Slow Boat to China (and more!) [ja]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: Japanese - Finish the Darn Textbook!

Postby księżycowy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:13 pm

księżycowy wrote:For this next week I'll do the following (or at least die trying):

• Minna no Nihongo - Lesson 8
    • Main Textbook Drills
    • Main Textbook Exercises
    • Main Textbook Dialogue
    • Bunkei Renshucho
    • Hyoujun Mondaishuu
    • Shokyu de Yomeru
    • Choukai Tasuku

(Which probably means this is my last week alive. :lol: )

That was indeed my last week left alive. As is evident by my lack of posting here since. :P

Since posting last some life stuff got in the way. We've had some issues with pets (and unfortunately lost a few), and other things have happened that have made my progress less than ideal. Either way, I'm (hopefully!) back at it, and picking up where I left off. So far I've almost completed Lesson 8, and have all but completed the Lesson 1-8 review in the Mondaishuu workbook. I'll finish up the remaining odds and ends this week, and work on the damn kanji, since that's something that I've been lagging on.

I also decided to cancel my subscription to Pimsleur (for now at least). MnN will be my main focus for the time being. I'll still add in a few of the sections from the Shadowing book, and probably try to figure out the first lesson in the Pronunciation book as well.

More to come, so long as life stops throwing me curve balls.
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:32 pm

So, life has indeed continued to through me curve balls. But it's time to get back on this horse, and hang on, even if I have to white knuckle the shit out of it.

I'll be working on Lesson 9 this week, and will post updates this weekend.
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Japanese - Finish the Darn Textbooks! *New and Improved?*

Postby księżycowy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:41 pm

Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth (for the most part) for those of you who follow this log. I'm still around and kicking. Most importantly kicking with Japanese still! :)

I'm taking a page from Iguanamon, and going through three courses now. I'm continuing to make progress in Minna no Nihongo (even though I'm still only on lesson 9 at the moment). I've also started to go through Genki, having completed Lesson 1. It was mostly review, but still very good to do! I am also starting to add in the new Tobira Beginning textbook (volume 1). I'm hoping that this will help me focus on Japanese for a while. At least enough to finish a textbook or three.

More to come.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:00 pm

In all honesty, I have not felt super gungho about Japanese. Especially after hearing of the border closure (again!) and with applying to PhD. programs. I intend to still continue, but these last few weeks have been mostly consumed with applying to universities and restarting some Biblical Greek.
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:57 am

księżycowy wrote:In all honesty, I have not felt super gungho about Japanese. Especially after hearing of the border closure (again!) and with applying to PhD. programs. I intend to still continue, but these last few weeks have been mostly consumed with applying to universities and restarting some Biblical Greek.

Good luck. Hearing about the border closure really demoralized me as well.
0 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:22 am

Yeah, I even had a potential job lined up over there too. I hope that the situation changes soon. But then again, I've also been applying to PhD programs, so I don't want a difficult decision if I can avoid it. :P
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:04 pm

Nothing from the past little while. Hope to pick up the slack a bit this week.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:48 pm

Well, I have, unfortunately, decided to shelf this endeavor for the time being. I don't necessarily see it as profitable to rush through the textbook before March on the slim hope that the border reopens in time. Plus, I really want to revive my Greek and Hebrew.

I do hope to reactivate this language and continue at some time this next year though. And, if I do end up going to Japan in March, I'll make the best of it and cram while I'm over there. :P
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Slow Boat to China (and more!) - Tibetan / +

Postby księżycowy » Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:23 am

I've updated the first post of this log to reflect recent changes.

I've decided to learn some Lhasa Tibetan at the moment. Idk, it just seems like a fun language, and I've been interested in Tibetan culture for a long, long time. I have a copy of Goldstein & Nornang's Modern Spoken Tibetan and the audio for at least Part 1 (the lessons). I've still deciding if I would like to learn the writing system as well or not (Goldstein and Nornang mainly use romanization), but that's neither here nor there. I plan to learn whatever I can when I have the time and energy, as I still intend to make Greek and Hebrew my focus at the moment.

I do have other resources for Tibetan too, but I'm hoping that using Goldstein & Nornang will make it easier, and thus take lesson time away from Greek and Hebrew. Though I would like to be able to read Tibetan sooner that later. I might just go through the script lessons in Fluent Tibetan. We'll see.

I should probably also note that I do not (currently at least) intend to make Tibetan part of my 365 challenge.

I'll see how far I get into Lesson 1 this week and take it from there.
6 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Re: Slow Boat to China (and more!) - Tibetan / +

Postby księżycowy » Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:25 pm

So far I've decided to go with Fluent Tibetan by Magee, et al. That way I can learn the alphabet and hopefully that will not be too much at once. It also miffs me that I don't have the audio for the monologues or dialogues in Part II for Goldstein & Nornang. I am looking at seeing if I can track down the rest of the audio, but until such a time, I'll stick with Fluent Tibetan alone.

So far I've been working on learning the first row: , , ,
I'll probably start working on Drill 1 (recognition of the letters in this row) today.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”