七転び八起き -- Japanese & Esperanto

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Re: 七転び八起き -- Japanese & Esperanto

Postby devilyoudont » Mon May 24, 2021 1:42 am

Just a bit of an update... I've been kind of all over the place. I'm not yet back to studying every day I'm doing like probably six days a week tho. I am also trying to build up a habit of reading before bed in English, with the intention of varying the language of my reading material once the habit is fairly strong. I'm probably at 4/7 days a week on the reading habit.

❂Japanese❂
-There's about 100 cards left in my anki review queue.
-I've been listening to at least 30 minutes a day of Japanese podcasts.
-I tried starting a number of Japanese games/games in Japanese... settled on ドラゴンクエストXI... Totally charmed by this game, and the story is not too difficult for me to follow so far... getting it to install in Japanese on my computer was a bitch tho. Now my entire system is in Japanese just for this one game.
-Watched 日本人の知らない日本語 episode 1 from golyplot's log... I liked this show, even if the foreign actors are a little dubious. Something to return to once I finish 2 other shows.
-Also periodically playing Hearthstone in Japanese while on the bus when I really should be studying kanji!
-Listening to music as well, if that counts for anything

✪Esperanto✪
-So, I helped a beginner with a comic translation project: patreon.com/posts/51545545 Even tho this is a patreon link, the comic is available there for free.
-I've began working on my own project, which will hopefully eventually be a picture book in Esperanto. My hope is that this creative project is small enough for me to actually succeed.
-Also chatrooms
-Also pictionary
-Also at least 1 haiku, I forget.
-I may be in a project to dub an anime into Esperanto. Someone asked me to do this because they had trouble finding female voice actors, but because my acting is truly terrible I've got a bit role as a grandmother. I am kind of fine with this because no part of me imagines that I could ever be a real actor, and I half expect to be kicked off the project if they can find literally anyone else lol.

☯Korean☯
-I'm trying rather desperately to get thru the show my friend lent me ages ago 다모. Desperately for me means I've watched 5 episodes in the last 20 days. This limits my Japanese TV time, but I also find myself remembering words I used to know such as 아이 and learning new words unintentionally such as 나리 which is honestly maybe the most useless word I could have learned yet here we are.

♚Spanish♚
-There were people chatting in Spanish in the Esperanto discord group and I of course could not help myself from participating.
7 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:00 pm

❂Japanese❂
-Up to date on kanji reviews, done anki all but one day every day during the last 3 weeks.
-Once I got thru the review queue I deleted the leech tag on all of my anki cards. I figured cards tagged over that period may not actually be leeches.
-Over the last week or so tho, I have been improving cards newly marked as leeches. Generally speaking, the leeches are getting worse... cards which get marked leech these days are genuinely kanji which I am not familiar with. In the past, leeches were mostly cards where I was making a small error (like mixing it up with a synonym, missing 1 stroke, or missing 1 component).
-I am broadly aware that depending how dedicated I am, I will finally finish this project in between three and six months. I am also aware that about half way thru that time, I will run out of cards which I recognize but can't produce, and will only be left with totally unfamiliar cards.
-Listening to podcasts for at least 30 minutes every weekday. I am broadly aware that I can improve my listening time, but I am somewhat discouraged by doing so by the podcast episodes being too long for my taste. The ideal length of a podcast episode for me in Japanese is 15 minutes or less. Above 10 minutes, it becomes sketchy if I am still truly paying attention to the audio or not. I can focus on a TV show for longer. Generally speaking, the duration of the podcasts I listen to is trending up, with one somewhat recent episode of Noriko's podcast being 40 minutes long. The only podcast I am aware of which puts out loads of content in manageable(for me) chunks is NHK... I know I would be listening to perhaps over an hour a day in Japanese if I start listening to NHK again... but more or less NHK is a mindkiller.
-I've been finishing my Japanese study routine too fast lately, which leads to me dabbling in other languages. To supplement my study, I've started reading graded readers from JGRPGさくら多読ラボ once I finish my flashcards on the bus every day. I've started with the absolute easiest one on the site, and figure I will work all the way thru their library. Once I finish reading these free ebooks (along with the book I am reading in English), I am hoping I will have a fairly strong habit of reading again, and will be able to commit to reading books for native speakers (prob children let's be real lmao) again without fucking off the moment it gets hard. I have already completed their easiest book 大きいかばんと小さいかばん and halfway thru their second easiest 蜘蛛の糸.
-I'm still bouncing around between a large number of games in Japanese... playing ドラゴンクエストXIS, I was wishing it was an MMO... turns out the previous title in the series was an MMO! So, I have a like level 4 dwarf priest in DQX now. MMOs are my favorite genre, and healers are my favorite role to play... so it is my hope that this game will be kind of more durable for me than some of the others have been.

✪Esperanto✪
-Finished all the cards in my interjections deck, for now my Esperanto flash cards are again review only. I am considering studing the Proverbaro Esperanta with anki. We shall see.
-Otherwise chatting mostly, also pictionary.

ↈGlobasaↈ
-I started dabbling in this conlang because I heard a song in it and was kind of amazed by how good this conlang sounds compared to most overs. Completed the basic grammar course in this language, made an anki review deck based on that course and distributed it to that community. Unsure if I will revisit this ever again.
7 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:38 am

❂Japanese❂
-More Kanji study
-Finished 蜘蛛の糸... this story really did not go how I expected.
-More Podcasts
-Woah hey I did some chatroom stuff in Japanese for the first time in an extremely long time!
-I've been thinking about buying a super cheapo harp and trying to learn to play an instrument so I watched some Japanese Youtube videos on harps.
-Already kind of burned out on DQX. Travel is just wayyy toooo sloowwww in this game. If I want to do an MMO I guess the choice is FFXIV.

✪Esperanto✪
-Chatting
-Flashcard reviews

☯Korean☯
-More 다모!

♚Spanish♚
-Some vague chatting
3 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:24 am

Family was visiting this week, so I barely got anything done at all.

❂Japanese❂
Bought some books on a trip to NYC! Started reading 鬼滅の刃. Did kanji stuff. Some chatting. Watched 羅生門 with my family (with English subtitles).

✪Esperanto✪
Chatting only.

♚Spanish♚
Bought this in NYC:

☯Korean☯
-More 다모!
2 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:09 pm

お久しぶりですね :) Long time no see

So, obviously I haven't been doing as much as I wanted, and there was a period where I was doing absolutely nothing. Where am I now? For the last two-ish months I've been doing listening practice on a daily basis, generally for at least twenty minutes. And... besides that I haven't been doing much else. For a while in the summer I was back to playing FFXIV in Japanese, but then all my gaming friends started playing it as well and I couldn't keep up with their progress thru the story when I was playing in Japanese. So, while that was something I was doing, it's not something I'm currently doing. I have downloaded a few games in Japanese onto my phone (アナデン + ぷちっとくろにくる) which I previously started but didn't get very far with, and I'm hoping to start filling dead time with these games instead of my usual time wasters.

I'm also hoping to start reading again. A constant struggle for me has been trying to balance foreign language reading with native language reading. Me and my husband read books together in English, and I'm not good enough to read books for adults in Japanese so I can't just buy the Japanese edition. But I think I've sorted out a solution now. I've unsubbed to most English language podcasts I listen to and subscribed to audible. I generally listen to podcasts at work so it's my hope that I can do my English language "reading" at work, and devote all of my normal reading time to Japanese. For the time being, I want to just read thru the 4 or 5 books I have around the house which I bought at some time or other and just didn't read. First up: Demon slayer/鬼滅の刃 vol. 1.

I've redone the first post of my log to just be a list of things I've used or plan to sometime use. It's happened a few times that I've had to go thru multiple previous logs thru dozens of posts trying to find some random thing. So from now on, I plan to not start new logs annually and I plan to actually maintain that list. But I will take a moment to here to mention 2 podcasts I've found which 1) are in Japanese and 2) generally post episodes around 10 minutes in length and 3) update frequently. They are: おばあちゃんの日本昔ばなし and 怪異伝播放送局

Alright, hope I will be here soon again and hope everything is going well for all of you.
7 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:20 am

Japanese
・Listened to podcasts 5 days this week for the same amounts of time as usual. Podcasts which work from a written script and recite that outloud are so much easier than podcasts where 2 people have a conversation. Depending on the day I may be able to understand every word in something scripted which remains rare in unscripted material.
・Watched Pinocchio dubbed in Japanese. I forgot to say I also recently watched Snow White in my last post. I'm not bothering to turn on Japanese language subtitles for these because they don't match the dubbing anyway which is a pet peeve for me. I had forgotten how weird Pinocchio is. A modern children's movie wouldn't just leave a bunch of children to a fate of being donkey slaves.
・A friend recommended to me さようならの朝に約束の花をかざそう so I also gave this a watch. English subtitles could not be turned off on the version I rented. I thought this movie was ok, with the first half being substantially stronger than the second half. I feel like I would have liked it more if it tried to do less. Instead, it seems like a lot of ideas just weren't fully developed. I was surprised to see that the screenwriter is the same person who wrote 泣きたい私は猫をかぶる which I absolutely hated.
・Finished reading 鬼滅の刃 vol 1. Already ordered vol 2. The anime which I've already seen is a close adaptation so there were no surprises here. Generally speaking, the anime is a little bit better than the manga even tho the manga is the original. The anime fixes some minor pacing issues, and of course the early art in the manga is a little rougher.
・Started reading volume one of 名探偵コナン. I previously started this last year but then got distracted and forgot about it. I generally like detective stories so this should be up my alley.
・Played a bit of アナデン one day this week. The way this seems to be working out for me right now is that if my husband falls asleep early, I play a game instead of reading so that I don't bother him by turning on the lamp.

Esperanto
・Started participating in chatrooms again... amazing how fast you remember when you're already advanced. Wish I could pick up Spanish or Japanese this easily after I don't study for a while.
・Ordered Poemo de Utnoa. I'm not really a poetry person but the concept of this looks interesting to me. Not exactly sure when I'll read this as I want to spend most of my reading time on Japanese. I'll figure out the specifics once I have it.
・Played Pictionary.
4 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:43 am

devilyoudont wrote:・A friend recommended to me さようならの朝に約束の花をかざそう so I also gave this a watch. English subtitles could not be turned off on the version I rented. I thought this movie was ok, with the first half being substantially stronger than the second half. I feel like I would have liked it more if it tried to do less. Instead, it seems like a lot of ideas just weren't fully developed. I was surprised to see that the screenwriter is the same person who wrote 泣きたい私は猫をかぶる which I absolutely hated.

Mari Okada is one of the better known anime screenwriters and is a bit of a divisive figure. The 2011 TV anime あの日見た花の名前を僕達はまだ知らない。 (usually shortened to あの花) is probably what established her reputation in the anime fandom as a writer with a penchant for the melodramatic and someone who puts a lot of her personal issues into her characters. Because of her reputation and name recognition there is a tendency to give her outsize credit and/or blame for anything that happens in stories she's attached to, even if her role in a particular project is limited to writing the dialogue with all the major plot beats having been decided before she was brought on board, not to mention the big role the director plays in the anime writers' room and the general rarity of writer-driven original anime projects.

さよ朝 however is perhaps the most clear-cut case of a 100% Okada brainchild, since she's not only credited with the script (with no separate "original idea" credit), but also the direction. While in practice most of the hands-on direction was most likely done by the assistant director Toshiya Shinohara, a writer having veto powers over all directorial decisions is still pretty significant (plus if you read Okada's autobiography 学校へ行けなかった私が「あの花」「ここさけ」を書くまで that had come out a year prior you can see a clear connection of the movie's themes to Okada's evolving feelings on motherhood in general and her personal struggles with her own mother in particular). While I haven't looked very deeply into the intricacies of 泣き猫's production, I remember that movie being promoted as a collaboration between Okada and the legendary director Jun'ichi Satou. While there are certain telltale signs of an Okada script in there (most notably the way she writes teenage characters) it's likely that her influence on the overall project wasn't quite as strong this time.
3 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:01 pm

Thanks! I'll need to seek out あの花 and see what I think of that :)
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:46 pm

devilyoudont wrote:I'm also hoping to start reading again. A constant struggle for me has been trying to balance foreign language reading with native language reading. Me and my husband read books together in English, and I'm not good enough to read books for adults in Japanese so I can't just buy the Japanese edition. But I think I've sorted out a solution now. I've unsubbed to most English language podcasts I listen to and subscribed to audible. I generally listen to podcasts at work so it's my hope that I can do my English language "reading" at work, and devote all of my normal reading time to Japanese.

Have you considered listening to your English podcasts at double speed to save time?
1 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:46 pm

golyplot wrote:Have you considered listening to your English podcasts at double speed to save time?

Thanks! This is a good idea
0 x

Return to “Language logs”