Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Thu May 20, 2021 10:18 pm

20 May
Long day. Don't think I can avoid doing some work this weekend.

Russian
I had some wine with my dinner, so I still haven't got anywhere with my textbook. In fact I didn't do any Memrise today either. But to compensate, I have watched two episodes of 'Татьянин день'. I started one at lunchtime on the treadmill because it was too wet to go out for a proper walk, yet again. The storyline has moved on from the wedding and today the main event was actually a funeral. I learned the word "поминки", which seems to be a wake. In this particular instance it was just a party in a restaurant where several characters got very drunk.

Total - Russian: 90 mins, Croatian: 49 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri May 21, 2021 10:26 pm

21 May
Rubbish day at work. I thought initially I'd only need to work half a day tomorrow and now I think it's going to have to be the whole day.

Russian
Didn't really feel like doing anything productive this evening, so I started watching an episode of 'Татьянин день'. One thing led to another, and I watched a second episode. That one ended on a cliffhanger, and so I watched a third :lol: Not sure I learned any new vocabulary. Well, in one episode a character was talking about Татьяна 1 having been in prison. Initially she described her as being "в тюрьме", which made sense, and then afterwards she said something about her being "на зоне" and I wasn't really sure what that meant. Presumably some variation on the theme of being in prison.

Total - Russian: 135 mins, Croatian: 51 mins
4 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sat May 22, 2021 4:59 pm

Radioclare wrote:Initially she described her as being "в тюрьме", which made sense, and then afterwards she said something about her being "на зоне" and I wasn't really sure what that meant. Presumably some variation on the theme of being in prison.

Yes, both - "в тюрьме" and "на зоне" - can be translated to English as "in prison" .
3 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat May 22, 2021 8:00 pm

aaleks wrote:Yes, both - "в тюрьме" and "на зоне" - can be translated to English as "in prison" .

Thank you aaleks, that's good to know :)

22 May
I think today must be the worst Saturday I've had all year, because I essentially did another full day of work, not finishing until after 7pm. And the absolute worst thing about it was that I didn't even get everything I needed to done, so I'll have to do an hour or so tomorrow morning too.

Russian
Nothing very exciting to report today, I'm afraid. I hadn't logged into Memrise for a few days, so I had a small backlog of reviews to clear again. That actually turned out to be a positive, because I've just been able to clear them as an easy activity while watching Eurovision :)

Total - Russian: 32 mins, Croatian: 64 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun May 23, 2021 6:54 pm

23 May
I thought I had an hour or so of work to do this morning, but it turned into more like 2.5 hours. Never mind, it's done now.

Russian
After an entire week of neglecting my textbook, I finally opened it this afternoon. I'm still working my way through the grammar exercises in the first chapter, which are all about reflexive verbs. I'm not very good at these verbs in Russian, so the exercises are definitely useful. Hopefully I'll make more progress with this textbook over the next couple of weeks.

Croatian
I'm eight episodes into the series 'Čista ljubav' now and definitely enjoying it. There's plenty of drama; so far we've had one character suffer a near-fatal asthma attack, another character nearly die when a roof collapsed on his head, a fatal car crash and a murder of a prostitute. I also spent a couple of hours reading in Croatian this afternoon. As I said last week, I'm reading a translated Russian novel called 'Kolekcionar grijeha' by Daria Desombre. It's a shame I've not found more time to read it this week because it seems really good; I'm about 100 pages in at the moment and it feels a bit like a Dan Brown novel set in Moscow.

Total - Russian: 32 mins, Croatian: 173 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon May 24, 2021 8:47 pm

24 May
I spent a lot of today not really being sure what day it is because it doesn't feel like I had a proper weekend.

Russian
There was an enormous hail storm at lunch time so I didn't go out for a walk and watched an episode of 'Татьянин день' on the treadmill instead. I'm 93 episodes in now and definitely enjoying the storyline more, though I don't always feel like there's been a significant improvement in my level of comprehension.

This evening I did a couple more exercises on reflexive verbs from my textbook, as well as clearing some Memrise reviews and watching a short Russian Progress video about someone getting the Sputnik vaccine.

Total - Russian: 76 mins, Croatian: 57 mins
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue May 25, 2021 9:05 pm

25 May
I managed to go for a walk today without getting rained on. I think this is the first time for several weeks this has happened :D

Russian
I am trying to be more diligent this week, so I continued with the exercises on reflexive verbs in the B1.1 textbook. There really are a lot of exercises! The ones I was doing today I found quite difficult, but then I ended up getting more of them correct than I expected :)

Later in the evening I watched another episode of 'Татьянин день'. Татьяна 1 has just found out that she's pregnant again, but it's not clear (at least, not to me!) who the father of the child is. Meanwhile Татьяна 2 is pretending to be pregnant. This is an odd storyline as there is obviously going to be a limit to how long she can keep up this pretence!

Croatian
I've been watching an episode of 'Čista ljubav' every morning on the treadmill, so I'm 10 episodes in. Today's episode ended with a (probably) non-fatal car crash, so all exciting stuff. This evening I read another 30 pages of 'Kolekcionar grijeha'. I learned a new word - "popadija" - which seems to be the wife of a priest. Or, at least, the wife of an Orthodox priest.

Total - Russian: 63 mins, Croatian: 86 mins
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed May 26, 2021 8:06 pm

26 May
Such a busy day. I've got to the end of it and I'm honestly not sure what I've achieved. I had a last minute meeting over lunchtime which wasn't entirely helpful.

Russian
The meeting meant that I couldn't go outside for a walk, but I did get an extra few thousands steps on the treadmill while watching an episode of 'Татьянин день'. I've gone through stages of finding this series really boring, so I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying it at the moment.

I had so few reviews to do on Memrise today that I even learned ten new words, so I feel like I've turned over a new leaf with this :lol:

Total - Russian: 52 mins, Croatian: 50 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu May 27, 2021 9:49 pm

27 May
Another long day. But partly self-inflicted, because I'm having a day off tomorrow.

Russian
I had some wine with my dinner to wine down, so I haven't done anything terribly exciting this evening. I watched an episode of 'Татьянин день', which was quite exciting as Татьяна 1 caught her husband cheating on her with another woman (but not Татьяна 2 this time). So then I watched a second episode as well :) My Russian films Super Challenge is coming along quite well now; I'm up to 81 films.

Total - Russian: 90 mins, Croatian: 48 mins
8 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri May 28, 2021 11:21 am

Radioclare wrote:I had some wine with my dinner to wine down,
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Typo or freudian slip?
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language logs”