Sunshine Sparkling In The Sky (A Summer of Language Variety)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
eido
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: No Expectations, No Problem

Postby eido » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:14 pm

I realized last time I updated this that I was writing a copy of previous posts I made with slightly different words lmao

But I didn't care 'cause the emotions were different. I hope that came across.

Anyway, it's been almost a month and I'd thought I'd leave a quick update.
  • I'm doing much better with not listening to k-pop, since it was a personal goal to cut down on it. I haven't completely cut it from my musical "diet," as I like to call it, but I've replaced it with some other stuff. Unfortunately, it's in English :lol: I got tired of chasing down deep cuts and instead went back to hits my parents would recognize. Currently I'm listening to "I Want You Back" by The Jackson 5 (from Guardians of the Galaxy's "Awesome Mix", though I'd heard of it before :P).
  • However, I've been using the lyric videos still for k-pop songs to inform my listening comprehension. I'm both surprised and not surprised at how many I have memorized. It's just a matter of singing/rapping as fast as the natives haha
  • The DELE is in my future, I just don't know when. I think I'll aim for the B2, or with a little prep, C1. It's a thing, but it's not scheduled; so don't get excited.
  • Polish lessons this summer? Anything could happen!
That was your check-in ;) See ya whenever.
7 x

eido
Brown Belt

Re: No Expectations, No Problem

Postby eido » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:55 pm

Recently (within the past 3 days) I’ve been text chatting in Korean a lot. Luckily I’ve been able to make more Korean friends that would correct me if necessary, though there are misunderstandings born of language fluency and sometimes general miscommunication that occur. We do our best to resolve them, though.

I figure the only way I’ll get better with a language like Korean is to throw myself at it and see what sticks. It’s a similar method to what I used for Spanish, but less effective due to different grammar than the Western kind. Or, at least, that’s how it seems.

I hope to make more progress as time goes on. It may be slow, but it’ll hopefully work more effectively than just sitting on it and doing nothing.
7 x

eido
Brown Belt

Re: Sunshine Sparkling In The Sky (A Summer of Language Variety)

Postby eido » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:14 pm

Two posts in a week after being gone for a month? Could I be making a comeback? :lol: We'll see.

Anyway, some of you may have noticed I updated my log's first post to reflect summertime studying. Hopefully it's brief enough.

I got started on it a bit early.

I have used a couple more Audible credits to purchase audiobooks in Spanish, and I bought a subscription to JapanesePod101. I'm starting to maneuver all my books around my house for optimal language study. Right now, due to what I chose to focus on, I don't need the Icelandic, Norwegian, or Faroese books, so I can put those away and retrieve the Hindi, Chinese, and Polish, among others.

I already began my Japanese studies this week, trying to read some with japanese.io and taking tests as well as going through dialogs on JapanesePod. I selected "beginner" as a level for my learning plan, and I got 12/14 on the first "diagnostic test" provided. In addition, I took the last test of the unit (N5/N4 Prep) and scored 16/50 which is pretty bad, but for not having fully studied all these months (or even years), I don't consider it a major loss. I did it mostly by ear rather than by learned grammar rule, so maybe that's not what the test intended. However, if I can get a decent enough score at the start, I think the tests might be a mite too easy and poorly designed.

I also used my other Pod subscriptions to study Polish and Chinese. I like getting the Word-of-the-Day emails in Polish, and I signed up for a similar mailing list in Japanese. I try to ask my parents about the word when I see it in my email.

I'm still toying with the idea of Polish lessons... but I'd really only use them for speaking, and my parents are still pretty good at evaluating pronunciation.

Therefore, I think I just need a Pole outside my family to practice a more Standard Polish than what my parents can come up with. My parents speak fine, but as they term it, their speech is, "street Polish". However, I really need to get the grammar down and a core vocabulary in my head first before I attempt to blab.

That's pretty much all I did this week. I took a Chinese test on ChineseClass at the intermediate level (the beginning) and got around 40%. I listened to about 10 minutes of Spanish in audiobook form.

That's about it ~!
9 x

Return to “Language logs”