Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Fri May 28, 2021 8:43 pm

rdearman wrote:
Radioclare wrote:I had some wine with my dinner to wine down,
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Typo or freudian slip?

Haha oh dear, it looks like I probably had too much wine with my dinner :lol:

28 May
I had the day off work today and Monday is a public holiday in the UK, so I've gone away for the weekend. The plan was initially to stay in Northumberland in the north of England, but I couldn't find any accommodation there so I'm in the south of Scotland instead.

Russian
Today was mostly spent travelling and I definitely didn't feel like opening my textbook by the time I got to my accommodation tonight. Luckily, I had foreseen this situation and packed a novel in Russian to read instead. So this evening I've spent half an hour reading the first chapter of 'Загадочное происшествие в Стайлзе' (The mysterious affair at Styles) by Agatha Christie. I have definitely read this in English once, but it must be a very long time ago because so far I don't recognise the storyline at all.

Total - Russian: 32 mins, Croatian: 56 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat May 29, 2021 8:23 pm

29 May
I had a brilliant day hiking in Northumberland today, but that means I don't have a lot to report on the language front.

Russian
I have actually packed my textbook and brought it with me, but when I got in this evening I felt too tired (and sunburned!) to tackle it. Instead, I read another two chapters of 'The mysterious affair at Styles' in Russian. I'm already 54 pages into it, so it's going well. It feels a bit harder than some of the other Agatha Christies I've read in Russian; I think maybe because the chapters are a bit longer.

Total - Russian: 57 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun May 30, 2021 9:25 pm

30 May
Still on holiday. Today I went to Berwick-upon-Tweed which is a really pretty place.

Russian
It seems like it was a waste of effort to bring a textbook with me on this trip. This evening I read another 30 pages or so of 'Загадочное происшествие в Стайлзе'. The murder has happened now, so things are hotting up. I had to look up the word "щеколда", which I think means latch.

Total - Russian: 45 mins, Croatian: 124 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon May 31, 2021 8:34 pm

31 May
Had a beautiful walk to a waterfall this morning, following by about 280 miles in the car to get home again. Back to work tomorrow, but it's been a lovely break.

Russian
I was up reasonably early this morning, so I was able to get over 30 minutes of Russian reading in before breakfast. It felt much easier reading in Russian first thing in the morning compared to last thing at night after a long day (and some wine!). I'm 131 pages into 'Загадочное происшествие в Стайлзе' now. Updating my spreadsheet, I also realised that I'm now not far off finishing the reading part of my Russian Super Challenge; once I finish this Agatha Christie, I think I'll reach 100 books. Still quite a long way to go on the listening, though.

Total - Russian: 44 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:47 pm

1 June
I turned on my computer this morning and found I'd missed 72 emails :shock: Bear in mind that Monday was a public holiday, so I'd only had one day off work. This is one of the reasons I'm glad to be leaving this job!

Russian
I didn't do any Memrise while I was away, so spent a while this evening clearing my reviews. After that I continued reading 'Загадочное происшествие в Стайлзе'. I looked up the words "смехотворный" (ridiculous), "особняк" (mansion) and "усыпление" (putting an animal to sleep).

Total - Russian: 41 mins, Croatian: 78 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:34 pm

2 June
A long day at work - I didn't finish until 20.30 - so I haven't had time to do much this evening.

Russian
I had a choice between reading or watching TV this evening. My instinct was to read, because I'm really enjoying the Agatha Christie, but I forced myself to watch an episode of 'Татьянин день'. I'm going away next week, for part of the week possibly without internet, so it makes more sense to focus on watching TV now when I can and bring the book away with me.

Total - Russian: 45 mins, Croatian: 50 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:50 pm

3 June
Another looong day. It's partly self-inflicted because I'm taking next week as holiday.

Russian
I finished work quite late again so I haven't done anything very exciting this evening, just watched another episode of 'Татьянин день'. This was episode 99, so I feel like I'm making progress through the series, even if not always very noticeable progress with my level of comprehension!

Total - Russian: 45 mins, Croatian: 48 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:01 pm

4 June
A pretty frustrating day at work. Not regretting having handed in my notice, more regretting having given this place 15 years of my life :lol:

Russian
I still haven't done anything exciting, I'm afraid. Just one more episode of 'Татьянин день'. But this was episode 100, so that's exciting :) There are 221 episode in total though so I'm not even halfway through.

Total - Russian: 46 mins, Croatian: 48 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:33 pm

5 June
I'm staying in Devon, in the south of England, for a few days. The place I'm staying in doesn't have WiFi though - and the phone signal is a bit intermittent - so if I miss a day updating my log, that's why.

Russian
My phone signal definitely isn't good enough to watch any Russian TV. But I've packed my Russian Agatha Christie, so I spent half an hour reading the next chapter of that this evening.

Total - Russian: 34 mins, Croatian: 47 mins
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:56 pm

I have never worked anywhere for 15 years! The one place that comes close is the military and that was just because they wouldn't let me out. Hope the new job is better.
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language logs”