Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:30 pm

10 November
Flying back to the UK this evening, but had an amazing walk in the Torcal natural park this morning. A really unique landscape.

Russian
Not the most exciting of updates. I got stuck in a long queue for bag drop at the airport, so used it to clear some more memrise reviews. Still didn't quite manage to make it to Memrise zero, but it was a good way to kill what would have been a boring wait anyway :-)

Total - Russian: 30 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:09 pm

11 November
Back to work today! The emails weren't as bad as they used to be at my old job. But have spent most of the evening with unpacking and other boring post-holiday tasks.

Russian
I was going to watch a couple of episodes of 'Кухня' this evening, because the one thing I never do on holiday is any listening/watching. But when I logged into YouTube I realised I had a couple of Russian Progress podcasts to catch up on, so I listened to those instead. One of them involved an interview with another person, which I never find terribly interesting. The other one was about why it's worth learning a language to enhance your travel experiences, so that was more enjoyable :)

Croatian
I completely forgot to record the time but I spent most of the flight home yesterday reading a novel called 'Bijes' by Nicola Lagioia. It's a translation from Italian set in Bari, about the daughter of a rich property developer who commits suicide. The blurb says it's won prizes, which always makes me slightly nervous, because I frequently don't find books which win prizes very enjoyable :D But so far I've found it a good read, albeit a bit intense and requiring a fair amount of concentration to keep track of all the various characters and their relationships to one another. Anyway, I mention it because I'm 100 pages in now and that is enough to take me over the threshold of 100 books to (finally!) complete my Croatian Super Challenge :)

Total - Russian: 41 mins, Croatian: 46 mins
11 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:42 pm

12 November
A two-day week at work isn't too bad :)

Russian
I did a bit more reading in Russian tonight and got to the end of chapter six in my current novel, which brings me to the halfway part of the book.

Then I decided to clear my Memrise reviews, which were still at over 1500 despite the efforts I'd made to keep on top of them while I was away. That was... fun :roll: But I'm back to Memrise-zero now, in both Croatian and Russian.

Total - Russian: 95 mins, Croatian: 115 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:06 pm

13 November
Saturday, but I spent almost all of today working on Esperanto accounting stuff, so it's been a bit of a busman's holiday.

Russian
I read some more of 'Светлый лик смерти' while eating my lunch, but not enough to finish another chapter. It turns out it's quite hard to eat and read Russian at the same time :lol:

After I'd given up on work for the day I cleared today's Memrise reviews which were around the 200 mark, mostly as a result of yesterday's mistakes. I think I'll have to give it a day or too more to get these down to a manageable level before I add any more words.

I still hadn't got to 10 000 steps so I also went on the treadmill for 20 mins or so and caught up on some more Russian Progress videos that I'd missed. There was one about cycling which would be quite useful if you wanted to talk about bicycles in Russian (but I don't, so it wasn't :lol:).

What I actually wanted to do today was read in German and/or Croatian, but I completely failed at that.

Total - Russian: 64 mins, Croatian: 62 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:18 pm

14 November
Felt tired today for some reason. Saw my family for brunch, did a small amount of Esperanto work and started my Christmas shopping.

Russian
Had another 200 Memrise reviews today, despite being back at zero yesterday. Sometimes I ask myself why I bother with Memrise :lol:

Otherwise I just spent 45 mins or so reading in Russian this afternoon; not while eating this time, which made it easier. But the chapters in this book are so long that even that wasn't enough time to read the end of a chapter!

Total - Russian: 51 mins, Croatian: 50 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:10 pm

15 November
Working from home today. Fairly quiet day but didn't feel massively refreshed from the weekend, I guess because I spent Saturday working.

Russian
I made the mistake of doing some Christmas shopping after dinner, which meant turning on my computer, and that means I haven't had a very productive evening for Russian. Before I went on holiday I wasn't allowing myself to use the computer until I'd done lots of Russian, reading etc and I was having much more productive evenings.

Never mind. I had another 200 or so reviews on Memrise, so I tackled those first. Then I decided to watch an episode of 'Кухня' because with going on holiday I hadn't watched any of it for about a fortnight. Honestly, I didn't really enjoy the episode I watched today, but I think I probably need to watch a few more episodes to try and get back into it.

Total - Russian: 44 mins, Croatian: 63 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:57 pm

16 November
Actually spent the whole day at a client's premises today - first time that's happened since March 2020 :shock:

Russian
As a result I felt kinda tired this evening. I needed to go on the treadmill to get extra steps so I watched another episode of 'Кухня'. I enjoyed it more today; I often find it easier to focus on it while walking.

Afterwards I just cleared my Memrise reviews to get over the 30-minute mark. Only around 100 reviews today, so it's moving in the right direction :)

Total - Russian: 32 mins, Croatian: 50 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:20 pm

17 November
Had a long meeting in the office today so still feeling kinda tired.

Russian
I could just copy and paste yesterday's update really! I watched another episode of 'Кухня' while on the treadmill. Found the storyline of this one a bit too silly; it was portraying a series of different hypothetical scenarios, none of which actually happened and I found it a bit frustrating, like when you watch something that you think is real and then it all turns out to have been a dream.

The Memrise reviews were back today to normal levels today so I was actually brave enough to learn 10 new words :)

Total - Russian: 33 mins, Croatian: 56 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:00 pm

18 November
Worked in the office again today. Hard to imagine how I used to do this 5 days a week :lol:

Russian
Went out for dinner afterwards so I'm afraid it's another pretty boring update. While I was waiting for a lift after work I got 15 minutes of Memrise in. The reviews are definitely down to a manageable level now so I went a bit crazy and added 20 new words. The app seems to have updated itself and had some annoying adverts added into it though. It remains to be seen whether this annoys me enough to make me subscribe to Pro again! When I got home I watched another episode of 'Кухня' again.

Total - Russian: 39 mins, Croatian: 51 mins
11 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:13 pm

19 November
Worked from home today, which was nice and relaxing. Meeting people in real life is tiring.

Russian
A more exciting update this evening. I did have a fun 20 mins clearing my Memrise reviews, but then I watched a new travel vlog by Антон Птушкин about Norway. It was really good :) Obviously some amazing scenery, but also some really interesting details about Norway. He visited an oil rig, for example, which was unusual to see. It was also cool to see a couple of places that I've been in real life. He visited a town called Halden which I went to in 2013, but I had no idea that there was a prison there and he gave some insight into the Norwegian prison system, so that was pretty interesting too.

I learned the word "бурить" which (I think!) is "to drill", in the sense of drilling for oil.

Total - Russian: 92 mins, Croatian: 56 mins
7 x

Return to “Language logs”