PM's The Norwegian Resistance - Target 1000 hrs +++

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

PM's The Norwegian Resistance - Target 1000 hrs +++

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:30 am

It's time for an anthem...

This is the Norwegian Resistance. 2021 is all about learning and advancing significantly in Norwegian for me. Thus, I must resist the serious study of all other languages.... but maintain them, yes to a limited extent.
---------------------------------------------

From the UK band Muse, their song Uprising:

The paranoia is in bloom
The P.R. transmissions will resume
They'll try to push drugs, keep us all dumbed down
And hope that we will never see the truth around, so come on

Another promise, another scene, another
Packaged lie to keep us trapped in greed with all the
Green belts wrapped around our minds and endless
Red tape to keep the truth confined, so come on

They will not force us
And they will stop degrading us
And they will not control us
We will be victorious, so come on

Interchanging mind control
Come let the revolution take its toll
If you could flick a switch and open your third eye
You'd see that we should never be afraid to die
So come on

Rise up and take the power back
It's time the fat cats had a heart attack
You know that their time is coming to an end
We have to unify and watch our flag ascend
So come on

They will not force us
They will stop degrading us
They will not control us

Hey, hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey, hey
Hey, hey, hey, hey

They will not force us
They will stop degrading us
They will not control us
Hey, hey, hey, hey

--------------------------

Interestingly, inspiration for the album which the song comes from, The Resistance came from George Orwell's 1984. Any wonder I like it (the song and the book). Of course I also like their political stance here. It figures that Rage Against the Machine are cited as one of their strong influences. Politically, I think 2021 is a pivotal year and... I'll say no more and leave the fight to the Norwegian Resistance, to which I am a fully fledged (imaginary and sole?) member...

edit:
Actually, I've taken to watching a Norwegian political series on Netflix called Occupied, and convinced my wife to take part (NO audio, EN subs). It's about a foreign country occupying Norway (I won't spoil it for anyone). As far as Norwegian TV series go, it's not the best I've seen, but it's quite good nonetheless. Actually, all the Norwegian series I've watched have been quite high quality, so competition is strong. I'm not learning much really from the dialogues, language-wise, but it's a bit of fun for the moment until I go into overdrive study mode. I can pick out some simple sentences and phrases, however.

Lately I've dropped the course books and even the car audio completely, actually all forms of language study in the last two weeks after the 6WC (except language use/reading with the kids) and thought I'd just pause before the new year starts. But hey, come 2021, no messing around. Okay I might continue to have some fun, but I'll also be deadly serious about my Norwegian plans.

A house move is potentially on the horizon yet again. This will be the fourth big house move with 3 children in a bit over a year, and where we're going (if it all works out - still within the state btw), I'll need to put in much time to learning, maintaining and developing the property. So, I can't mess around in 2021 if I'm to actually reach 1000 hours of Norwegian, given i must resurrect my exercise routine as well and maintain my French and Dutch reading with the kids. Okay, here comes 2021....

-----------------------------------
Edit:
My previous logs

Here is a link to the first page of my most recent log I created while competing in the last 6 Week Challenge with Norwegian:
PM's Norwegian Plandemic

Here are the links to the last pages of my older logs:
PM's French Adventures in the Matrix
PM's Target Europe - FR, NL and on again off again NO
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by PeterMollenburg on Tue May 03, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
7 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Re: PM's 2021 Language Log - The Norwegian Resistance

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:31 am

Planned resources:

Audio courses
Teach Yourself - Get Talking Norwegian in Ten Days
Teach Yourself - Keep Talking Norwegian
Teach Yourself - Speak Norwegian with Confidence
Pimsleur Norwegian
Pimsleur Norwegian 2

Beginner's Courses
Learn Norwegian - Sverre Klouman
The Mystery of Nils
Ny i Norge (1990 version)
Beginner's Norwegian
Hugo Norwegian in Three Months
Norwegian on the Web
Assimil - Le norvégien
Teach Yourself Norwegian (1997 version)
Colloquial Norwegian (1995 version)
Ny i Norge (2003 version)
Norsk - nordmenn og Norge 1
Glossika 1
Linguaphone Norsk Kurs
Calst
Glossika 2

Intermediate/Advanced Courses
Glossika 3
Mysteriet om Nils (The Mystery of Nils part 2)
Norwegian on the Web 2
Norsk - nordmenn og Norge 2
Enjoy Norwegian - Teach Yourself
Last edited by PeterMollenburg on Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
3 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Re: PM's 2021 Log - The Norwegian Resistance - Target 1000 hrs +++

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:50 pm

Netflix just dropped the second season of Hjem til Jul, and I really enjoyed it. Bonus points for a real ending, unlike season 1. Very charming cast, a bit like Notting Hill in Norway.
3 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:14 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:Planned resources:

Wow, only 20 courses? This is progress ! :lol:
10 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:07 am

Lawyer&Mom wrote:Netflix just dropped the second season of Hjem til Jul, and I really enjoyed it. Bonus points for a real ending, unlike season 1. Very charming cast, a bit like Notting Hill in Norway.

Well, it depends: if you're watching it to see who she ends up with, then yes you will be disappointed with season 1. If instead you watch to see how she grows as a character, then I thought the ending was perfect. ;)

Borderliner's ending was bad--I'm not sure a second season could fix it.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:53 pm

Lawyer&Mom wrote:Netflix just dropped the second season of Hjem til Jul, and I really enjoyed it. Bonus points for a real ending, unlike season 1. Very charming cast, a bit like Notting Hill in Norway.

The first season was just something to watch for me, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Thanks for letting me know that there's a second season.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:55 pm

iguanamon wrote:

Wow, only 20 courses? This is progress ! :lol:

I think we know that there'd be a lot more on my list if there were a lot more available... but hey, we can agree to call it 'progress' :lol:
5 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:58 pm

Xenops wrote:

Well, it depends: if you're watching it to see who she ends up with, then yes you will be disappointed with season 1. If instead you watch to see how she grows as a character, then I thought the ending was perfect. ;)

Borderliner's ending was bad--I'm not sure a second season could fix it.

Sounds good.

As for Borderliner... I can't even remember what happened in the end, but I remember being generally quite impressed with the series. What we need is a second season of Ragnorök.
0 x

Gustav Aschenbach
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:50 am

Audio courses
Teach Yourself - Get Talking Norwegian in Ten Days
Teach Yourself - Keep Talking Norwegian
Teach Yourself - Speak Norwegian with Confidence
Pimsleur Norwegian
Pimsleur Norwegian 2

Beginner's Courses
Assimil - Le norvégien
Beginner's Norwegian
The Mystery of Nils
Ny i Norge (1990 version)
Learn Norwegian - Sverre Klouman
Hugo Norwegian in Three Months
Norwegian on the Web
Ny i Norge (2003 version)
Norsk - nordmenn og Norge 1
Teach Yourself Norwegian
Colloquial Norwegian
Linguaphone Norsk Kurs

Intermediate/Advanced Courses
Mysteriet om Nils (The Mystery of Nils part 2)
Norwegian on the Web 2
Enjoy Norwegian - Teach Yourself
Norsk - nordmenn og Norge 2

Interesting, why so many beginner's courses if you want to make the best out of one year/of 1000 hours? Given that you already have a basis in Norwegian and that it is a Germanic language just like English, I would finish Assimil and then plunge into native material while studying grammar (which is easy because English and Norwegian grammar are so similar). Learning how to say "my name is", "the dog is outside" again and again isn't the most sensible approach imo. The focus should rather be on advanced courses, since going from intermediate to advanced takes much, much more time than from zero to intermediate. But you only list a handful of intermediate/advanced courses and just so many beginner's courses.
3 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:13 pm

Gustav Aschenbach wrote:Interesting, why so many beginner's courses if you want to make the best out of one year/of 1000 hours? Given that you already have a basis in Norwegian and that it is a Germanic language just like English, I would finish Assimil and then plunge into native material while studying grammar (which is easy because English and Norwegian grammar are so similar). Learning how to say "my name is", "the dog is outside" again and again isn't the most sensible approach imo. The focus should rather be on advanced courses, since going from intermediate to advanced takes much, much more time than from zero to intermediate. But you only list a handful of intermediate/advanced courses and just so many beginner's courses.
Just Assimil is not enough IMO. I think you're going in the opposite extreme and what you're suggesting would be worse than doing 20 beginner courses. Assimil alone is not enough to learn a language in a balanced way and does not adequately train productive skills.

I myself was working on 6 Norwegian courses simultaneously when I recently spent a month studying the language. Three of them were specifically chosen to drill various active skills and fill in the gaps left by passive courses like Assimil. One of them was Pimsleur, which is on PM's list.

The way PM is choosing to study is not exactly the way I would do it, but he has not asked for my opinion and I will not be indulging in LLORG's favorite pastime, the "give PM unsolicited advice" game.
5 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Return to “Language logs”