2021: The Learned and the Loquacious [de, zh, es, ko, gd, ar]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Mandarin Chinese (B1), Spanish (A2), Polish (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17648

Re: 2021: The Learned and the Loquacious [de, zh, es, ko, gd, ar]

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:21 pm

DaveAgain wrote:1. Looking at German saturday schools in the UK, I found out that the one near me is also a TELC exam centre (in non-Covid times).

2. The BBC have a German language film I liked called Land of Mine, currently available on their catchup service.

Ooh, thank you for the link and the film rec! The school closest to me looks like it is primarily for kids lol but hopefully they do exams in non-Covid times; if not, I think the nearest place I can go is Manchester?? Maybe?? :lol: The film really looks great, I'm gonna try and watch it this week. :D

-----

Quick catch-up before a new week starts!

• [ar] Anki reviews.
  • [de] Wrote for r/WriteStreakGerman.
  • [es] Read some more of Los juegos del hambre.

• [ar] Studied a little of DLI L3 - still working on the vocab.
  • [ar] Anki reviews.
  • [zh] Watched Dreaming Back to the Qing Dynasty E07.

• [es] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Finished LL L15 and the third review.
  • [zh] Watched Dreaming Back to the Qing Dynasty E08-11.
  • [es] Read more of Los juegos del hambre.

• [gd] Anki reviews.

It's been a busy end of week/weekend - I didn't take Friday off (and I'm working tomorrow) even though they're bank hols (honestly very pleased with this decision because I've got a lot done, I've earnt two days I'm taking in May and I haven't had to go to a Zoom meeting in several days) and we've just had a lot going on around the house, which has just meant I've been really tired/not had time to do much during the day.

However, I did manage to get Lesson 15 done for Spanish - including the review. I still didn't do amazingly (57% overall, I think); but that's m u c h higher than I managed on the last review; I'm still just having issues with the translation exercises. (And some word order things that I'm not 100% sure are wrong, but I'm not sure how flexible Spanish word order is lol.)

I also clearly fell into a C-Drama hole there; I've not watched any more of CLoY this month but I thought yesterday I'd get away with just one episode of 梦回 and oh no it was cliffhanger city. Luckily, E11 ended on a scene with two characters I'm much less interested in so I managed to tear myself away and to my reading.

Tomorrow (or today, here), the #40h7dLC starts and I'm excited to spend a lot of time on Spanish. I've tried to even out the rest of my studying as much as possible (and I think I'll have higher numbers for Mandarin/Korean/maybe German, depending on what I watch), but I hope I get through a few lessons in the LL book, maybe finish Los juegos del hambre (I'm 54% in), and watch a bunch of stuff. I'm thinking about starting a streak on r/WriteStreakES - they also have a subreddit for speaking practice, which is tempting.

Idk, there's a lot to do and it's time to get on with it. :)
7 x
pronouns: she/her

: 31 / 365 365-Day Language Challenge; de, zh, es

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Mandarin Chinese (B1), Spanish (A2), Polish (A0)

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 am

• [de] Listened to more of Das Licht der Phantasie.
  • [es] Anki reviews.
  • [gd] Anki reviews.
  • [ar] Re-listened to all audio from DLI L1 while on a walk.
  • [de] Anki reviews.
  • [zh] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Studied some of Living Language L16.
  • [de] Wrote about ghosts for r/WriteStreakGerman.
  • [ar] Anki reviews.
  • [ko] Anki reviews.
  • [gd] Studied some of Teach Yourself L7.
  • [es] Watched Las chicas del cable E02-03.

A great start to the #40h7dLC - I managed 6h48m yesterday, with a split 40/60 for passive/active studying. Also had a great moment where two words/phrases I'd learnt in the LL Spanish lesson (un rato / acabar de) turned up within a sentence of each other in Los juegos del hambre.

Aiming for a pretty similar day today, though my nieces and nephews are coming for an outdoor belated Easter egg hunt, so I think I'm gonna have a bit less time this evening!
7 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:53 am

• [de] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Anki reviews.
  • [zh] Anki reviews.
  • [ko] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Finished LL L16 (80% on the 'examen').
  • [es] Read some more of Los juegos del hambre (intensive/extensive reading).
  • [de] r/WriteStreakGerman - wrote about James Bond.
  • [de] Anki reviews.
  • [gd] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Watched two more episodes of Las chicas del cable.

Didn't get started (really) until around 9pm, so got a lot less done yesterday in comparison to Monday - 4h23m. That means my total is 11h11m so far, so I'm over 25% of the way through, time-wise.

Just because of all the exposure, I can already feel a difference in my Spanish in terms of how ready I am to use it; it's right there now, instead of lurking behind the rest of my languages. I also now have definitive proof it's only taking ~one hour to get through each LL lesson - though I do try and split them over two days so that I have time to digest the grammar/usage notes before doing the exercises. Otherwise I'm definitely just remembering things.

I watched two more episodes of Las chicas del cable; it's still great, but mentally I'm here:

Oh, and after getting my corrections from r/WriteStreakGerman yesterday, I've learnt the difference between 'spuken' and 'heimsuchen'! I wrote about whether ghosts should haunt buildings or whether they should haunt people and didn't realise spuken is intransitive, while heimsuchen is the transitive verb.

I'm on a 37-day streak there now and I think writing in German is finally becoming a bit of fun, which, considering I've barely written anything of any length in German for ~seven years, means it's not taken that long to get there. I say a bit of fun, it's mostly because I wrote this semi-spooky, semi-tumblr-inspired-gothic intro to the ghosts piece that I really enjoyed, even if I did have to look up a bunch of words:

Es ist jetzt Frühling, also nicht die gruseligste Jahreszeit, aber der Frühling kann auch unheimlich sein. Lass mich ausreden: Alles beginnt zu wachsen - die Blumen, die Pflanzen, die kleinen Lebewesen, die unter deinem Haus krabbeln. Die Tiere, die Winterschlaf halten, beginnen aufzuwachen, auch wenn wir hoffen, dass die große Bestie mit gelben Augen und gähnendem Schlund noch schläft. Das Wetter tut, was es will, also geh behutsam, weil du ein Nebenfeld oder eine Eisfläche oder eine Schlammlawine antreffen könntest…

So, yeah, I think I'm having a lot of fun at the moment! Today I've planned a bunch of TV watching - some more of Las chicas del cable, as well as one episode of 梦回 and something in German (idk what yet, maybe part of the film DaveAgain recommended) - so that I can feel like I've rested a little from the intensity of the past couple of days. It's a heavy listening day, actually, aside from maintaining my streaks, so I'm looking forward to it! :D
7 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:49 pm

LunaMoonsilver wrote:Oh, and after getting my corrections from r/WriteStreakGerman yesterday, I've learnt the difference between 'spuken' and 'heimsuchen'! I wrote about whether ghosts should haunt buildings or whether they should haunt people and didn't realise spuken is intransitive, while heimsuchen is the transitive verb.

Thanks! You've mentioned two German words I didn't know that I knew. (They have cognates in Swedish - spöka and hemsöka, and work the same way as in German.)
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:46 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Thanks! You've mentioned two German words I didn't know that I knew. (They have cognates in Swedish - spöka and hemsöka, and work the same way as in German.)

Ahh, smart! I really should learn another Germanic language at some point; it'd be fun to see the similarities across them, at least. :lol:

--------

• [de] Listened to some more of Das Licht der Phantasie. (new phrase: Beachtung schenken)
  • [es] Listened to part of the audiobook for Buenos Presagios.
  • [de] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Played around on LyricsTraining for a while.
  • [es] Read some more of Los juegos del hambre (intensive and extensive reading).
  • [es] Listened to the audio (and did drills) for FSI Basic L2.
  • [gd] Anki reviews.
  • [zh] Anki reviews and added new words.
  • [es] Anki reviews.
  • [ar] Anki reviews.
  • [ko] Anki reviews.
  • [de] Wrote a post for r/WriteStreakGerman about the weather.
  • [zh] Watched Dreaming Back to the Qing Dynasty E12.
  • [es] Watched Las chicas del cable E06-07.

Actually spaced out a lot of my learning yesterday, yay! Also, I remembered that LyricsTraining is a thing (lol) and I even have the app, so I played around on that for a while.

I guess I enjoyed E12 of 梦回 but it was a lot of politics and not a lot of our main character, so it wasn't amazing. Las chicas del cable still, obviously, is - and I've only got one more episode left of season one!

I've not really planned what I'm doing today, but I'm at 18h52 so far - so should surge straight past that 50% mark. I need to shift from German to some of my other languages, though, as they're lagging behind (since they require actual study :lol:).
4 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:28 pm

• [ar] Listened to the audio from DLI L2 while on a walk.
  • [es] Studied half of Living Language L17.
  • [es] Played around on LyricsTraining.
  • [de] Played around on LyricsTraining - Deutschrap is a fun genre to try and keep up with! :lol:
  • [de] Anki reviews.
  • [zh] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Anki reviews.
  • [de] Wrote about LyricsTraining for r/WriteStreakGerman.
  • [gd] Anki reviews.
  • [ko] Anki reviews.
  • [ar] Anki reviews.
  • [ar] Studied some more of DLI L3.
  • [zh] Watched another episode of 梦回.
  • [es] Watched two more episodes of Las chicas del cable.

Found a nice lil 45 min walking route that loops round back to my house, so it's a good chance to listen to some music and then go through some audio. Listening to Arabic at lunch, too, gave me a bit more incentive yesterday to work on L3 in the evening. I've still not got a great grasp on the vocab, but I went over the dialogue and at least if I check the list, I understand what's being said.

LyricsTraining is fun but I'm not quick enough at clicking! :lol:

Got a better episode of 梦回 last night, too, which was to be expected since E12 was definitely all set up. The predictable love triangle (/square, but the other two guys don't know about the third one and Xiao Wei is less interested in him) is in full swing, so I'm kind of expecting a couple of episodes centred on that, though with some outside meddling, of course. I do quite like the pacing on this series so far, too; I thought it was weird that it took so long for Xiao Wei to do the initial time travelling, but that was some nice set up for her character and means that we're (or I, at least) rooting for the couple that likely will end up together at the end. Albeit, as long as that lasts for them.

And I thoroughly enjoyed the end of season one/start of season two of Las chicas del cable. Obviously, things were bound to go wrong, but I was very pleased with one specific thing that happened, though of course it's going to cause a lot of trouble down the line!

At 25h25m since Monday - hoping to jump past 30 hours today!
6 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:56 pm

Stopped daily updating (as if I don't do that all the time) because for a brief moment, the 40h7dLC took over my life - but I finished it, so here's what I did!

• [de] Wrote a post for r/WriteStreakGerman.
  • [es] Finished Living Language L17.
  • [de] Anki reviews.
  • [zh] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Anki reviews.
  • [ko] Anki reviews.
  • [gd] Anki reviews.
  • [ar] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Read Attack on Titan (C4-6).
  • [zh] Watched two episodes of 梦回.

Total: 237 minutes (3.95 hours), which was my lowest amount for the week. Not that surprising, considering it was Friday and I was starting to lag - and I figured I'd catch up over the weekend. Switched to reading Attack on Titan instead of Los juegos del hambre to take a bit of a break; and from Las chicas del cable to 梦回 for the same reason - though this got very exciting! Total overall 40h7dLC time by the end of Friday: 1,702 minutes / 28.37 hours.

• [zh] Studied some of NPCR L39. Went surprisingly well!
  • [es] Completed Living Language L18.
  • [es] Anki reviews.
  • [de] Anki reviews.
  • [zh] Anki reviews.
  • [ko] Anki reviews.
  • [gd] Anki reviews.
  • [ar] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Read Attack on Titan (C7-C10).
  • [gd] Went through lessons 5 and 6 from the LearnGaelic.scot Beginners' Course.

Saturday's a great day to absolutely smash your studying goals, right? Right! Unless you're me and put it off until 17:30 lol. I wanted to focus heavily on my three 'baby' languages today but kept putting it all off for some reason (probably tired); though I got into it quickly once I'd managed to get started.

Total for the day: 263 minutes (4.38h) / Total for the challenge: 1,965 minutes (32.75h).

11.04.2021 - FINAL DAY - 7.25h remaining

• [gd] Added vocab from LearnGaelic BC lessons 5-6 to Anki sheet; worked through L7-8.
  • [gd] Studied TY L7.
  • [gd] Watched S01E01 of Speaking our Language and studied the accompanying resources on LearnGaelic.
  • [de] Anki reviews.
  • [gd] Anki reviews.
  • [zh] Anki reviews.
  • [ko] Studied Living Language L3.
  • [ar] AnkiPod101 - Newbie L4.
  • [ko] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Anki reviews.
  • [ar] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Read Attack on Titan (C11-C13).
  • [es] Watched Brooklyn 99 S04E01.
  • [ko] Watched Crash Landing on You E11.

Finished yesterday with a daily total of 436 mins (7.27 hours) and a grand total of 2401 minutes / 40.02 hours!

I literally finished CLoY, added the time to my spreadsheet... and realised I was two minutes short, so nipped on Anki to clear that time! :lol:

But ultimately, as tiring as this challenge was, I had a lot of fun, I feel invigorated to study more (she says, having done nothing yet today :oops:), and I've definitely noticed an improvement.

My secondary goal (after hitting the 40 hours) was to have a minimum 50/50 split on passive/active learning: I ended on 41.48/58.52.

My final goal was to spend 20 hours on Spanish and four hours apiece on the other languages. I didn't manage this; German went over (6.88 hours), as did Mandarin (4.38 hours), but the others didn't hit their goals - even though they were close. (Spanish - 19.7h; Korean - 3.57h; Scottish Gaelic - 3.4h; Arabic - 2.08h.)

I wasn't sure, since I was splitting my time so much, how much of an improvement I would see after only a week. I knew I wouldn't make negative progress but I wasn't really expecting anything more than knowing a few more words. But the difference in my Spanish has been, I think, fairly dramatic. I didn't practise any output skills (writing/speaking) for Spanish, but all the listening and studying has meant Spanish is more-or-less the first language I jump to from English, and I feel like there are lots more spontaneous utterances in my head ready to go than there were a week ago.

I also noticed a difference in my listening comprehension. This is down to a few things:

1) I spent nearly eight hours listening or watching things in Spanish. That's not including textbook dialogues, etc., just TV and an audiobook.

2) I've picked up a lot of high-frequency words this week. I switched to reading for 45 mins a day instead of 30 and did a lot of intensive reading. I did Anki in all my languages every day. I studied more lessons than I've ever done.

3) I primarily watched Las chicas del cable and then, last night, tried an episode of Brooklyn 99. So I went from a Spanish-language drama, with lots of different characters, with very Castilian Spanish accents, to a dubbed show using some variant of Latin American Spanish. The difference was night and day, really; I understood so much more (yes, I know the plot of the episode, but it felt like understanding instead of remembering), to the point where I finally switched from English to Spanish subtitles.

Am I going to keep English subtitles off all the time now when I'm dealing with Spanish? No. At least, definitely not when watching Las chicas del cable, because if I miss a trick on that show, then I'm done for. But it's definitely an option for anything that's been dubbed that I've seen before.

And, realistically, I know I need to work to keep the benefits of the last week. I didn't do 100% of my Anki reviews every day, but I did cover every language, which is a habit I'd like to keep up. I'll probably drop back down to 30m reading for the time being, but now I know it's not that difficult to add an extra 15 here and there.

I also think I'll take part in this challenge again! It was a lot of fun and I got a lot done. I don't think I'll ever attempt it with just the one language (splitting my attention between a few was much more conducive to getting things done when I was bored of a resource/tired), but it wasn't especially difficult to achieve the overall result, though a more even spread of time would have been nice.
8 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:43 am

Congrats getting all 40 hours done for the challenge! I ended up with 25-ish. It was a fun thing to do, even though I didn't reach the 40.
2 x
Corrections are always welcome.

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:35 am

Elsa Maria wrote:Congrats getting all 40 hours done for the challenge! I ended up with 25-ish. It was a fun thing to do, even though I didn't reach the 40.

Thank you! I was going to jump on your log and ask how you'd done haha - 25 hours is awesome! Hope we get to do it again (though perhaps not too soon :lol:).

---

rip my anki streak :(

• [de] Anki reviews.
  • [zh] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Anki reviews.
  • [es] Read more of Los juegos del hambre.

• [de] Read some of Die Seelenlosen.
  • [ko] Watched Crash Landing on You E12.

Realised when I woke up this morning that I just... never opened Anki yesterday??? So goodbye to my 156-day streak, you will be missed etc. etc. Guess I just have to start over today.

Anyway, I think 40h7dLC wore me out more than I thought; today's the first day I've felt keen to get on with my actual work :lol: which isn't to say I've been doing nothing, it's just been a slog. But I have kept up my reading/writing streak and I'm semi-nearing the end of CLoY, so language learning has continued, too.

I was also contacted yesterday to translate someone's novel (see: the new German book I'm reading), which I'm likely to take up. Translation is not my day job so I've only been doing books through Babelcube - not ideal, but it keeps me practising and gives me the chance to earn something at the end, with much more flexible deadlines etc., due to the fact that the time is being put in for free at the outset. Ironically, I read a Twitter thread on Monday where someone was talking about how difficult it is to get into (traditional) literary translation (moreso for his language pairs than mine) and was thinking about the fact that I've never managed to do it because I don't have the initial time/money required or the industry knowledge (despite having done a Master's; we had one seminar on it and it did not much to make the publishing industry any more transparent) to get in there.

But, I'm working properly full-time now (when I'd done my degree, I was on a low-hours contract for a couple of years in retail, which ultimately meant working 50-60 hours a week and ugh, just a mess) and am hoping I'll be able to do primarily remote work as we start coming out of lockdown, so perhaps I'll find more time to pursue this stuff. I did the degree because I wanted to translate, after all; it's just I want to translate books.

Idk idk. Just don't be surprised if I'm listing more translation time over the next few months, I guess! :lol:
9 x

LunaMoonsilver
Green Belt

Postby LunaMoonsilver » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 am

• [de] Did the translation sample (~250 words took about 48 minutes; not bad, considering I'll get back into it).
  • [de] Anki reviews.

I did the translation sample right after work (which sucked, by the way, we spent five straight hours on Zoom because a few people were back in the office and wanted to have a meeting and I just... was so tired) and the author approved it that evening; looks like she's giving me a bit of time to finish reading the book before I start, which is great, because so many people don't think to - and I know that's a thing that happens sometimes with professional translators too, but they get readers' reports and stuff. Regardless, it's good because 1) I'll know the story going into it and 2) I can already pick out things that will be difficult to translate and check there's nothing about it I don't want to tie my name to (honestly, it seems fine so far, it's a fun book).

• [zh] Anki reviews.
  • [ko] Watched two more episodes of Crash Landing on You.

I was gonna watch one episode of CLoY but ended up with two because of the ending of E13 (I knew it wasn't going to end up the way they were hinting but still...). Two more episodes to go!

• [es] Anki reviews.

I wrote 600 words on UK reality TV (Homes under the Hammer, Come Dine with Me, Gogglebox) today. :lol: I didn't know I had it in me!

• [es] Anki reviews.

• [es] Anki reviews.

Overall: I thought I was going to get back into things last week, but then I spent five hours on Zoom on Wednesday, and then attended the Chatterbug conference on Thursday (another nine hours!!!) and I was just kind of sick of looking at screens. So, I did my best to keep my streaks up and didn't worry about things apart from that. I even read a book in English (We Don't Go Back: A Watcher's Guide to Folk Horror - very entertaining overview of around 90 folk horror films, so I also now have a list of films to watch!), which I haven't managed in a while.

Back on it this week, though!

I definitely want to finish reading Die Seelenlosen as soon as possible. I'm 20% through it so far (my Kindle estimates it'll take around 11.5 hours to finish, though it's clearly depending on the scenes; the descriptive stuff takes longer to read, so I think as we get more into the plot, I'll get faster) and would like to finish this week. And since I'm focusing on this for German, I think I'm going to make this week a Super Challenge-heavy week.

So, here are the goals I'm setting myself (until the end of Sunday):

• Finish reading Die Seelenlosen (~475 pages remaining).
  • Read 120 pages in Spanish.
  • Read 100 pages in Mandarin. (Turns out there's audio for the graded readers I've been getting, so this is less difficult than it first appears!)
  • Watch 3hrs in German.
  • Watch 3hrs in Spanish. (Keep on with Las chicas del cable!)
  • Watch 4hrs in Mandarin. (Again, catch up with 梦回.)
  • Watch 2hrs in Korean. (Finish CLoY - that should be ~3hrs or so, actually.)
  • Watch 2hrs in Scottish Gaelic. (I remembered BBC Alba exists, so this is less difficult than it seems.)

I think, then, the only formal study I'll be doing this week will be for Arabic, which is the only language I'm significantly behind on in terms of my time goals this month.
9 x

Return to “Language logs”