Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:08 pm

22 June
Another big day of travelling in Scotland today; currently on a ferry to the Isle of Islay.

Russian
I've just spent half an hour reading in Russian on the ferry this evening but it's felt like hard work today. I should probably have read Russian on my first ferry this morning when I was more awake. This evening it seems to have taken half an hour to read about 10 pages. A few of them were written in italics, which I still find difficult to read.

Total - Russian: 35 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:25 pm

23 June
Day trip to a small island called Colonsay today. Pretty, but damp :)

Russian
I felt like I was really struggling with my Russian reading last night, so I decided to make sure I got through it in the morning today when I would hopefully feel less tired. I therefore did 45 minutes of Russian reading on the ferry to Colonsay this morning, which was enough to get me to the end of another chapter. And it did feel less painful than yesterday :)

Total - Russian: 45 mins, German: 30 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:18 pm

24 June
Torrential rain on Islay today. The views here are probably very pretty if you can see them :lol:

Russian
I've spent the best part of an hour persevering with 'Смерть и немного любви' while drying off this afternoon. The main new word I've learned is "взятка" (bribe). I reached the end of another chapter and am nearly 200 pages into the book now.

Total - Russian: 52 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:31 pm

25 June
Today was a sunny day and Islay was beautiful :)

Russian
More reading this evening and got through another 30 pages of the book. The main word I looked up today was "слесарь", which I think is a locksmith. The context in the book was that a character was allegedly working as a "слесарь" but was living above what their means would be in that profession, so was potentially also involved in crime.

Total - Russian: 52 mins
6 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:40 am

Radioclare wrote:The main word I looked up today was "слесарь", which I think is a locksmith. The context in the book was that a character was allegedly working as a "слесарь" but was living above what their means would be in that profession, so was potentially also involved in crime.

It did apparently originally mean "locksmith", but nowadays it can refer to a metalworker doing handwork on anything made of metal, from water pipes to car parts. Until now I actually had no idea that the word was etymologically related to the German "Schloss(er)". I think usually when we need to refer to someone who specializes in locks we say слесарь-замочник, or just замочник.
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:22 pm

Thank you vonPeterhof, that's really useful :)

26 June
Had a very early morning ferry from Islay back from mainland Scotland today, so have spent most of the day feeling pretty tired.

Russian
It won't be a surprise to hear I've just done more reading this evening. The main word I looked up was "залог", which in this context I think meant bail money, i.e. money one character had paid in order for another character to be released from custody and as a guarantee that they wouldn't disappear before their court hearing.

Total - Russian: 42 mins, German: 108 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:15 pm

27 June
Final day of the holiday today. We had a 300-mile drive home, but made time for a walk in the Lake District on the way home, which was really beautiful.

Russian
This evening I took advantage of having fast internet again to watch some videos in Russian. I didn't have time for an entire episode of the telenovela, so I watched a couple of Russian Progress videos instead. There was one about St Petersburg, which was fun to watch, and another about words in Russian which have come from French.

Total - Russian: 31 mins
5 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:26 pm

28 June
First day at the new job! So far so good :)

Russian
I found I had a backlog of recent Russian Progress videos which I hadn't watched, so I've been catching up on those this evening. The language practice is always useful, but I can't pretend I hugely enjoyed the videos I watched today. Both of them were filmed from a bicycle and they stress me out to watch because it always looks like he's about to crash into someone or something :lol: I also watched 15 minutes of an episode of 'Татьянин день' which I seemingly didn't finish before I went on holiday.

Total - Russian: 49 mins, Croatian 49 mins
10 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:21 pm

29 June
Second day at work survived :)

Russian
I started a new episode of 'Татьянин день' on the treadmill after work and then finished it later after dinner. Will take me a while to get back into the storyline again after not watching it while on holiday, I think.

I felt unusually virtuous this evening and so I logged into Memrise. I didn't think it had been that long since I cleared all my reviews, but I already had 500+ waiting for me :shock: I cleared them all in one go and will try to keep on top of them more from now on!

Total - Russian: 70 mins, Croatian: 60 mins
6 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:06 pm

30 June
Got through my third day :) Still doing a lot of training at the moment.

Russian
Feeling a bit tired this evening so I haven't done anything very exciting - just watched another episode of 'Татьянин день'. There was quite an interesting development in the storyline today though, so enjoyed it :)

Total - Russian: 45 mins, Croatian: 50 mins
5 x

Return to “Language logs”