七転び八起き -- Japanese & Esperanto

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Re: 七転び八起き -- Japanese & Esperanto

Postby devilyoudont » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:59 am

Well this week was basically just a struggle with no real progress on anything made. Me and my husband got covid and even tho we were both vaccinated has still just been an extremely exhausting illness. Even doing something every day hasn't been possible because of how tired I am.

I did some quantity of listening practice in Japanese daily, absolutely nothing else. The book I ordered in Esperanto, Poemo de Utnoa arrived but I didn't start it yet. I want to start reading it but it seems like I should focus on doing books in Japanese instead. Maybe I can just do it 1 day a week or something, I'm not sure.
6 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:31 pm

I hope you and your husband get better soon.
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:57 pm

❂Japanese❂
• Finished the first chapter of 名探偵コナン. I dunno why but I'm having a little bit of trouble getting into this. Maybe now that the main character has turned into a child, it will pick up.
• With Disney films I had to skip to Dumbo because there weren't dubs available for a couple. Wow so this is a much stranger film than I had remembered. For example, Dumbo flying is not introduced until the last 9 minutes of the film! The majority of the film is just a kind of incoherent and sadistic exploration of circuses and child separation. The film pops up a warning about racism at the beginning and I think that acknowledgement rather than redaction is the right approach.
• I'm excited about a new game coming out next month. The game is not Japanese, but has already been out in Japan for over a year so I've been watching a ton of Youtube Videos and Streams about the game in Japanese. Unfortunately the Japanese language version of the game will not be made available in North America so I will play the game in English when it comes out.
• Watched the first episode of the anime vonPeterhof spoke about before--あの花. I was not able to find Japanese subs for this so I am also watching this raw. Because I have some minor hearing loss, my preference is to use subtitles even for my native language. But recently I've had bad luck finding Japanese subtitles and so am starting to get used to it. First impressions were that I found the premise to be both appealing and tragic. This show might end up making me cry. Negatives about the show so far would be that I found the teenage romance/sexuality aspect to be kind of cringe because Menma appears to be mentally arrested around the age of an elementary schooler (Somewhat obviously given her circumstances I guess) and that characters tend to speak over one another a lot in this show which plunges my comprehension down to zero.

✪Esperanto✪
• Chatting
• Pictionary
• Read the introductions to Poemo de Utnoa, one by Auld and one by the author. Made it thru about the first page of the poem which is not a lot but between that and the introductions I've realized that this is Ancient Aliens: The Epic Poem and I am kind of all about it. Page 1 and we already have space ships!
• There are 2 versions of Wordle in Esperanto and I have been playing both.

♚Spanish♚
• An Esperantist I am friends with has given up on language learning for now so I've switched to speaking to him only in his native language which is Spanish.
5 x

bolaobo
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin Chinese, German, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19845

Postby bolaobo » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:58 pm

Giving up on language learning? I hate to hear that.

How dedicated was he? I don't see people quitting language learning that often. Most of us seem to be in it for life!
0 x
Perfectionnement Arabe: 11 / 70 New Arabic Grammar: 30 / 51
Le Grec Ancien: 15 / 101
Hindi ohne Mühe: 44 / 54
Le Persan: 85 / 86
Le Turc: 19 / 71
Tobira: 3 / 15

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:38 pm

bolaobo wrote:Giving up on language learning? I hate to hear that.

How dedicated was he? I don't see people quitting language learning that often. Most of us seem to be in it for life!

Not dedicated at all. I guess we have opposite experiences, I feel like 9 out of 10 people who ask me about learning a language quit. Frightening to wonder if I might be the common factor :lol:
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:25 pm

I remember one time some friends happened to mention that they were studying languages on Duolingo and I was really excited to share a hobby with them and exchanged Duolingo usernames and so on. Within two weeks they had all quit and never mentioned it again.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:34 am

devilyoudont wrote:
bolaobo wrote:Giving up on language learning? I hate to hear that.

Not dedicated at all. I guess we have opposite experiences, I feel like 9 out of 10 people who ask me about learning a language quit. Frightening to wonder if I might be the common factor :lol:

It's not you. I honestly don't think I know anyone who has tried to learn a language and hasn't quit at some point along the way. Fall down 7 times get up 8 - that gets the job done. In fact, when someone says they quit, I just assume they took a pause.

Language Learners Anonymous....
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “Language logs”