Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:12 am

Radioclare wrote:This evening I read one more short story from the Agatha Christie collection, 'Доколе длится свет' . This was a strange one which, if I've understood the intro correctly, Agatha Christie was commissioned to write by an organisation trying to promote tourism on the Isle of Man. The story is about a treasure hunt around the Isle of Man. The main word I looked up was "кустарник", which I think is a shrub or a bush.
I read her autobiography a while back (much easier to read than her whodunnits!), I vaguely remember she snagged a round the world cruise promoting something or other, back when she was still married to Mr Christie.

EDIT
The "something or other" was the 1924 British Empire exhibition.
4 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:24 pm

That's interesting, I haven't read her autobiography and didn't know that!

28 August
Beautiful walk in the hills today. Not only was it sunny but I even remembered to put suncream on :)

Russian
When I got back this evening I read another short story in Russian. I was only planning to read for half an hour, but this story was longer than I expected so it took more like 50 minutes. This story was about an artist and I looked up the word "холст" (canvas).

Total - Russian: 53 mins, Croatian: 47 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:37 pm

29 August
Another lovely walk in Northumberland, although today was not a day that required suncream.

Russian
And another short story by Agatha Christie read in Russian! This one was actually about a murder and featured both Poirot and Hastings, so it was more up my street. Words I looked up included "сундук" (chest, as in a large box) and "сударыня" (madam). Have never seen the latter word used anywhere before, not even in another Agatha Christie, so I'm guessing it's not terribly common.

Total - Russian: 46 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:38 pm

30 August
Today was wet and I got stuck in traffic on the long drive home, so not the most exciting of days.

Russian
When I finally got back home I went on the treadmill and watched an episode of my Croatian telenovela. That wasn't enough to get me to 10 000 steps, so I also watched an episode of Кухня in Russian. I felt like I understood it pretty well; it was easy to focus on it while on the treadmill, with nothing more interesting to distract my attention.

Otherwise I just spent 15 mins or so clearing all the Memrise reviews which built up while I was away.

Total - Russian: 41 mins, Croatian: 52 mins
6 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:41 am

Radioclare wrote:"сударыня" (madam). Have never seen the latter word used anywhere before, not even in another Agatha Christie, so I'm guessing it's not terribly common.

Interesting! I know only the male "государ" as it was one of the titles of czar Nicholas II. Perhaps it is the female equivalent of it?
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:25 am

cjareck wrote:
Radioclare wrote:"сударыня" (madam). Have never seen the latter word used anywhere before, not even in another Agatha Christie, so I'm guessing it's not terribly common.

Interesting! I know only the male "государ" as it was one of the titles of czar Nicholas II. Perhaps it is the female equivalent of it?

A small correction, it's "государь" with "ь" at the end :) . The female equivalent is "государыня". With "сударыня" it will be almost the same - "сударыня" for a woman and "сударь" for a man. But these words are rather dated. We normally don't use them in real life now, only if in a somewhat ironic way.
6 x

kimmitt
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2)
Learning: French, Croatian, Danish

Postby kimmitt » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:43 am

Radioclare wrote:29 August
Another lovely walk in Northumberland, although today was not a day that required suncream.

Glad you enjoyed Northumberland. I grew up there and parts of it are really lovely, but I've not been back for years.

And thanks for your advice elsewhere re: Croatian - I'm not sure where I'm going to find the time between maintaining my French, working a full time job and looking after a small baby but there we go :lol:
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:10 am

aaleks wrote:A small correction, it's "государь" with "ь" at the end :)

Thanks for the correction and the explanation!
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:25 pm

aaleks wrote:A small correction, it's "государь" with "ь" at the end :) . The female equivalent is "государыня". With "сударыня" it will be almost the same - "сударыня" for a woman and "сударь" for a man. But these words are rather dated. We normally don't use them in real life now, only if in a somewhat ironic way.

Thank you for the explanations! It sounds like I need to add those to my list of words which it's useful to understand when reading, but not useful to use in real life :)

kimmitt wrote:And thanks for your advice elsewhere re: Croatian - I'm not sure where I'm going to find the time between maintaining my French, working a full time job and looking after a small baby but there we go :lol:

Wow, it sounds like you definitely have your hands full :shock: But happy to give advice on Croatian any time :)

31 August
Back to work today. Despite the fact I had Friday off, barely came back to any emails :)

Russian
The most exciting thing about today was actually that I got a new phone. So I spent a fair amount of time setting it up rather than learning languages this evening.

However, I did clear all my Memrise reviews after dinner :) And then I watched two more episodes of 'Кухня'. I'm finding it quite a refreshing break from 'Татьянин день' and I think my level of comprehension must have improved a bit since last time. First time around I was excited when I understood things and now I'm frustrated when I don't understand things :lol:

Total - Russian: 55 mins, Croatian: 55 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:38 pm

1 September
Wow, how did it get to be September already? Today is the busiest day I've had in my new job; I worked my first hour of overtime :D But mainly because I'm attending a training course for the rest of the week.

Russian
I cleared my Memrise reviews after work and then did some reading. I read the final story in the Agatha Christie collection 'Доколе длится свет', which was quite a sad one. I don't think I looked up any words but I was majorly confused by the fact that the main character in the story was called "Дайдра", because I couldn't think what name this could possibly be in English. I had to look up the English story in the end; turns out it's Deidre :)

Total - Russian: 42 mins, Croatian: 59 mins
11 x

Return to “Language logs”