Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:35 pm

Yep, I've been working there for 4 months now and this was the first Friday I'd been to the office so I can't really complain :D

31 October
I've made it to Malaga! It's so strange to be abroad again after such a long time. And particularly unusual to be somewhere warm :lol: My flight necessitated getting up at 02.30 though, so a bit tired now.

Russian
Language updates while I'm away are not going to be very exciting. I've also decided that I'm not going to participate in the 6WC this time around; partly because I'm going to be away for the first 10 days, so really just concentrating on achieving the bare minimum of study, and partly because last time I felt it caused me to log into Twitter more than I ordinarily would have and I didn't feel like that was a good thing.

Anyway, I spent half an hour reading in Russian on the plane to Spain this morning after drinking a large cup of coffee and having a realisation that this might be the most alert I felt all day (spoiler - it was!). The main word I looked up was "помойка", which is like a rubbish dump. The first murder has happened and that was where the body was found.

Total - Russian: 33 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:09 pm

1 November
Had a lovely time exploring Malaga today. Definitely the hottest I've ever felt in November!

Russian
A really boring update from a language point of view though - I've just spent 30 minutes on Memrise. I didn't log into it at all with travelling yesterday, so quite a lot of reviews had built up. I tried to do them as "classic" typing reviews (rather than speed reviews, which is normally my preferred method) and I made so many typing mistakes that I can guarantee I'll having plenty of reviews in the coming days too :lol:

Total - Russian: 31 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:28 pm

2 November
It was a bit wet in Spain today but had a great time visiting a little town called Ronda, right at the top of an enormous gorge.

Russian
I cleared my Memrise reviews once I got back to the hotel (not too bad today!) and then I spent 20 minutes or so reading some more of 'Светлый лик смерти'. I managed to get to the end of the third chapter, which is about 25% of the way through the book. One of the murders has happened, but I think there are still more to come :) So far it's a nice easy read and not too taxing for a holiday.

Total - Russian: 35 mins, Croatian: 8 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:00 pm

3 November
Very exciting day today, walking along the Caminito del Rey. It's a series of walkways along the side of a narrow gorge; really spectacular.

Russian
This evening I've just spent a bit of time reading the next chapter of 'Светлый лик смерти'. The chapters in this book are really long, so even though I read for the best part of an hour, I still didn't manage to get to the end of one.

Total - Russian: 55 mins, German: 49 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:38 pm

4 November
Had a great time today, travelling through lots of little white towns in Andalusia.

Russian
Because of all the travelling, it was quite late tonight before I got to do any Russian. I was wavering between whether I wanted to read or do Memrise, so I opened Memrise to see how many reviews I had. When I found I had over 700(!!!) I decided the decision had been made for me and I'd better make efforts to clear some of them. So I've just done half an hour of very tedious speed reviews. That hasn't completely cleared by backlog, but it's taken it down to a more manageable number.

8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:04 pm

5 November
Very exciting day today - day trip to Gibraltar. Absolutely amazing views :)

Russian
Boring language update, though. When I got home I checked my Memrise reviews and they'd significantly multiplied overnight again, so I had another fun half an hour trying to get them closer to zero. Definitely one of those days where I wouldn't have done any Russian if I wasn't trying to keep a streak :)

Total - Russian: 31 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:03 pm

6 November
Visited Cadiz today. A really beautiful town :)

Russian
Today wasn't as tiring as yesterday, so I had time this afternoon for some Russian reading. I spent about 40 minutes reading 'Светлый лик смерти', with the result that I'm now 125 pages into it and got to the end of chapter 4 :)

Total - Russian: 41 mins, German: 32 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:37 pm

7 November
Visited Seville today and really liked it, which surprised me because I really wasn't a fan when I first visited it back in 2014. The major difference was the weather; it was July when I visited in 2014 and the heat was almost unbearable. November is a lot more pleasant :)

Russian
It was another day that involved a lot of travelling, but this evening I decided to spend half an hour progressing with 'Светлый лик смерти' rather than tackling Memrise. I started the next chapter and learned a new word: "стойкий" (persistant, stubborn, obstinate).

7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:57 pm

8 November
In Cordoba today - a really beautiful town. The weather continues to be amazing for November.

Russian
Continued with reading 'Светлый лик смерти' today. I'm now nearly 150 pages into it and managed to reach the end of chapter 5 :) Today's new word was "шлюха", which is one that perhaps best stays untranslated!

Total - Russian: 39 mins, German: 116 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:54 pm

9 November
Went to Granada to visit the Alhambra today. Such an amazing place :)

Russian
I logged in to Memrise today and saw that I had over 2000 reviews outstanding for Russian, plus another 2600 outstanding for Croatian. So I've just spent a fun half an hour trying to work through some of the Russian ones. Have made a bit of a dent in them but I'm still going to have a huge backlog to clear once I get home!

Total - Russian: 36 mins
10 x

Return to “Language logs”