lesbar, und so weiter. Also, Dankeschön für die Inspiration und alles Gute zum Russisch und Kroatisch Lernen!
4 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:47 pm

7 February
I didn't have much on today either :lol: But unlike many of my colleagues, I definitely don't struggle to fill my lockdown weekends. I always seem to run out of time for all the things I want to do.

Russian
I started off with Schaum's first thing after breakfast. Today's topic was ordinal numbers, which feels like a fairly easy topic in principle but once I got on to the exercises I soon found there were a few where I made spelling mistakes. I should probably get back to practising my spelling on Memrise.

After that I allowed myself to read 'Затмение' for an hour or so. I even looked up a few words but I can't remember what all of them were now. One of them was "вожда" (leader) - one of those words which I'd read multiple times without understanding, until it got to the point that I was irritated enough by not understanding it that I needed to look it up, and then when I did look it up it seemed so obvious that that is what it meant that I felt annoyed for having had to look it up in the first place. Oh well :lol:

I went on the treadmill before dinner and listened to a Russian Progress podcast about the current political situation in Russia. It was something I was interested in, but I'd been trying to listen to it while sitting down on Saturday night and I just couldn't concentrate on it properly. Listening to it while walking was much easier.

Croatian
I wrote 1,000 words this afternoon, which took about 45 minutes. I think Croatian is my strongest language for writing at the moment, at least in terms of how easy I find it to remember the words I want to use. When I was trying to write in German last night, I felt at times like I had to get past the Croatian word and then the Esperanto word before I could finally pull the German word out of my brain. Due to lack of other inspiration for a theme, I wrote in Croatian about why/how I learned German. On the one hand I know what people mean when they say the first language you learn is the hardest, because you have to learn how to learn. I definitely experienced that with German. But on the other hand, nothing will ever convince me that German is harder to learn than Russian :lol:

Anyway, before tea I went on the treadmill again and watched an episode of 'Drugo ime ljubavi'. Wow, this was an exciting one! Massive spoilers ahead, but the series is all about a girl called Lola whose baby was taken away from her and adopted 10 years ago. In the course of trying to track down her lost son, she accidentally kills a woman called Ana in a car accident and assumes her identity. Initially this is just supposed to be a short-term thing, but in the persona of Ana she meets the love of her life, Saša, and gets married. The problem is that Saša doesn't know anything about her past and thinks that she really is Ana. This has been going on for around 130 episodes now, so it was pretty exciting to get to today's episode where Saša, who has now found out the truth, confronts Lola/Ana plus Igor, the father of her child who she's been passing off as a cousin. The two men come to blows, and it doesn't end well...

Total - Russian: 129 mins, Croatian: 90 mins, German: 33 mins
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:24 pm

8 February
Cold outside today - it snowed persistently, but tiny little snowflakes that didn't stick.

Russian
The topic of the day in Schaum's was fractions. I have to confess that fractions are not very high up on the list of things I'm interested in how to express in Russian. In fact I'm struggling to think of any scenario in which I would want to express more than the simplest of fractions in Russian. I was tempted to skip the section, but then I decided that if I started to allow myself to skip bits of the textbook I didn't like I might soon be at the end of it :lol: So I spent 15 minutes or so on it and I probably did learn something.

Afterwards I spent nearly an hour reading 'Затмение'. I was only intending to read one chapter, but then I accidentally read a second :oops: I'm over halfway through now.

Finally, I watched an episode of 'Татьянин день' on the treadmill. Татьяна 1 wrote a letter to Сергей to tell him that she was pregnant with his child. She entrusted this letter to Татьяна 2 and I was pretty certain that the evil Татьяна 2 would burn it and Сергей would go at least another 50 episodes without finding out the truth. But instead, Татьяна 2 had an attack of conscience and offered the letter to Сергей... who refused to read it. So things are no further along, but for a different reason to the one I expected.

Total - Russian: 133 mins
5 x

Return to “Language logs”