Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Re: Radioclare's 2021 log (Russian, Croatian)

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:13 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:It is an exclamation, usually expressing surprise or exasperation and stereotypically associated with people from the Caucasus (apparently it's originally from Georgian).

Thank you, vonPeterhof - that makes sense, the character in the book was saying it when they'd just found out about a murder.

13 June
Back home now, but had a lovely day visiting an aqueduct on the way home.

Russian
I got home reasonably early, but somehow didn't get around to doing any Russian until I'd already drunk a fair bit of wine, so I still haven't opened my textbook. I did read another 20 pages or so of the Russian novel I'm reading; over 80 pages into it now :) I'd like to say I'll do better with the textbook this week but it's going to be my last week in my current job (eek!!) so I'm predicting that I'm going to be horribly busy.

Total - Russian: 35 mins
8 x

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:26 am

Radioclare wrote:it's going to be my last week in my current job (eek!!) so I'm predicting that I'm going to be horribly busy.

Are you going to be taking time off in between? It sounds as though you need it!
1 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:37 pm

Caromarlyse wrote:Are you going to be taking time off in between? It sounds as though you need it!

Yes, I've got a week off in between, so very much looking forward to that!

14 June
I opened my laptop to 187 emails this morning :cry:

Russian
I really felt like reading in Russian this evening, but trying to make the most of having proper Wi-Fi again I decided to watch an episode of 'Татьянин день' instead. Bizarrely, everything seems to be going well for the characters for a change, with the result that Татьяна 1 and Сергей are on the verge of getting back together again. Given that there are 100+ episodes of the show left, this isn't the time for a happy ending so something bad is definitely going to happen to keep them apart.

Total - Russian: 45 mins, Croatian: 49 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:45 pm

15 June
Manic day. Being in a notice period is nowhere near as relaxing as I hoped.

Russian
Watched one more episode of the telenovela this evening. Татьяна 2 is faking a pregnancy in the hope that Сергей will stay with her rather than going back to Татьяна 1. Faking a pregnancy is obviously quite a difficult thing to do, but in this episode she came up with a plan to pay another girl (who has an unwanted pregnancy) to effectively sell her a baby. Clearly all going to end in tears.

Total - Russian: 45 mins, Croatian: 47 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:53 pm

16 June
Because I don't have enough on at the moment, I'm also trying to plan a trip to Scotland for next week. So not much language study going on!

Russian
I just watched one more episode of 'Татьянин день' this evening. Felt like I understood quite a lot today, which was good :) Not sure I'm necessarily learning a lot of new words by watching this, but I do think I'm getting better at recognising the words I already know.

Total - Russian: 45 mins, Croatian: 45 mins
8 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:46 pm

17 June
Tomorrow is my last day at work :shock:

Russian
Not much variety at the moment, I'm afraid. I just watched another episode of Russian TV this evening. The storyline is quite exciting at the moment - too complicated to explain it all, but today's episode featured a scene where Татьяна 1 was quite violently attacked by her evil husband, Игорь, while Сергей found out that his evil wife Татьяна 2 is the reason that Татьяна 1 spent years in prison.

Total - Russian: 45 mins, Croatian: 45 mins
9 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:06 pm

18 June
Last day at work survived! Feels really strange to be leaving after nearly 16 years. I've got a week off now before I start my new job.

Russian
I had too much to do to get out for a walk at lunchtime, so I went on my treadmill once I'd finally logged off and watched another episode of 'Татьянин день'. I felt like I probably had a higher level of comprehension while watching it on the treadmill because I wasn't distracted by anything else. This will be the last episode for a while because I'm going away next week.

Total - Russian: 45 mins, Croatian: 48 mins
12 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:11 pm

19 June
Off to Scotland today, so quite a lot of travelling. Still don't think it's quite sunk in that I've left my job.

Russian
I concentrated on watching TV during the week while I was at home and had strong internet. Now that I'm travelling and the internet is less reliable, I'm planning to get my Russian minutes in by reading instead. So this evening I spent 45 minutes or so reading 'Смерть и немного любви' and managed to finish another chapter. I'm about a quarter of the way through the book now and really enjoying the story, although possibly finding I'm a bit slower at reading this than I was at reading Agatha Christie.

Croatian
I watched another episode of 'Čista ljubav' on the treadmill this morning before I left home. I've been watching an episode every today, but today's felt more momentous because it's taken me over the threshold of 100 'films' for the listening part of my Croatian Super Challenge :)

Total - Russian: 48 mins, Croatian: 49 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:54 pm

20 June
Another day with a lot of travelling, as have been driving across Scotland in preparation for catching a ferry to the Isle of Arran this evening.

Russian
Because I booked this trip at very short notice, I could only get tickets for an evening ferry. We've been sitting in a supermarket car park this evening killing time before we can check in, so I used half an hour of that time to continue reading in Russian. Over 100 pages into the book now.

Total - Russian: 32 mins
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:31 pm

21 June
Mondays when you don't have to go to work are the best Mondays :) I've had a great time exploring the Isle of Arran today.

Russian
More reading today. I read for just under 40 minutes and go through 14 pages of the novel, so my reading speed in Russian is still pretty slow. That wasn't quite an entire chapter; the chapters in this book seem just a little bit too long for me to routinely read in one sitting. I did look up a couple of words: "рожа", which in the context of this chapter meant an ugly face (I think) and "сука" (as soon as I looked this up I realised I did actually already know what it meant).

Total - Russian: 39 mins
9 x

Return to “Language logs”