Slow Boat to China (and more!) [ja]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: Slow Boat to China (and more!) - Tibetan / +

Postby księżycowy » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:18 am

I admit I haven't done much over the last few days, but I did get serious today for about 10 minutes. I listened to the material leading up to Unit 1 Drill 1, and did Drill 1. I got a few wrong, so I'll do this drill again tomorrow.

I'm going to try to stick to doing 10~15 minutes a day, if I can.
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:59 pm

As cool as Tibetan is, and as much as I do legitimately want to learn it, I'm putting this log on hold for now. I feel the strong urge to get my heritage languages going. Between that and reviewing my Hebrew and Greek, I've got to buckle down and get going.

One day I'll be back! :)
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:51 pm

My mother's family immigrated to the USA from England in the 1680s, and my Father's family from England in the 1720s. So I learned my heritage language first, then started on the other stuff. :D (Although somehow a bit of Iroquois seems to have worked the way into the DNA, but I'm going to ignore that)
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

lowsocks
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner), German (beginner)

Postby lowsocks » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:10 am

rdearman wrote:(Although somehow a bit of Iroquois seems to have worked the way into the DNA, but I'm going to ignore that)
I don't want to derail księżycowy's log. But I would just say, that if I had some indigenous American ancestry, I would probably be rather proud of it. (But I almost certainly do not have any.)
2 x
One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:12 am

lowsocks wrote:
rdearman wrote:(Although somehow a bit of Iroquois seems to have worked the way into the DNA, but I'm going to ignore that)
I don't want to derail księżycowy's log. But I would just say, that if I had some indigenous American ancestry, I would probably be rather proud of it. (But I almost certainly do not have any.)

Oh it isn't I'm not happy about it, just don't want to learn yet another language. :)
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Slow Boat to China (and more!)

Postby księżycowy » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:17 am

No worries about getting my log off topic, guys. I appreciate the conversation. :)

rdearman wrote:My mother's family immigrated to the USA from England in the 1680s, and my Father's family from England in the 1720s. So I learned my heritage language first, then started on the other stuff. :D (Although somehow a bit of Iroquois seems to have worked the way into the DNA, but I'm going to ignore that)

As best as I know, my mother's grandfather come over directly from County Cork Ireland (though in all likelihood, he spoke English as his native language, but no-one seems to know either way), my father's mother's parents emigrated from Poland (and died shortly there after). I'm least sure about my grandfathers and their families. All I know is that they had German descent, and it is thought that they had also came from families that had recently (1900's?) emigrated (but this last part is speculation at best).

My Polish grandmother was in contact with family in Europe for a while, as we have letters written in Polish and English addressed to her. It would be cool to track any of them down, if I could. There is some questioning if she was truly Polish or not, as her parents last name was peculiar. Wicktor, I believe it was. Or something similar. She ended up being adopted by a Polish speaking couple here in the states after her parents died, and that's how she learned and ended up speaking Polish. Unfortunately when she got married her husband (my grandfather) discouraged her from continuing to speak the language. By the time I came into the picture and was interested, she didn't really speak it at all. (I'm not sure if that was due to her losing a lot of it, or because of painful memories or something of the sort. But she did encourage me to try to learn it. By contrast, my Irish grandmother (who had only spoken English, and only heard Irish spoken rarely) always said I couldn't learn the language. I'm sure she simply meant that it was a difficult language to her, and it would be near impossible to learn from books in her estimation.)

Anyway, I digress. :P
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Slow Boat to China (and more!) [ja]

Postby księżycowy » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:58 pm

*inhale*
*blows out*
*hack, hack*
Well, this thread has collected some dust!

Let's make some preparations for 2023!
These are tentative plans and goals at best, as while I do have a deep and meaningful connection to Japanese, I don't have any exterior or compelling reasoning to learn the language (such as a job, or moving to Japan, or something like that). But that's what's up to bat first. There are a lot of Chinese students on the North end of the campus (and surprisingly even a few on the south side, where it's all theology all the time!), so I might come down with a bad case of Mandarinphasia at some point. But my immune system seems strong at the moment, and able to fend it off.

For the present, I have selected Japanese: The Spoken Language by Harz and Noda as my principle textbook. Mostly because of the valuable information on the pitch accent system (and it's implementation in both words and sentences), and other key matters in pronunciation and keigo that most newer, sleeker textbooks seem to gloss over. Having said that, I may very well switch (or add, we'll see) to Minna no Nihongo by 3A over the summer, when I have more time, and do not have any classes. (I've heard that JSL makes a great supplementary text, so I might play around with that possibility. But I also have a website that lists all vocabulary and sentences with pitch accent for MnN, so after a bit of JSL I might be able to feel my way around with other resources and leave it behind. Time shall tell.)

My plan is just to do a small section of the textbook at a time. I'm not looking to overburden myself. And there will be some days (perhaps many) where I don't do much, if anything. But I hope to hang on enough to actually progress, without the need to constantly go back and relearn/check/review.

Japanese is currently a 365 Challenge language, but it might be taken off the list, depending on how things go. I make no pressing goals or plans with this language at this time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I'll tentatively plan to post updates once a month. I'll probably make monthly goals for now and see how that goes. I'll post my first set tomorrow, January 1st 2023.
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:56 am

Goals for January:
Japanese: The Spoken Language 1 by Harz & Noda
  • Lesson 1
    • Section A
      • Core Conversations
      • Miscellaneous Notes
      • Structural Patterns
      • Drills
    • Section B
      • Core Conversations
      • Miscellaneous Notes
      • Structural Patterns
      • Drills
    • Section C
      • Easedropping
      • Utilization
      • Check-up

I'll be lucky if I get to all of that by February 1st. :P But it's an attempt at something.
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:07 pm

I'd really love to get back to an Asian language over the summer, but I'm not sure if I'll be able too. I guess I'll see how Irish (and then German) and Greek (and probably Hebrew) get on and take it from there. Too many languages, not enough time!
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”