Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:12 pm

23 September
I'm afraid I haven't been very exciting again today and have spent most of my evening reading in English.

Russian
I cleared my Memrise reviews in between cooking dinner. Today was one of those days where I seemed to have more of them than I expected. I meant to read in Russian this evening but then after I'd spent several hours reading in English I was kinda done with reading, so I didn't. But I did watch two more episodes of 'Кухня'.

Total - Russian: 65 mins, Croatian: 54 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:16 pm

24 September
Feels like it's been a long week. But now it's the weekend and I had pizza and wine to celebrate.

Russian
Before I had the pizza and wine I made myself open the B1.1 textbook. I started a new chapter today and this one is on the theme of nature and ecology. Today I was mainly reading the opening text and making a start on the comprehension questions.

I cleared my Memrise reviews while I was waiting for the pizza to cook and then I read another chapter of 'Таинственный мистер Кин'. I did look up a couple of works this evening: "набросок" (sketch) and "валун" (boulder).

Total - Russian: 81 mins, Croatian: 52 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:26 pm

25 September
A nice relaxing weekend day :)

Russian
I didn't listen to any podcasts while doing the housework this morning because I was waiting for a delivery and didn't want to miss it by having my headphones in. But it didn't even turn up, so that was pretty annoying.

Once I'd finished my cleaning, I cleared my Memrise reviews and then spent about half an hour with the B1.1 textbook. I've made reasonable progress with the comprehension exercises, including a listening one. They're all on the theme of the environment, global warming etc.

Later I read the final short story in the collection 'Таинственный мистер Кин'. It was quite a strange one, rather supernatural. I think Agatha Christie is better when she sticks to normal murder mysteries.

Total - Russian: 72 mins, Croatian: 81 mins
5 x

Just_a_visitor
White Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=14557

Postby Just_a_visitor » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:31 pm

It's funny, but one of Кухня's producers has been recently elected in Duma (that's the lower house of the Russian parliament).
He's a member of Новые люди (New people) - a party emerged literally from nowhere and considered to be a spoiler by so many here.
BTW, it's thanks to you that I paid attention to the fact and to the guy himself - haven't heard of the series from anyone else.
2 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:56 pm

Just_a_visitor wrote:It's funny, but one of Кухня's producers has been recently elected in Duma (that's the lower house of the Russian parliament).
He's a member of Новые люди (New people) - a party emerged literally from nowhere and considered to be a spoiler by so many here.
BTW, it's thanks to you that I paid attention to the fact and to the guy himself - haven't heard of the series from anyone else.

That's interesting, didn't know that! I think Кухня is quite a popular series on the forum. Or, at least, it definitely used to be - I'm only watching it because I've seen lots of other people mention it in their logs over the years :)

26 September
My other half has been away all week and is coming back today, so that's exciting :)

Russian
Another day, another Agatha Christie short story :) I finished 'Таинственный мистер Кин' yesterday but the copy I have also includes a second collection of short stories called 'Гончая смерти'. I read the first one today and didn't enjoy it at all (supernatural again!). A new word I learned was "взрыв" (explosion).

I spent some more time on the comprehension exercises in the latest chapter of my B1.1 textbook and managed to finish them, so tomorrow I'll be back to grammar exercises.

I also watched another episode of 'Кухня' on the treadmill. I feel like I focus on it better when I'm on the treadmill but it wouldn't really work for me to watch it in the mornings because the episodes are too short (25 mins vs 45 mins for the Croatian telenovela I watch).

Total - Russian: 83 mins, Croatian: 61 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:58 pm

27 September
I had a meeting today that I thought was going to be really difficult, but it actually turned out to be completely fine. So not a bad start to the week :)

Russian
Before dinner I did a little bit more work with the B1.1 textbook. I was starting the grammar exercises in this chapter, which seem to be on the theme of complex sentences with чтобы. This feels like a much easier topic than things like деепричастия, at least so far. I spent less than 15 minutes on this though, so still pages and pages of exercises to go.

Later I read the second short story from the 'Гончая смерти' collection. This one also had a bit of a supernatural theme to it - or, at least, it involved a medium - but not as bad as the one I read yesterday. Today's new word was "кинжал" (dagger).

Before I went to bed last night I ended up watching a really fascinating documentary in Russian about a remote region called Чукотка. It's one of those places that's ridiculously cold almost all year round and so a really challenging place to live. The programme was showing what the grocery stores are like there (very limited selection and everything is very expensive because it's so hard to transport it there). There were also lots of cool shots of people travelling on sleds pulled by huskies :) It was genuinely really interesting, even if I couldn't understand all of it.

Total - Russian: 65 mins, Croatian: 58 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:10 pm

28 September
Worked from home today. It feels like the weather is starting to get colder.

Russian
I spent quite a while reading in English this evening so I haven't done loads. But I spent a reasonable amount of time on grammar exercises from the B1.1 textbook and they actually turned out to be way more straightforward than I expected, so in an unexpected turn of events I actually got to the end of the chapter :)

Later I read a fairly short story from 'Гончая смерти'. Maybe all the stories in this book are going to be supernatural. The one I was reading today involved someone being hypnotised, then the person who hypnotised them dying and their soul taking over the other person's body. It didn't make a whole lot of sense! I learned the word "чахотка" (consumption, the sort you die from in a Victorian novel).

Total - Russian: 53 mins, Croatian: 56 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:53 pm

29 September
I had to go into the office for some training today. Went out for a meal afterwards and that involved some wine, so haven't done any proper grammar study this evening.

Russian
When I got home I cleared my Memrise reviews. I've been clearing them every day this month, but somehow I still ended up with 100 to get through today.

Then I watched a couple of episodes of 'Кухня', which I'm still really enjoying :)

Total - Russian: 60 mins, Croatian: 56 mins
4 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:27 pm

Radioclare wrote:Before I went to bed last night I ended up watching a really fascinating documentary in Russian about a remote region called Чукотка. It's one of those places that's ridiculously cold almost all year round and so a really challenging place to live.

Wow! I've been to some cold places in Russia (Chelyabinsk, Moscow), Чукотка sounds really cold. I've been close to there, to Kamchatka, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky specifically, where I had the best scallops in my entire life. That was back in 2011. And still I've not had better scallops. In fact, they were so good, that after eating them at this particular restaurant (can't remember the name) on night one, we went to this restaurant for eight days in a row! And I had scallops EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

OK, got off topic. Russia is cold. Чукотка sounds colder.
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:52 pm

IronMike wrote:Wow! I've been to some cold places in Russia (Chelyabinsk, Moscow), Чукотка sounds really cold. I've been close to there, to Kamchatka, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky specifically, where I had the best scallops in my entire life. That was back in 2011. And still I've not had better scallops. In fact, they were so good, that after eating them at this particular restaurant (can't remember the name) on night one, we went to this restaurant for eight days in a row! And I had scallops EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

OK, got off topic. Russia is cold. Чукотка sounds colder.

Wow, you've been to some exciting places :)

30 September
Back working from home today. It really is getting colder now. I'm starting to dream about going somewhere warmer!

Russian
I didn't have so many reviews on Memrise today, which was good. I started a new chapter in the B1.1 textbook after work today. This one is still on the theme of nature and the environment. The opening text which I read today was about some sort of ecovillages: экопоселение. I made a start on some of the comprehension exercises and learned the phrase "гуманитарные науки" (humanities).

Later in the evenings I read another Agatha Christie short story. This one really was quite a short one so I also watched another episode of 'Кухня'. Still finding it really funny :)

Total - Russian: 65 mins, Croatian: 61 mins
8 x

Return to “Language logs”