Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:23 pm

8 July
Worked at home today and then took a train to London this evening. This feels like a momentous occasion because it's the first time since 16 March 2020 that I've been on a train.

Russian
Because I finished a book last night, I had to choose something new to pack for today's excursion. I chose the Russian translation of 'The sign of four' by Arthur Conan Doyle. This is a Sherlock Holmes story which I've read a few times in English, but not frequently enough or recently enough that I remember the plot. Bizarrely, after spending most of the train to London reading Sherlock Holmes, I then walked down Baker Street on route to where I was going :D

Total - Russian: 73 mins, Croatian: 48 mins
9 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:56 pm

Radioclare wrote:8 July
Russian
Because I finished a book last night, I had to choose something new to pack for today's excursion. I chose the Russian translation of 'The sign of four' by Arthur Conan Doyle. This is a Sherlock Holmes story which I've read a few times in English, but not frequently enough or recently enough that I remember the plot. Bizarrely, after spending most of the train to London reading Sherlock Holmes, I then walked down Baker Street on route to where I was going :D

When you were in Moscow, did you go by your embassy there and see the Sherlock Holmes statue out front?
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:07 pm

FYI also on Baker street is the home of one "Benedict Arnold" who you probably never heard of, but most Americans will be aware of. :)
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:35 pm

rdearman wrote:FYI also on Baker street is the home of one "Benedict Arnold" who you probably never heard of, but most Americans will be aware of. :)

No comment. ;) (packs a bag of rotten tomatoes for his next trip to London :lol: )
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:30 pm

IronMike wrote:When you were in Moscow, did you go by your embassy there and see the Sherlock Holmes statue out front?

No, I didn't know about this :shock: If I ever manage to go to Moscow again, I'll definitely look out for it :)

jeffers wrote:
rdearman wrote:FYI also on Baker street is the home of one "Benedict Arnold" who you probably never heard of, but most Americans will be aware of. :)

No comment. ;) (packs a bag of rotten tomatoes for his next trip to London :lol: )

rdearman is correct in supposing that I have never heard of Benedict Arnold :lol:

9 July
A tiring day in London. Quite strange being in such a busy place again after so long, although places like the train station were definitely quieter than they would have been in normal times.

Russian
I was too tired to read on the train home, so I spent half an hour on the Memrise app instead. Still really enjoying the 10 000 words Russian course, though still only about 200 words into it.

I felt a bit more energetic once I got home and had a coffee, so I did some more reading of Sherlock Holmes. Some of the words I looked up included "жемчужина" (pearl), "сокровище" (treasure) and "доля" (share, as in "a share of the treasure").

Total - Russian: 86 mins
4 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:38 pm

Radioclare wrote:
IronMike wrote:When you were in Moscow, did you go by your embassy there and see the Sherlock Holmes statue out front?

No, I didn't know about this :shock: If I ever manage to go to Moscow again, I'll definitely look out for it :)

4 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Meddysong
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Esperanto (C1), French (C1), Italian (B1); a smattering of various other languages, principally Romance ones.

Postby Meddysong » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:15 pm

Radioclare wrote:9 July
A tiring day in London. Quite strange being in such a busy place again after so long, although places like the train station were definitely quieter than they would have been in normal times.

Ha, she's too modest to tell you what she's been doing in London, folks, even though it is most certainly related to learning languages.

That woman there is our very own Radioclare, who did a stellar job in the studio recording audio for my new book, Enjoy Esperanto!

Not bad at all for somebody who has barely uttered a word of Esperanto for the past decade, and who was apprehensive that a sequence for one of her characters of "1, 3, 5" would come out as "unu, tri, pet". Nothing to worry about -- she was great, as were the rest of them!
16 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:22 pm

Meddysong wrote:Ha, she's too modest to tell you what she's been doing in London, folks, even though it is most certainly related to learning languages.

Well, I didn't want to spoil the surprise about your new book! But yes, I went to London to help record some of the audio and it was a really interesting experience. It's amazing how difficult it is to read sentences aloud without accidentally stumbling over a word or mispronouncing something!

10 June
Today was a less strenuous day. I went to a party in my parent's garden this evening, which was fun :)

Russian
I started watching an episode of 'Татьянин день' on the treadmill last night, so I decided to finish it when I was on the treadmill this morning. I only had 20 minutes left, which meant I then went on to start another episode which I'm now only partway through. I seem to go in phases with this programme and at the moment I'm in a phase where I don't feel like my comprehension is very high. Татьняна 1 has left Moscow for a bit to visit relatives in the countryside and so lots of new characters have suddenly been introduced from her village. I'm struggling to follow what most of them are saying, perhaps just because I haven't tuned into their voices yet.

Otherwise, I spent some more time on Memrise and made up for not having brought my B1.1 textbook to London with me by spending half an hour on that before I went out. I am still working through exercises on the theme of marriage break-ups.

Total - Russian: 90 mins, Croatian: 34 mins
8 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:51 pm

Well, there's another book I'll have to add to my bookshelf. When will it come out?
0 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Meddysong
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Esperanto (C1), French (C1), Italian (B1); a smattering of various other languages, principally Romance ones.

Postby Meddysong » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:45 am

IronMike wrote:Well, there's another book I'll have to add to my bookshelf. When will it come out?
September 16, apparently.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”