Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Serpent » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:30 pm

Caromarlyse wrote:
Radioclare wrote: learned some new words: алый (scarlet), выкуп (ransom), похищение (kidnapping)

I didn't know that, but knew похмелье (hangover) and похороны (funeral). It made me think that пох- indicates something is bad. Having looked on Wiktionary, there appears to be no etymological basis to this supposition, but having also looked in a paper dictionary for words starting with this combination, a large proportion of them are indeed negative.
Haha, they kinda have this feeling of 'after' (well, not похищение). по- has many meanings and another one is just completeness :?
пох is also a short/"polite" form of похуй :lol: :lol: :lol:

поминки also has this "afterwards" meaning. to drink in honour of someone dead is to поминать/помянуть. (wiktionary says it also means to pray for them or just commemorate them but I'm not sure I've ever come across these meanings)
these are related to more neutral words like упоминать, вспоминать, and less obviously to память, помнить and a bunch of words in other languages including meinen and mniti.
also more distantly related to 'mention' :o

it doesn't seem like поминки is the same as wake, it's only the meal after the funeral. at least you get to eat pancakes :D on масленица they've been retconned as the symbol of the sun but really they're a symbol of death :twisted:

my Polish great-great-grandma wanted people to dance at her funeral :shock: well technically at the поминки I guess - in more casual speech похороны includes поминки but not vice versa. the difference is rarely important, like if someone chooses to attend one and not the other.
the funeral generally takes place at least three days after someone died, and there may be additional поминки at the 9 days and especially 40 days mark. there are probably more words for these but I can't even remember them.

not a fan of the expression but похоронить or похороны is also used in a positive sense among fooball fans :D again, to mean the opponent is finished.

anyway, while the пох- words are mostly a coincidence, similar words do interact, so maybe they've ehhh... kept one another alive :? :lol:

this also feels like a good occasion to mention that in contemporary Russian culture an outdated or unfunny joke is баян, after the sexist short joke "хоронили тёщу - два баяна порвали". баян is a musical instrument so it's implied it was broken during happy celebrations :evil:
you can see it spelled as боян, not related to the Slavic name :lol: :lol: :lol:
wiki reminded me that it can also mean outdated/unhelpful information.
4 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:38 pm

rdearman wrote:I have never worked anywhere for 15 years! The one place that comes close is the military and that was just because they wouldn't let me out. Hope the new job is better.

I'm really hoping it's better too :lol: I never intended to stay for 15 years (actually, it's nearer 16 tbh!) but once you have stayed somewhere that long it's quite a strange feeling to leave!

Serpent wrote:
Caromarlyse wrote:
Radioclare wrote: learned some new words: алый (scarlet), выкуп (ransom), похищение (kidnapping)

I didn't know that, but knew похмелье (hangover) and похороны (funeral). It made me think that пох- indicates something is bad. Having looked on Wiktionary, there appears to be no etymological basis to this supposition, but having also looked in a paper dictionary for words starting with this combination, a large proportion of them are indeed negative.
Haha, they kinda have this feeling of 'after' (well, not похищение). по- has many meanings and another one is just completeness :?
пох is also a short/"polite" form of похуй :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for all the information! I will try to digest it properly once I have real internet again :)

6 June
Phone signal continues to be shaky, but the scenery in Devon is really beautiful :)

Russian
I spent another half an hour reading Agatha Christie in Russian once I got back from my walks this evening, so I'm now nearly 200 pages in and really enjoying the storyline. Zero idea who the murderer is, despite having read this before :lol:

Total - Russian: 38 mins, Croatian: 12 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:34 pm

7 June
Another day of walking in the beautiful Devon countryside. Phone signal continues to be terrible.

Russian
I reading another chapter of 'Загадочное происшествие в Стайлзе' this evening. I was repeatedly coming across the word "задвижка", which I didn't understand so I looked it up. The first definition I found said "gate valve", which didn't make a lot of sense to me in English either, but then I found that it also means "door bolt". That made a lot more sense in the context of the story, which was a discussion about whether the door to the room the victim had been murdered in was just locked, or locked and bolted.

Total - Russian: 45 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:15 pm

8 June
Back home now :) But had a lovely walk along the coast this morning first.

Russian
Now that I'm back to proper internet, I contemplated watching some Russian TV this evening. But then, when I was updating my language spreadsheet, I realised that I was soooo close to completing the reading part of my Russian Super Challenge, so I couldn't resist the desire to do some more reading. Another two chapters of 'Загадочное происшествие в Стайлзе' took me to 5,024 pages of Russian read, so I have officially crossed the threshold of 100 'books'. In reality, I've read 13 actual books, of which 9 were by Agatha Christie and 4 by Stephenie Meyer. So not exactly high literature, but never mind :lol: I've still got quite a way to go before I finish the films part of the challenge.

Total - Russian: 49 mins
9 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:44 pm

Congratulations
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:23 pm

9 June
A day off at home today, which is a rarity. I did go out to see family in the middle of the day but I had some time to myself in the morning and evening.

Russian
I'm going away again tomorrow so I decided to use my Russian time to finish reading 'Загадочное происшествие в Стайлзе' so that I can pack a different Russian book to bring with me on my next trip. I only had 38 pages left which doesn't sound like a lot, but my Russian reading speed still isn't great so it took a while. I reached the end though and the identity of the murderer was a complete surprise :)

Croatian
I also spent time reading in Croatian this evening and I finished 'Kolekcionar grijeha'. That was 312 pages, so takes my Croatian reading Super Challenge to 66 'books'. I obviously could have finished my Croatian reading challenge quite a long time ago if I wasn't trying to read in Russian too :lol: This book was really good though and I recommend in any language, so long as you're not overly squeamish (some of the murders are a bit grisly in nature!). It looks like the subsequent books in the series are only available in Russian (and it feels like the sort of series that deserves to be read in order). This was the first book which I read in Croatian and I have the third book in Russian already, so I am very tempted to buy the second one in Russian soon, although a bit hesitant about whether my level of Russian is up to it.

One of my favourite bands, Hladno Pivo, have released a new song this week. The first time I listened to it, I hated it. Having listened to it for a while on repeat, it's now growing on me. The video is utterly bizarre, though!

Total - Russian: 42 mins, Croatian: 104 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:27 pm

10 June
Away for a short break in Wales for the rest of the week. I had the full week off work but couldn't go away for the entire time because the cat sitter was also on holiday, so having two short breaks instead.

Russian
When I went to pack a book to bring with me this morning I realised that I'd actually got to the end of my collection of Agatha Christie's in Russian. This meant I had a choice between reading some Sherlock Holmes translated into Russian or reading an actual Russian book written in Russian. I initially contemplated the Sherlock Holmes, but decided against it because I remember reading some of the stories in Esperanto a few years ago and thinking "Wow, these are actually quite hard!". So I went for a proper Russian book instead, and am therefore reading something called 'Смерть и немного любви' by Александра Маринина. It's still a detective story, so hopefully there's some transferable vocab from Agatha Christie. I've only read 17 pages today, but so far so good :)

Total - Russian: 31 mins, Croatian: 49 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:14 pm

11 June
Went to Anglesey today, which was nice. Got a bit sunburned earlier in the day in Conwy. I had just about stopped looking red after a previous sunburn incident in Northumberland a few weeks ago, so this is a bit unfortunate!

Russian
It's been a fairly busy day again, so I haven't had time to even think about opening my textbook. This evening I read another 20 pages or so of the novel I started yesterday, 'Смерть и немного любви'. So far it's about a number of brides who are about to get married and receive threatening letters trying to convince them not to go through with it. I've learned one new one - "загс" - which seems to be like a registry office.

Total - Russian: 44 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:02 pm

12 June
Visited a beautiful waterfall today - not quite up to Icelandic standards of waterfall, but still pretty cool :)

Russian
I spent an hour reading 'Смерть и немного любви' this evening. A bride has been shot in the registry office, which is rather dramatic. Overall reading this book is going better than I expected considering it's my first attempt at an actual Russian book written in Russian. One word which I came across today and didn't really understand was "вайме". From context, it seems to be some sort of exclamation but I couldn't really work out any more than that.

Total - Russian: 60 mins
6 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:48 am

Radioclare wrote:One word which I came across today and didn't really understand was "вайме". From context, it seems to be some sort of exclamation but I couldn't really work out any more than that.

It is an exclamation, usually expressing surprise or exasperation and stereotypically associated with people from the Caucasus (apparently it's originally from Georgian).
5 x

Return to “Language logs”