Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby rdearman » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:12 pm

Happy Birthday.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:54 pm

Feliĉan naskiĝtagon al vi, Claire!!!
1 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:34 pm

Radioclare wrote:29 November
Today was my birthday and my new firm is really cool and let's everyone have their birthday off work, so that's been a nice treat.

Feliz cumpleaños!
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:25 am

С днём рождения, Клэр! Желаю тебе счастья, здоровья и успехов!!
1 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:14 pm

Thank you everyone :) I got some cool language-learning presents for my birthday; a Croatian textbook called 'Hrvatska na drugi pogled', which I'm very excited about, and an answer book for the exercises in 'A Comprehensive Russian Grammar' :)

30 November
Back to work today but the emails weren't too bad. We had a plumber come at home and sort out a couple of long-running issues, so that was really positive too.

Russian
I decided to start reading a new book in Russian this evening and the one I chose from my unread pile was 'С небес на землю' by Tatyana Ustinova. I've never read anything by her before, but I think this is a detective story. Or, at least, it starts with a body being unexpectedly found in the corridor of a publishing house. I read for about half an hour, which was enough to take me 20 pages into it, and then my head was starting to hurt so I flicked forward to see how far away I was from the end of the first chapter. This seemed to suggest that the book doesn't have any chapters. At least, I couldn't find any trace of them. So I just stopped reading in a random place and will try again tomorrow. First thoughts are that I'm finding it quite difficult; not necessarily more difficult in terms of vocabulary from the books I've been reading recently, but just hard to get my head around who the characters are, why they're there, what they're doing etc. I probably haven't given it enough of a chance with only 20 pages!

Total - Russian: 41 mins, Croatian: 57 mins
8 x

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:49 am

Belated happy birthday!
1 x

AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Postby AroAro » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:26 am

Radioclare wrote:This seemed to suggest that the book doesn't have any chapters. At least, I couldn't find any trace of them. So I just stopped reading in a random place and will try again tomorrow. First thoughts are that I'm finding it quite difficult; not necessarily more difficult in terms of vocabulary from the books I've been reading recently, but just hard to get my head around who the characters are, why they're there, what they're doing etc. I probably haven't given it enough of a chance with only 20 pages!

I'm reading now "Пояс Ориона" by Ustinova and it doesn't have any chapters either. I've read some 100 pages so far and I still have no clue who the characters are and if there is even a victim or not - because the supposed victim might have been killed or may be hiding somewhere. It's still hard to tell at this point where the story is heading!
1 x
corrections are welcome

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:12 pm

AroAro wrote:
Radioclare wrote:I'm reading now "Пояс Ориона" by Ustinova and it doesn't have any chapters either. I've read some 100 pages so far and I still have no clue who the characters are and if there is even a victim or not - because the supposed victim might have been killed or may be hiding somewhere. It's still hard to tell at this point where the story is heading!

I'm so glad you said that because I was starting to think I was going mad last night when I couldn't find any chapters :lol: And I'm glad I'm not the only one finding it a challenge to work out what's going on in one of her books!

1 December
How is it December already?!

Russian
Tried to make more progress with 'С небес на землю' after work. The problem with having no chapters is that sometimes you turn a page and find you're in a completely different scene with a completely different character from the one you had on the page before and there's no warning. I've decided I like chapters. I find finishing them (or trying to finish them) quite motivational.

When I was reading I looked up the word "отгрузка" which seems to mean "shipment". It was definitely a delivery of something which had arrived in an office and was sitting on a desk anyway.

Croatian
Spotify tells me that my most listened to song of 2021 was this one!

Total - Russian: 59 mins, Croatian: 60 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:08 pm

2 December
Very cold again today - a tiny bit of snow and all the pavements were quite slippery.

Russian
After I'd done my Memrise reviews I tried reading 'С небес на землю' again. Honestly, I'm still finding it pretty heavy-going and I think I'll be reading it for the remainder of this year.

The main words I looked up today were "лазутчик" (spy, but not sure what the difference is between this and "шпион", which is the word I've learned for spy before) and "ефрейторша" (seems to be a military rank).

Total - Russian: 45 mins, Croatian: 56 mins
7 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:29 am

Radioclare wrote:2 December
Very cold again today - a tiny bit of snow and all the pavements were quite slippery.

It's grim up north.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language logs”