Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Re: Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Caromarlyse » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:10 am

Radioclare wrote:I haven't checked the forecast for the rest of the week but suspect I might be having a wet UK holiday :lol: [...]

I'm guessing this used a horrendous amount of data, but I'm paying for a large amount of data in my contract and not using it anymore since I stopped commuting, so I figured it didn't really matter.

I've noticed people have started to adopt very much a sod it, I'm going out anyway approach to things - I go out and think I'll be able to walk/ride in peace because the rain's pouring down, only to discover loads of other people out and about anyway.

To save your data, you can always download episodes beforehand. I use the pocket casts app, subscribe to whichever podcasts I want, and then before each walk spend a minute downloading enough episodes to keep me going on the walk.
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:31 pm

Caromarlyse wrote:To save your data, you can always download episodes beforehand. I use the pocket casts app, subscribe to whichever podcasts I want, and then before each walk spend a minute downloading enough episodes to keep me going on the walk.

That's a good tip - thanks! My listening yesterday was spontaneous so I was just using Spotify, but if I do it again I should be more prepared and download in advance :)

9 August
I have been getting a bit fed up when I log into Facebook every day and it tells me that X years ago today I was somewhere more exciting and sunny than the UK. But today it reminded me that 6 years ago today I had just been on the most exhausting hike of my life in Lithuania and for a few minutes I felt quite happy to be in the UK after all :lol:

Russian
I went to the pub after work tonight, so not the biggest day for language learning. I cleared all my Memrise reviews before I went out; for some reason it was one of those days where Memrise decided to give me 100 reviews in both Russian and Croatian. I also spent a little bit of time with the B1.1 textbook, but only enough to complete one exercise. When I got home I watched an episode of 'Татьянин день'. I feel like I've lost the will to live a bit with the storyline at the moment, but I'm getting really close to hitting 100 films for my Russian Super Challenge, so I can't give up now!

Total - Russian: 81 mins, Croatian: 69 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:29 pm

10 August
Haven't got a lot of language learning done today. I'm going away tomorrow so had some packing to do tonight and also some housework.

Russian
Once I'd finished all my tasks I cleared my Memrise reviews, which took longer than I hoped; it was another one of those days where Memrise gives me 100 reviews unexpectedly. Then I watched another episode of Татьянин день but again, not massively enjoying it at the moment. There were too many scenes in this episode with multiple characters talking at once, which I find a bit overwhelming and hard to follow.

With going away I think my Russian study is going to reduce to the minimum 30 mins a day for the next week!

Total - Russian: 54 mins, Croatian: 50 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:07 pm

11 August
Off on holiday today, which involved driving to the Lake District via the Yorkshire Dales.

Russian
I had a relatively slow start to the morning, so was able to read a chapter of 'Мистер Паркер Пайн' before I left home. I looked up a couple of words, including "чертежи", which I think was supposed to be some sort of blueprint or technical drawing.

Otherwise I just kept on top of my Memrise reviews and spent 10 minutes or so clearing them in a pub this evening. I'm going to try not to let them build up too much on this holiday.

Total - Russian: 41 mins, Croatian: 49 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:45 pm

12 August
Had a beautiful walk in the Lake District today. Haven't done very much language learning though.

Russian
When I got back to the hotel this afternoon I read another short story from the book 'Мистер Паркер Пайн'. The phrase I looked up today was "судорожный припадок"; as far as I can tell, it's a type of seizure.

Other than that I just cleared a few Memrise reviews in the pub again.

Total - Russian: 37 mins, Croatian: 3 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:03 pm

13 August
A lot of travelling today - started out in the Lake District and finished on the Isle of Mull.

Russian
Before I set off this morning I read another chapter of the Agatha Christie, which took me almost to half an hour but not quite. Words I looked up today included "простофиля" (simpleton) and "верблюд" (camel).

On the ferry this evening I cleared all my Russian Memrise reviews, which took another 10 minutes or so.

Total - Russian: 38 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:01 pm

14 August
A beautiful day on the Isle of Mull today. Against the odds it didn't pour with torrential rain and actually turned out to be quite sunny :shock:

Russian
Before I left the hotel this morning I spent half an hour reading in Russian and got through another short story in the Parker Pyne book. The main word I remember looking up towards was "брезент" (tarpaulin).

Croatian
I've also spent quite a lot of time reading in Croatian and I'm over 250 pages into the novel 'Hladna Fronta' now. It's an interesting one; really different to Pavao Pavličić's usual style of detective fiction. It's not quite a thriller but it does involve a certain amount of mystery and overall it's one of those books that's so well written it's just enjoyable to read, even if the plot does seem to depend on a fair few coincidences at times.

Total - Russian: 37 mins, Croatian: 106 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:38 pm

15 August
A somewhat damp day on Mull today; more what you'd expect for weather in the Hebrides.

Russian
Just another short update today. This afternoon I've read another chapter in the book 'Мистер Паркер Пайн'. Overall this book is definitely not one of the best I've read by Agatha Christie, but the fact that it's divided up into a series of short stories which only take half an hour or so to read is definitely making it easy for me get my 30 minutes of Russian study in while travelling :)

Total - Russian: 39 mins, Croatian: 61 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:33 pm

16 August
Amazing day today - visited a small island called Ulva, just off the coast of Mull. The rain held off long enough to do a good walk :)

Russian
Another boring language update though, I'm afraid! Just one more chapter read of 'Мистер Паркер Пайн'. I looked up the word "серёжка", which seems to be an earring. That confused me mildly, as I thought I'd learned a different word for earring at some point.

Total - Russian: 38 mins
6 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:36 am

OMG, I love the Hebrides. We spent a week in the Outer Hebrides in 2010 and wow. The Air BNB owners were Gaelic-educated so it was a language lover's week too. I heard so much Gaelic on the Isle of Lewis. It was so wonderful. Seriously jealous, Clare.
3 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Language logs”